Load balancing link aggregation

whoami-pwd

Cadet
Hi!
I have a TBS-464 QNAP NAS which I use with Truenas Core v13 (USB drive). TBS-464 has 2 lan ports and I want to use them both for the load balancing link aggregation (LACP is not being supported with my router).

My router has multiple 2.5gbps lans and each one has its own subnet. So I was trying to setup Load Balancing using separate subnets on ports AND using bridge on these ports (same subnet on both ports).

Unfortunately nothing works... I tried everything described in this thread. I tried deleting interfaces via console, setting up static/dhcp, removing one and leaving second one with static and lagg0 with dhcp.

I would really appreciate help with this!
Let's try with a starting point of clear installation where I have a ue0 (192.168.131.1) and ue1 (192.168.132.1). Both DHCP at this point.

Thank you in advance.

whoami-pwd

Cadet
Hi!
I have a TBS-464 QNAP NAS which I use with Truenas Core v13 (USB drive). TBS-464 has 2 lan ports and I want to use them both for the load balancing link aggregation (LACP is not being supported with my router).

My router has multiple 2.5gbps lans and each one has its own subnet. So I was trying to setup Load Balancing using separate subnets on ports AND using bridge on these ports (same subnet on both ports).

Unfortunately nothing works... I tried everything described in this thread. I tried deleting interfaces via console, setting up static/dhcp, removing one and leaving second one with static and lagg0 with dhcp.

I would really appreciate help with this!
Let's try with a starting point of clear installation where I have a ue0 (192.168.131.1) and ue1 (192.168.132.1). Both DHCP at this point.

Thank you in advance.
Or I can try with a bridge mode. Just let me know which one is better please.

To use LACP, the switch needs to be configured for LACP as well as TrueNAS. Your use case will determine which load balancing method would work best. A single traffic flow can only consume the bandwidth of a single link. The load balancing method determines which link should be used. As an example, the switch should load balance towards TrueNAS using the source IP/MAC. TrueNAS should load balance towards the switch using the destination IP/MAC. Having multiple different IP interfaces with TrueNAS can be done, but you can end up with some unexpected behavior if you aren't careful.

whoami-pwd

Cadet
I see, thank you. Right now I am trying to setup it with a bridge enabled on the router:

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 22.46.22.png

And here is what I have right after reset to defaults on truenas:

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 22.56.20.png

Could you please tell me if it is possible to enable load balancing here and in what order and what manipulations I need to perform with these interfaces?

asap2go

Patron
I see, thank you. Right now I am trying to setup it with a bridge enabled on the router:

View attachment 72309

And here is what I have right after reset to defaults on truenas:

View attachment 72310

Could you please tell me if it is possible to enable load balancing here and in what order and what manipulations I need to perform with these interfaces?
Click Add
Name: yourNameHere
Interface Type: Link Aggregation
DHCP: enabled
Protocol: Loadbalance
Choose both physical interfaces (ue0 & ue1)
Save
Test changes
Apply if successful

If testing fails and you can't reach the GUI then don't worry. TrueNAS will revert the changes within a minute or so.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You cannot have two interfaces with IP addresses in the same /24.
You should not use USB Ethernet.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Also, though I doubt this is directly your problem, it seems (to me, at least) to make a lot more sense to do the network configuration at the console, whether physically or remotely using IPMI/iLO/iDRAC. After all, the web UI depends on a network connection, and that's what you're messing with there.

whoami-pwd

Cadet
You cannot have two interfaces with IP addresses in the same /24.
You should not use USB Ethernet.
Sorry, maybe i dont understand it right, but these are the only interfaces i have on the device (qnap tbs-464). Are you saying that it is not possible to setup link aggregation then?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh god, they used USB Ethernet NICs in that thing? That is disgusting, you should get a refund ASAP. And people ask why I don't trust these big-name NAS vendors...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, maybe i dont understand it right, but these are the only interfaces i have on the device (qnap tbs-464). Are you saying that it is not possible to setup link aggregation then?
It is not possible to use this thing for anything but their own firmware. USB eithernet is notoriously crappy and not well supported at all in FreeBSD. By which I mean known to fail in all sorts of interesting ways. Definitely not suitable for a server.

whoami-pwd

Cadet
Unfortunately it is a bit late for me to get a refund. Initially I was looking for something compact into a 10” rack stand. That is why I bought this little box full of surprises.

I think I will continue using it with Truenas OS and 1 lan connected then. Hopefully it might work.

:(

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You might have a better experience - independent of the load balancing issue - with TrueNAS SCALE.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thank you! Will definitely try it. I hope 8gb ram will be sufficient :)
A bit tight given that Linux uses only half the memory for ARC. Any way to upgrade to 16 G?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Give it a try and don't expect to be able to run VMs or too many "apps" besides basic NAS operation. You should be fine then.

Davvo

MVP
A bit late, but the following resource might help.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
By looking at the interface utilisation graphs?