issues on Mac with network share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinas

Contributor
Hey,

I am sharing drives for Windows, Mac, and Linux. I have no issue on Windows and I have not noticed any issues on Linux but I rarely use it.

I noticed that I get a lot of issues with accessing on the Mac whether I am using the apple AFP share.

Issues I get:
1. If I copy a folder/file on the network drive to the Mac or to another location on the network drive, sometimes it actually copies a totally different folder/file.

2. Sometime it doesn't copy the file I wanted it cuts another file to the location I wanted regardless whether the destination is the Mac or network drive. in the past I have assumed it has copied the wrong file, so I delete it and afterwards realize the original is gone too.

3. I get an error from the finder saying I don't have permission (when I definitely have permission) then the next thing I look and its after copying or doing the task I attempted to do.

4. Folders/files having different names after copying.

Anyone else experiencing these issues or similar?

i have noticed these issues on FreeNAS-11 and freeNAS-11.1-U1

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard
Are you sharing the same dataset via both SMB and AFP? If this is the case, I would recommend that you only share via one protocol. Unfortunately, the protocols aren't inter-compatible, in the sense that they share an awareness of the data, and prevent you from writing or reading on top of each other. All modern OSes, including macOS, are compatible with SMB, so that is the protocol I would recommend using. The only time you might run into issues is with Time Machine, but there are more things to be aware of regarding quotas if you start using Time Machine with FreeNAS.

Grinas

Contributor
Thanks I did not know that,

The reason I had all the share types enabled was because they all have their pros and cons and I thought it was best that each run with their native protocols.

I guess I was wrong.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.