switch to SMB/Windows after AFP/MAC creation

TidalWave

Explorer
Hi guys,

So I made a mistake. I created an AFP share without realizing that I would be adding a Windows server later on.

So now I have a huge amount of data 60TB on an AFP share, via a dataset called NAS2.

My user works on a MAC and he writes to the NAS2 share via AFP. The dataset was created and I selected MAC permissions on the dataset level.

But I now need my Windows Server to access the same share, which it can't because windows only uses SMB.

So, I've read that having both AFP and SMB on the same dataset messes up permissions. I'm afraid that if I change the dataset from MAC to Windows, and turn on SMB and turn off AFP, that the MAC users will no longer be able to connect even if they use SMB.

The reason why I'm concerned is because I created an SMB share for this organization at the very beginning of this experience. And it mounted via SMB on his MAC but wouldn't allow him to write. I check the permissions (usergroups, MAC/Windows/ ownership, etc) and everything looked good the user and group was correctly set, the dataset level was windows, and the share was SMB. But nothing I changed allowed him to write to the share. So I had to create a new dataset, and since I assumed it would be all MAC I just used AFP on sharing side and MAC on the dataset.

But now I'm needing to use SMB and I'm afraid that the permissions will be all messed up if I change the MAC dataset (NAS2) into a Windows Dataset and turn on SMB for it, while during off AFP.

I get that there are two levels of permissions, the Dataset level (MAC vs Windows), and then the sharing leveling (AFP vs SMB).

We have other installs of freenas that SMB works fine across both Windows and MAC computers when I create the dataset with Windows permissions, but for some reason I had a little hiccup when I installed this particular freenas and so I was forced to recreate the dataset and the share as MAC/AFP. But, now I want to switch that same dataset back to windows/SMB, while still allowing the users on the MAC to read/wite and allow my windows server read/write.

I'm terribly afraid if I convert from AFP/MAC to SMB/Windows the dataset will get some corruption, or one of the permission holder hidden files will overwrite the other one, and then the dataset won't work for the MAC users, because I had a hiccup when I created the share the first time. So back then, I had to recreate the dataset and the share, however I won't have that opportunity to recreate a new dataset again since now the dataset has 60TB of data on it!

-Tidal

TidalWave

Explorer
Bumb, anyone know how to successfully move an AFP share into an SMB share?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hold off on turning the dataset into a "Windows" one. That will trigger a permissions reset, which may cause downtime (as users lose access to data).

TidalWave

Explorer
Well I've already shared NAS2 (dataset) via AFP and an apple MAC dataset permissions setting.

# file: /mnt/tank/NAS2
# owner: nas
# group: nas
owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
everyone@:r-x---a-R-c--s:-------:allow

When I create a fresh SMB share, it looks like this:

# file: /mnt/tank/NAS1
# owner: nas
# group: nas
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
everyone@:r-x---a-R-c---:fd-----:allow

I can see there are some differences between the lettering on the owner and group strings I don't understand them. the AFP share is 60TB the SMB share is empty.

Anyways, I want to turn NAS2 from MAC/APS to Windows/SMB while still allowing the nas user read/write access on the mac machines.

-Tidal