Confusion about dataset creation, changing permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASr710

Explorer
So I am a little confused about about the changing permissions in a dataset. The Permission Type options are Unix, Mac, Windows. If you access on multiple machines (Mac, windows, Ubuntu), can i just leave Permission Type as Unix or Mac, then create a SMB share to access the dataset?

NASr710

Explorer
I did actually last night, before you posted. You don't go into detail about that except that it is important. I guess I am looking to understand what it does on the backend to to the dataset. I assume you could not select Mac, then set up a SMB share to that dataset?

I am currently using an Mac dataset and AFP share for my Macs and Ubuntu clients. It is working. The trouble i came across last night is when i created the SMB share from a separate windows Dataset, When i go to the Mac and to networking, it no longer gives me option for the AFP share, and I can only see the SMB share. (I forgot to check with Ubuntu machine).

I currently have two users. They are members of the 'family' group. I set it to owner: Nobody and group: Family.

I had was previously trying to set up and NFS share, but it was not working. Could not see the NFS share on either Mac or ubuntu clients. I was leaning toward NFS and AFP since they seem to be faster and more efficient use of processor from what I read. I have a few windows machines but don't think I will need to access the NAS with them.

BTW, I am using this NAS mostly for personal use, at home. Only my wife and I would be accessing it. We are storing document, but I hope to organize my photos and finally have a place to experiment more with video.

m0nkey_

MVP
A 'Windows' dataset enables nfs4acl's. It's similar to NTFS ACLs and allows permissions to be configured from Windows Explorer. UNIX or Apple type dataset use traditional POSIX permissions and cannot be fully managed remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.