Need some feedback on dataset and share permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalli

Cadet
Hello,

I would like to state that I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time and this is my first time posting here (yay!). I think this says a lot on how helpful this community is and how easy it is to find what you need in these forums. I have scoured the forums for days now and it was very educating for me, but I did find some misleading information which made me confused on the following considerations, hence this post.

I am tech savvy and I have been using FreeNAS for a couple of years now and I've learned to grasp the ZFS concepts, such as datasets 'on the job'. I believe I am not an expert in this, but I do have a general understanding to revisit some decisions I took in the past and cater for them in a better way to suit the current setup I have. More info below:

My current Freenas setup:
version: FreeNAS-11.0-U2
6 HDDs of 4Tb
Running on a i3-4330 CPU with 16 Gb

current storage:
1 pool of disks with the main dataset (zpool) broken down in different 'sub' datasets:
Media (My DVD collection initially, but became the go to dataset to add everything involving shares such as Backups, Downloads, Photo collection and Home videos)
jails (the default jails dataset)

jails:
Plex Media Server which is using the Media dataset as storage
Other custom jails that equally use the Media dataset as storage to manage backups, access my pictures and the like

Media dataset being shared thru SMB to access it with Windows clients only (this is a problem because I have multiple Mac devices on the network now too, which the current SMB setup isn't configured for)

User management - No AD involved

The setup i have in mind:
under zpool (owner: root group: wheel, Permission Type: Unix - 775):
Media (owner: media group: media, Permission Type: Windows) - DVD collection only
Downloads (owner: '?' group: '?', Permission Type: 'Probably Windows?') - Should become the goto folder for Downloads in general, ideally served up as a share accessible across the Windows/Mac clients
Backup (owner: '?' group: '?', Permission Type: 'Not sure...')- taking out the contents from Media/Backups. The idea is to store backups from Windows/Mac devices with bacula and restore them through it if need be. I'm leaning towards putting the Permission Type as Unix as it should remain under the care of the bacula only, not sure if some scenarios would require to access it through a share on the clients.
Files (owner: '?' group: '?', Permission Type: Windows) - adding subfolders Pictures and Home videos, served up as a share across multiple windows/mac devices

As you can see the compartimentalisation of the data is far from ideal of the actual setup, but I think the underlying issue I have is I have no idea
how to properly plan the permissions for such a move. I've learned a great deal from the forum threads i searched through, but I
need to nail down the permissions from datasets level all the way to file-level while leveraging the FreeNAS best practices.

The questions I have in mind are the following:
-Is it OK to have datasets starting with a capital letter? I have done so when i started at first as it made sense to me coming from a Windows background, would you reckon it giving it issues on particular cases where there is a need for a rename?
-Am I right to assume that using one dataset used as a share and as a storage for multiple jails is a bad practice in terms of performance? I have nothing to quantify this, just imagining that the dataset being accessed concurrently could be a bottleneck.
-Could someone make it clear to me how to use the Permission Type correctly? When should i decide to switch it to windows and when to mac? I am aware that selecting Windows would enable ACLs and Unix is giving you the POSIX style permission system. What I'm looking for is an to the point explanation that would raise my awareness on how to make these considerations more effectively in the future.
-Shares: Can I use SMB to share to Windows/mac without AD? I've read up on a guide that tells me to make a user equivalent in FreeNAS for each windows user. Must I do the same for Mac users?

Thanks in advance for your help.

m0nkey_

MVP

Kalli

Cadet
Hi m0nkey_,

Thanks a lot for your straightforward video tutorial. I've seen both videos and I think I start to finally understand how I should fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle. I like the idea on how you tackled the owner user and group on the dataset by using nobody as the owner. I will apply the same concept to plan my user permissions on the to-be datasets and shares. A couple of questions remain open though:
-Is this also applicable for mac? Does Mac also support ACLs and editing those permissions via the Mac clients? Not a real Mac user here myself.

m0nkey_

MVP
-Is this also applicable for mac? Does Mac also support ACLs and editing those permissions via the Mac clients? Not a real Mac user here myself.
Unfortunately not. You would need to use setfacl on FreeNAS to set permissions this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.