Is there a need to separate mac data share (AFP) from windows data share (CIFS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c4rp3d13m

Dabbler
Besides the hidden files mac/win oses are creating, is there really a need to separate the shared dataset or vdev? Is there a need to separate mac data share (AFP) from windows data share (CIFS)?

bollar

Patron
IMO, no need to keep them separate, though you could force the Mac users through SMB/CIFS if you wanted.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
My wife is on a Mac and I use PC. We both use the same datasets from our different machines and do not have a problem. She's on AFP and I am using CIFS. Make sure to click use windows file names when creating the AFP shares.

louisk

Patron
Other than possible data corruption, you shouldn't see any serious issues. Since afp and smb are done from different processes, there is no sanity checking on who uses what files when. If you can ensure you will never use the same files at the same time, it will work. If not, good luck.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Other than possible data corruption, you shouldn't see any serious issues. Since afp and smb are done from different processes, there is no sanity checking on who uses what files when. If you can ensure you will never use the same files at the same time, it will work. If not, good luck.

File locking is a system service, not something implemented by individual processes. That's the only practical way for locking to work in a multiprocess environment. As long as all protocols support file locking, I'd expect it to work.

We had some problems with file locking and Apples via NFS, IIRC. So your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.