12.0-U1.1 Sudden disconnection from SMB and AFP shares during copy operation

BKay

Cadet
Hi all,

this is my first post here on the forum. I have only recently started using TrueNAS.

I am using an HP N54L running TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1. My problem is connecting to the NAS after a sudden disconnect during copy operation from my Mac via AFP share to the NAS. The copy operation was aborted without notice and error message.

What I have done or tried so far:
  • I can still connect to the NAS via WebUI and SHH from my Mac and Windows machines.
  • Pool is still online without known data errors.
  • Datasets are still mounted under /mnt/"name of pool"/"names of datasets".
  • I restarted the NAS.
  • Disabled and restarted the SMB and AFP services.
  • Recreated the SMB and AFP shares. (SMB share with "Share Type: SMB" and AFP with "Share Type: Generic" option)
  • Created new datasets with and without ACL. (SMB with ACL manager --> Restricted to owner and group "testsmb" --> owner@ and group@ with "Permissions: Full Control"
  • Created new users per dataset/share type "testafp" and "testsmb".

TrueNAS shell - current dataset permissions:

Code:
root@truenas[/mnt]# ls -al
total 6
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  128 Jan 26 10:13 .
drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel   27 Jan 26 10:13 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    5 Jan 20 11:01 md_size
drwxrwx---   5 root  wheel    5 Jan 26 13:09 tank1

root@truenas[/mnt/tank1]# ls -al
total 10
drwxrwx---   5 root     wheel      5 Jan 26 13:09 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     wheel    128 Jan 26 10:13 ..
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     wheel     11 Jan 24 14:18 ds1
drwxr-xr-x   2 testafp  testafp    2 Jan 26 13:09 testafp
drwxrwx---+  2 testsmb  testsmb    2 Jan 26 13:09 testsmb

macOS:

Finder --> Connect to server --> afp://192.x.x.x/testafp --> login as user testafp
There was a problem connecting to the server “192.x.x.x”. The share does not exist on the server. Please check the share name, and then try again.

Windows 10:

Windows Explorer --> Map network drive --> \\192.x.x.x\testsmb --> login as user testsmb
Windows cannot access \\192.x.x.x\testsmb. You do not have permissions to access \\192.x.x.x\testsmb. Contact your network administrator to request access.

As a small side note:

After I built the NAS system (TrueNAS-12-U1), I used SMB-Shares for the Mac and Windows machines. During copy operations on my Mac (macOS Sierra 10.12.6) to and from the NAS, I experienced disconnections with error messages (Error -36). After some forum research, I switched to AFP shares for the Mac due to problems in macOS with SMB shares. My windows machines worked fine with the SMB shares.

As a workaround I have set up dedicated datasets using the "Share Type: Generic" option. I have also created a new user with the "Microsoft Account" option disabled. Dataset permissions were set without the ACL manager. Owner and group corresponded to the newly created user / group. AFP Shares were created with default basic options. Worked perfectly fine until now.