CIFS anon guest permission errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmofo

Explorer
Just set up a new 8x 2tb raidZ2 running the latest 8.0.3 on a USB flash drive, 16gb ram, i3. Went in and set up the volume correctly with 4k sectors etc. This is my 3rd freeNAS build, and is replacing a freeNAS 7 box.

I have built a very similar box about 6 months ago and set it up with anon access and a CIFS share using the recommended guest account settings in the documentation. The previous box works great. The only real difference is that it uses a 10k raptor as the os drive instead of USB. The new box is slow (may be I need to enable gigBit ethernet settings?) but most importantly is having crazy issues in regards to permissions and copying files correctly.

I am using a Mac Mini, all gigibit ethernet connected via a pfSense router and CIFS share browsing the "network". I can see and access the freeNAS server just fine and connect without authentication (eg guest)

I copy a small picture file to the server (guest owner, guest group, default guest anon access, default home location is the /mnt/data etc etc) and after I can delete it or copy it just fine. If I copy a folder full of files I start to run into trouble. I can delete some individual files but not the folder itself. Also, when transferring larger sets of files the transfer will sometimes error out saying I dont have permission.

I have tested from other computers, I have created datasets, rebuilt the CIFS permissions and guest accounts, rebooted the server, and mounted the CIFS shares directly to the volume as well. I want to use CIFS for a mixed mac/windows/boxee/xbmc network environment.

I also tried to use FTP to transfer the files more robustly but that again caused all sorts of permission errors as the ftp user and the guest user were different.

Does anyone know, 1) why I am having permission errors when setting up the "textbook" guest anon access? and/or 2) how to setup mac/windows anon guest access + ftp access without causing issues?

pcmofo

Explorer
Tried several times to get this to work as well as AFP shares... Ended up just creating a generic user and an AFP share. This works fine, but requires new users to enter in a username password the first time. Still need to test out FTP and xbmc access and functions but at least it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.