Installing Ubiquiti UniFi Controller in a jail

Installing Ubiquiti UniFi Controller in a jail

danb35

Hall of Famer

Visseroth

Guru
.40 is of version 5.6, .29 is of 5.9, seems the .29 is the latest according to what I'm seeing...

Unifi.JPG

Ixian

Patron
Yep, you all are right, my mistake. And to think for the past month, after I migrated from a docker to a Freenas jail w/Unifi I've been thinking I've been behind a few versions when actually I've been ahead.

In a way no one loses here :)

Visseroth

Guru
Yea, I almost did the same thing on a actual Unifi controller and was like, "Why isn't this updating to .40" then looked closer and realized I wasn't paying close enough attention, DOH! LOL
None the less, thanks all! and I appreciate you putting up with my ignorance!

Tremek

Cadet
For what it's worth I have been running the UniFi controller in a jail for nearly a month and no problems, it works well.

ThreeDee

Guru
For what it's worth I have been running the UniFi controller in a jail for nearly a month and no problems, it works well.
same here .. ran into my first kinda of hassle though with my UniFi AP's not upgrading through the controller software and had to use WinSCP and Putty to SSH into each of them and manually update their firmware. Last couple updates upgraded just fine so I don't know what the deal was/is on this latest firmware upgrade.

ChrisChros

Patron
Hi guys,
has anybody of you tried to update the controller to 5.10.12?
When I follow the instruction on the first page I am not able to run the update. I can run the instruction till
Code:
service unifi stop
. When I do the clean reinstall I get the following error:
Code:
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # make reinstall clean
===>  Installing for unifi5-5.9.29_1
===>   Registering installation for unifi5-5.9.29_1
*** Error code 70

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 #

Can anybody help me to fix this issue?

Regards Chris

ChrisChros

Patron
ahh ok...that make sence. sorry for that question.

Ixian

Patron
Going by past history the Unifi port is usually updated within a few days, particularly for large updates to the stable branch, like this version of Unifi.

Dayve

Dabbler
Will be nice to see the Unifi update get added to the port. I just installed it in jail on my freeNAS. I was using a Rasberrypi and it was up to date and all my backups are 5.10.17

I'm pretty much stuck until the ports get updated.

gt2416

Patron
Considering unifi has released a ton of updates after .12 maybe the portmasters are waiting for it to finally be stable lol. They made a lot of changes with .12 and turns out there were a lot of problems.

ChrisChros

Patron
Hi guys,
I tried to update my controller to 5.10.19 but it look like it wont work.
I followed the old instruktion with portsnap and so on and the new controller is also found but it stops with an error code during installation.
Code:
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # make reinstall clean
===>   unifi5-5.10.19 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
=> unifi_sysvinit_all.deb doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/unifi5-5.10.19.
=> Attempting to fetch http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/5.10.19/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb
unifi_sysvinit_all.deb                        100% of   77 MB 5758 kBps 00m14s
===> Fetching all distfiles required by unifi5-5.10.19 for building
===>  Extracting for unifi5-5.10.19
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for unifi5-5.10.19/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb.
===>  Patching for unifi5-5.10.19
(cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/unifi5-5.10.19/usr/lib/unifi/lib && /bin/ln-f -s /usr/local/share/java/classes/snappy-java.jar snappy-java-*.jar)
/bin/rm -f -r /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/unifi5-5.10.19/usr/lib/unifi/lib/native
===>  Configuring for unifi5-5.10.19
===>  Staging for unifi5-5.10.19
===>   unifi5-5.10.19 depends on package: mongodb36>0 - found
===>   unifi5-5.10.19 depends on package: snappyjava>0 - found
===>   unifi5-5.10.19 depends on file: /usr/local/openjdk8/bin/java - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===> Creating groups.
===> Creating users
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi
(cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/unifi5-5.10.19/usr/lib/unifi && /bin/sh -c '(/usr/bin/find -Ed $1 $3 | /usr/bin/cpio -dumpl $2 >/dev/null 2>&1) &&  /usr/bin/find -Ed $1 $3 \(   -type d -exec /bin/sh -c '\''cd '\''$2'\'' && chmod 755 "$@"'\'' . {} +  -o -type f -exec /bin/sh -c '\''cd '\''$2'\'' && chmod 0644 "$@"'\'' . {} + \)' COPYTREE_SHARE \* /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi/)
/bin/ln -sf /usr/local/bin/mongod /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage/usr/local/share/java/unifi/bin/mongod
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/data
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/logs
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/run
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5/work/stage//usr/local/share/java/unifi/work
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
===> Staging rc.d startup script(s)
===>  Installing for unifi5-5.10.19
===>   Registering installation for unifi5-5.10.19
*** Error code 70

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 # service unifi start
Starting unifi.
root@unifi:/usr/ports/net-mgmt/unifi5 #

Can anybody help me to get it run.
Regards Chris

UPDATE:
Gote it back working with the following command:
Code:
make deinstall reinstall all clean    

It can be so simple.

Last edited:

SW77

Dabbler
I installed my controller with
Code:
pkg update
pkg install unifi5
sysrc unifi_enable=YES
service unifi start

I see that ports are now updated to 5.10.19 but the package is still on 5.9.29. When I try to update with
Code:
pkg upgrade
it stays on 5.9.29.
Am I missing something or are packages not updated at the same time as ports?

Thanks

bernieke

Cadet
By default the jails now follow the quarterly release branch. You could change it to the latest branch, or wait until April for the update to reach the quarterly branch.

SW77

Dabbler
By default the jails now follow the quarterly release branch. You could change it to the latest branch, or wait until April for the update to reach the quarterly branch.
Already changed that to fetch the latest.

gt2416

Patron
Ports != pkg
Usually pkg are updated few days after ports. The new version is available on pkg right now, so just
pkg upgrade

ChrisChros

Patron
Hi, is there a possibility to edit the config.gateway.json file within the jail?
Background, I want to disable NAT on the Unifi USG, therefore I have to modify this file.

UnifiUpdate

Cadet
Noob question here, since I don't fully understand ports vs pkg.

I've installed the Unifi via `pkg install unifi5`.
I've also been following https://www.freshports.org/net-mgmt/unifi5 for new updates and there are two newer versions.

I've tried `pkg update` but I don't get an update.
`pkg info unifi5` reports the latest version as `5.10.25` while it should be `5.11.46`.

What am I missing?
Is there a way to get the latest version (`5.11.46`) without building from source?