Installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos D

Dabbler
So I'm trying to install freenas in my build but I just realized something..

Here's the build
ASRock C2550D4I
Fractal Node 304
8gb ecc
2 x 6tb wd red

the C2550D4I has 2 usb2 at the back and extra usb2 connectors for the front panel.
The node 304 has 2 usb3 ports in the front panel, since the motherboard doesn't have usb3 compatibility, I can only use the 2 usb2 ports at the back on the motherboard

When installing freenas you need 2 usb sticks one that has installation files and the other one where you will install the OS. The problem is that I can't connect a keyboard to the motherboard to install the OS if I have 2 usb sticks using the 2 only usb2 connectors available. So my initial thought was to use a usb hub but it's not working. I'm getting the following error on screen after selecting the install freenas option.

"Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b movq"

So I guess that I have to order a usb3 female to usb2 male connector? Something like this -> https://www.amazon.ca/TRADE-Female-Motherboard-Adapter-Converter/dp/B06XSD3R8C/

Do I have other options? I don't mind getting the usb3 to usb2 connector to be able to use the ports on the front of the case but if there's a way to install the os without having to wait until I get the connector it would be nice..

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
the motherboard only has 2 usb ports

And it has IPMI, which can be used to administrate the system over the network. There is no need to attach keyboard and monitor for most if not all things you want to perform (in case you didn't realize that).

Evertb1

Guru
And it has IPMI, which can be used to administrate the system over the network. There is no need to attach keyboard and monitor for most if not all things you want to perform (in case you didn't realize that).
And if that does not ring a bell with you: You should be able to access IMPI trough your network from a client PC and mount a boot image. So that should free up an USB port.

Carlos D

Dabbler
And if that does not ring a bell with you: You should be able to access IMPI trough your network from a client PC and mount a boot image. So that should free up an USB port.
Yea, I was able to setup IPMI but now I'm getting the following error when trying to install freenas.

Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b: movq $0,kdb_why

Here is a full screenshot of the error

Attachments

• 2017-09-18 23_39_35-JViewer[192.168.1.9] - 0 fps.jpg
    2017-09-18 23_39_35-JViewer[192.168.1.9] - 0 fps.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 358

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yea, I was able to setup IPMI but now I'm getting the following error when trying to install freenas.

Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b: movq $0,kdb_why

Here is a full screenshot of the error
Is this the same error that you were getting when trying to boot from the USB boot media using the USB hub?
Are you still using that USB media or did you remotely mount the ISO file for the installer through IPMI?

Carlos D

Dabbler
Is this the same error that you were getting when trying to boot from the USB boot media using the USB hub?
Are you still using that USB media or did you remotely mount the ISO file for the installer through IPMI?
No, not using the usb hub anymore, I figured out how to use IPMI so just using 2 usbs directly connected on the motherboard.
- installation files
- fat32 formatted and ready to receive the os installation

danb35

Hall of Famer
I figured out how to use IPMI so just using 2 usbs directly connected on the motherboard.
If you figured out how to use IMPI even better, you'd realize you didn't need the USB with the installer, because you could mount the ISO via IPMI as well (after verifying its checksum to make sure it isn't damaged in some way). And that might be a good thing to try--I haven't seen that specific error before, but it could indicate a corrupted installer image.

Carlos D

Dabbler
If you figured out how to use IMPI even better, you'd realize you didn't need the USB with the installer, because you could mount the ISO via IPMI as well (after verifying its checksum to make sure it isn't damaged in some way). And that might be a good thing to try--I haven't seen that specific error before, but it could indicate a corrupted installer image.
It's my first build so trying to learn as much as possible, is there a tutorial somewhere to mount the ISO via IPMI?

danb35

Hall of Famer
is there a tutorial somewhere to mount the ISO via IPMI?
Your ASRock system might be a little different than the SuperMicro documented here, but it's a start.

Redcoat

MVP
@Carlos D, depending on your Java version you may have issues using IPMI as suggested - see this thread for information and workaround.

Evertb1

Guru
Your ASRock system might be a little different than the SuperMicro documented here, but it's a start.
About 18 months ago I have installed the system for a friend om my with a comparable Asrock motherboard. If I recall correctly it works a bit different. Especially the terms used differ a bit from SuperMicro. I don't have the Asrock IPMI manual at hand but it was not hard to figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.