Where is escape to loader prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

reqlez

Explorer
Hi.

My board does not have enough USB2 ports for me to use mirror USB sticks to boot and still have keyboard and UPS in there.

SO i was thinking, why not just install on USB3 ? People have been saying USB3 on intel chipset was not bad! Okay ... no problem!

On install disk, i go to shell and i type kldload xhci so that the installer can see my USB3 drive, no problem it loads fine and i install on USB3 drives.

Now ... i need to add a tunable to load xhci every boot ... BUT ... the "escape to loader prompt" is not available so that i can temporarily load the driver during next boot ... Where did it go ??? Before you suggest, my board is super micro and does not have option to make USB3 ports into USB2 in bios.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Do you not have ipmi on that board?
If you have ipmi, there is zero need for a keyboard.

reqlez

Explorer
I do ... but i can't use the UPS cable still. SO anyway i plugged into USB2, added xhci_load as a tunable with a value of YES and it works in USB3 ports now. I was just wondering where did that loader prompt screen go, used to be there.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Don't know. I use a usb3 port on my supermicro board without any voodoo

D

dlavigne

Loader is a FreeBSD bootloader thing and FN 9.3 is using GRUB instead of the FreeBSD bootloader (so that's where that went).

You can however use the GRUB editor (the one where you press e to enter the editor) to temporarily load a driver for one boot. Use the same syntax as the other loaders in the file that the editor opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.