Error 19 when installing 9.3 STABLE from USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nico3

Dabbler
Hello Guys,

I'm trying to install FreeNAS on my first build and I get the error 19 on installation.

The hardware is:
Supermicro X11SSM-F
Intel Xenon E3 1220 v6
Crucial 16Gb DDR4 2133MHz ECC
4x3Tb WD RED HD
Seasonic G450 450W PU

I've tried installing from USB3 on USB 3 port, USB3 on USB2 port, USB 2 on USB 3 port and USB2 on USB2 port but always get the same error.
I've checked the BIOS and disabled the XHCI but still error 19.

I've burned the iso using mac terminal with the dd command on both drives, USB 2 and USB 3.

Also as this is my first build I'm not sure what version I should install, I couldn't find freenas 10 and 9.3 was the latest stable version I found. Should I install FreeNas 11?

Thanks
Nico

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Also as this is my first build I'm not sure what version I should install, I couldn't find freenas 10 and 9.3 was the latest stable version I found. Should I install FreeNas 11?

9.3? USB3- and Skylake- / Kaby Lake-wise this version is outdated. FreeNAS 11 was released yesterday and the regular download page points you to that version:

http://www.freenas.org/download-freenas-release/

If the freshly released FreeNAS 11 (for some reasons) doesn't work for you, the next option would be FreeNAS-9.10.2-U5

http://download.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/latest/x64/

nico3

Dabbler
Just tried with FreeNAS 11 and still the same error 19.
Any other idea on what could be the problem?

S

sef

Where does is say error 19? (Which is ENODEV, so I'd guess... during boot?) Are you booting via (U)EFI or BIOS?

nico3

Dabbler
Ok so I've just updated the BIOS to 2.0a and I still have the same issue. I've attached a pic of the screen.

Here my exact steps:
-Insert USB with FreeNAS 11 iso
-Turn on server
-Wait for supermicro logo on white background
-press f11 to boot from BIOS boot list
-select "freeNas 11 installer"
-Error 19

Am I doing something wrong? as I said this is my first FreeNAS install so it could be something really stupid...

Attachments

• IMG_6820.JPG
    IMG_6820.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 262
S

sef

I think I might try a different brand of thumb drive. What you're seeing is that the kernel was loaded, and booted, but then when it went to go mount the root device, it couldn't find it. If the thumb drive is not supported by FreeBSD (and there are some that aren't), that might result in that behaviour.

You did not say what kind of thumb drive it was.

NZ_JJ

Dabbler
Also, remember that you need 2 usb sticks.
1 to boot the installer on and the other, that will become your boot device.

nico3

Dabbler
Ok guys, I've installed freenas 11!
I've tryed with a Samsung 3.0 32 gb USB and a Kingstone 2.0 16gb USB, with dd command from mac and I had the error, then I've used a different USB (a Sandisk I found laying around) and I've use "rufus" from windows 10 to write the iso. Not sure what solved the problem but I was able to install Freenas 11.

Now I have another problem, I'm at the 12 points menu and I get the IP adress (i had to set this manually at 10.0.0.33) but I cannot access the web GUI from that IP. I get a "took to long to respond." If I check from the router I can see the device as 10.0.0.32 but when I use that IP I get the supermicro login, not the freenas.
I've checked here: https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_quick.html but it doesn't help much.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help!!

nico3

Dabbler
All Good, I found a solution after I played a bit with the network setup.

Thanks again guys!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ok guys, I've installed freenas 11!
I've tryed with a Samsung 3.0 32 gb USB and a Kingstone 2.0 16gb USB, with dd command from mac and I had the error, then I've used a different USB (a Sandisk I found laying around) and I've use "rufus" from windows 10 to write the iso. Not sure what solved the problem but I was able to install Freenas 11.

Now I have another problem, I'm at the 12 points menu and I get the IP adress (i had to set this manually at 10.0.0.33) but I cannot access the web GUI from that IP. I get a "took to long to respond." If I check from the router I can see the device as 10.0.0.32 but when I use that IP I get the supermicro login, not the freenas.
I've checked here: https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_quick.html but it doesn't help much.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for your help!!
You should not have to set an IP it should get one with DHCP. What port did you plug your Ethernet cable into? One is for management of ipmi and the other 2 are for your server.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.