Error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigB

Explorer
I just built a ASRock E3c226D2I with 16GB of ecc ram and 4x WD 4TB. I used Imagewriter to burn the 9.3 ISO to a USB Adata 16GB USB 3.0 and put another identical USB into the MB slot. After booting up I eventually get error 19. I try to boot the 9.3 USB on my windows computer to install onto the other 16 GB USB but got the same error. I decided to try my Sandisk USB 2.0 2GB stick which had 9.2.1.9 on it and the ASRock boots up fine. Is this a problem with Adata USB sticks or something wrong with 9.3?

BigB

Explorer
When I tried to create 9.3 on my windows desktop computer I had both USB sticks in USB 2.0 slots and got the same error. One was on a USB port on a card reader. Will try on 2 native USBs 2.0 ports.

BigB

Explorer
Tried again and was able run the installer for 9.3 on a sandisk cruzer 2 GB USB 2.0. When trying to write to the ADATA 16 GB USB 3.0 stick I got this error message.
gpart: arg- 'da0':invalid argument
expr: illegal option --1
expr: usage: expr [-e] expression
The FreeNAS installation on da0 has failed

Can it not be installed to a USB 3.0 stick or not just the one I have? Will have to buy another should it be a USB 2.0 16GB stick?

S

sef

The gpart message is fine; the expr error is not expected, and I don't know what would be causing it.

I will point out I've had problems with Adata thumb drives, in that FreeBSD doesn't always recognize them and gets incorrect sizes. I don't know if that is what's going on here.

BigB

Explorer
Just ordered a Sandisk USB 2.0 16 GB stick. Will let you know how it goes after it arrives.

Ahjohng

Dabbler
I also have an ASRock E3C226D2I board, and I have to go through 2 RMAs to get the hardware working, but that is just the tip of the iceberg of problems awaiting me. The FreeNAS 9.3 I have downloaded a couple months ago showed the same error 19 during boot. OK, I downloaded the most recent build of version 9.3, and to my delight, the whole thing had progressed further but showing the following road block.

http://107.185.75.46/FreeNAS9p3.jpg

Basically, I imaged a USB 7.6GB stick with the most recent FreeNAS 9.3 build, but it looks like I need two USB sticks --- one to boot from and one to load the actual program in. Is this the case? I have surely not had found any literature on this. If so, so be it. I will provide a bootable USB stick with less than 2GB storage and an installation USB stick with about 8GB of storage. However, I like to understand what is going on. So, please advise, anyone.

S

sef

Yes, you need to thumb drives. It is mentioned in the documentation that you cannot install on the boot media.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I also have an ASRock E3C226D2I board, and I have to go through 2 RMAs to get the hardware working, but that is just the tip of the iceberg of problems awaiting me. The FreeNAS 9.3 I have downloaded a couple months ago showed the same error 19 during boot. OK, I downloaded the most recent build of version 9.3, and to my delight, the whole thing had progressed further but showing the following road block.

http://107.185.75.46/FreeNAS9p3.jpg

Basically, I imaged a USB 7.6GB stick with the most recent FreeNAS 9.3 build, but it looks like I need two USB sticks --- one to boot from and one to load the actual program in. Is this the case? I have surely not had found any literature on this. If so, so be it. I will provide a bootable USB stick with less than 2GB storage and an installation USB stick with about 8GB of storage. However, I like to understand what is going on. So, please advise, anyone.
If you haven't seen any literature on this you must not be using the manual like you should be. Here is the section about installing FreeNAS and specifically the section that has the note about needing 2 USB sticks, http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html#preparing-the-media

Ahjohng

Dabbler
So, the bootable device cannot be recycled. Thanks to all for pointing this out to me.

I find this IPMI baffling and confusing. The ASRock E3C226D2I board comes with 2 GLAN and this IPMI LAN ports, but there are only 2 IP addresses associated with these 3 LAN ports. Pardon my ignorance. Do I connect all three to my router? How do utilize this IPMI for booting?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
So, the bootable device cannot be recycled. Thanks to all for pointing this out to me.

I find this IPMI baffling and confusing. The ASRock E3C226D2I board comes with 2 GLAN and this IPMI LAN ports, but there are only 2 IP addresses associated with these 3 LAN ports. Pardon my ignorance. Do I connect all three to my router? How do utilize this IPMI for booting?
You shouldn't have all 3 NICs plugged in. Just one LAN and the ipmi. You use the web interface to interact with the ipmi, and you can mount ISO files directly from ipmi and boot to them

BigB

Explorer
Pirateghost,
Yes my motherboard does have ipmi and I recently connect an ethernet cable to it into my switch. Now I have one cable to one Intel NIC and another cable to the IPMI. I can login to the IPMI to see the Asrock interface from a remote computer but don't see an option to mount an ISO file. Do you have to do it from the BIOS? If so how to you get to it remotely. I'm sure this is basic stuff but I've never played with a server before.
When my USB 2.0 16 GB stick comes can I just place it into the USB A port on the MB (replacing the 2GB 9.2.1.9 freenas install) and install freenas 9.3 from the ISO using IPMI,? Then upload my config file to get back to my current setup?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Pirateghost,
Yes my motherboard does have ipmi and I recently connect an ethernet cable to it into my switch. Now I have one cable to one Intel NIC and another cable to the IPMI. I can login to the IPMI to see the Asrock interface from a remote computer but don't see an option to mount an ISO file. Do you have to do it from the BIOS? If so how to you get to it remotely. I'm sure this is basic stuff but I've never played with a server before.
When my USB 2.0 16 GB stick comes can I just place it into the USB A port on the MB (replacing the 2GB 9.2.1.9 freenas install) and install freenas 9.3 from the ISO using IPMI,? Then upload my config file to get back to my current setup?
I'm not familiar with the asrock interface, but you have complete console access to your server. In the console session, you should have an option in the window's menu for attaching a disk, which can be an ISO.

BigB

Explorer
remote control/console redirection runs java. You then have to go into the java control panel and add that web address to the security list so it will work. In the console click menu and media/virtual media. I will try to this when the new stick comes. Thanks

Ahjohng

Dabbler
You shouldn't have all 3 NICs plugged in. Just one LAN and the ipmi. You use the web interface to interact with the ipmi, and you can mount ISO files directly from ipmi and boot to them

That certainly would make things easier.

Since there is no MAC associated with the IPMI NIC, how is it possible the switch or the router is able to route packets into or from this port?

Ahjohng

Dabbler
remote control/console redirection runs java. You then have to go into the java control panel and add that web address to the security list so it will work. In the console click menu and media/virtual media. I will try to this when the new stick comes. Thanks

Since we both have the same motherboard, is it possible to boot up into the BIOS from IPMI?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That certainly would make things easier.

Since there is no MAC associated with the IPMI NIC, how is it possible the switch or the router is able to route packets into or from this port?
Ipmi has a mac

Status
Not open for further replies.