9.3 Fail! Broke my server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visseroth

Guru
I just posted this here..... https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/mounting-failed-with-error-19.13620/page-7
But here is my own post.....

Definitely not solved for me. I just found this post because I'm having the exact same error.
SuperMicro X7DBN
16GB of RAM
12X2TB Seagates
SAT2-MV8 8 port SAS card

I don't have USB3, I wasn't using a USB 3 flash in a USB 2 port. I was using a Compact Flash in a IDE port. After updating from 9.2 to 9.3 I had a black screen with a blinking cursor so I tried to roll it back to 9.2 with a install/upgrade disc via a USB 2 CD ROM.
Error 19
I tried pulling all but 4 GB of RAM
Error 19
Ran a wipe on the CF card
Error 19
Tried installing FreeNAS 9.3
Black screen with blinking cursor
After this I was no longer able to access my CF card. Seems it died after multiple attempts to reinstall that are not listed here.
I tried pulling the SAT2-MV8 card, clearing the CMOS settings and installing to a SATA laptop hard drive via SATA port 0 on the MB
Error 19
I'm at a loss here, my server has been working fine for YEARS and now all of a sudden I'm unable to boot anymore and everything seems to point to something that is not available on my server?
Any ideas, suggestions? Anything?
I've even pulled all my drives to be sure that they aren't causing any errors

Edit: I just tried 9.1 and same thing, error 19

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It is possible that upgrading caused a failure of the CF card. Flash does have a limited life and by default FreeNAS is occasionally writing to it. So you had a situation where the old flash was maybe getting to a questionable level of wear and then you stressed the hell out of it by updating the whole thing.

Try reinstalling your FreeNAS 9.2 to the SATA. If that works, try again with 9.3 and if it fails again, file a bug report on the 9.3 failure. If the 9.2 doesn't work, please carefully go and recheck everything because sometimes people make mistakes when frazzled (don't be offended, it's happened to us all). Just take it a step at a time.

Visseroth

Guru
Agreed, I'm pretty sure I finished off the CF card.
9.3 gives me a black screen with a cursor no matter what I do and now 9.2 gives me a error 19, ALL the time. I just wrote a image to a 300GB laptop sata drive and I'm still getting the error. I even went as far as completely disabling USB all together because I have a PS2 keyboard
Downloading 9.3 image and trying that now.

Visseroth

Guru
oops, just noticed, no 9.3 image and I believe I failed to mention that 9.3 reboots during install, no warning, no progress shown on the screen and that is to the SATA drive

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you haven't already, disconnect all your 2TB drives so you don't inadvertently damage your pool by accidentally installing onto the wrong drive. You're going to need to determine what's actually gone awry here. I don't have any immediate ideas, but you can keep stepping out a level. If need be, try a FreeBSD 9.3 live CD and see if that fails to boot.

Visseroth

Guru
I have indeed already done that just for that exact reason but haven't thought about trying a live CD. I will do that right now, Thank you for your suggestions. Any further input is GREATLY appreciated. I have thus far had no success booting.

Visseroth

Guru
As a side note and as I recall, when installing with the USB ports disabled I was still getting USB errors.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Visseroth

Guru
I just installed PCBSD (no gui) and it ran and installed fine. Rebooted and allowed the system to boot PCBSD from the installed drive and it still gave the USB errors but started without a hitch.
Anyone else have any suggestions? My system appears to be fine.

Edit: I do believe that the install of 9.3 is actually failing to install. Either erroring and forcing a system reboot or causing the system to reboot. I just tried 9.3-Stable-201412240734, 9.3-Nightlies-201412260401 and both rebooted during the install, during the point where the console states.....

ada0
ada0p1 added
ada0p2 added
active set on ada0

During this time you see hard drive and CD ROM activity and then suddenly it reboots without warning.

I just tried 10.0.0-Alpha-7f88d12-x64. Only difference was the console displayed the release version for a few moments then rebooted without warning.

I also just tried 8.3.2-Release-x86 and received a error 19 as well
Output was as follows......

Root mount waiting for: usbus3
ugen3.3: <Unknown> at usbus3 (disconnected)
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a [ro]...
Mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a ...
Mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1s failed with error 19.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Can you try writing a FreeNAS image to your media on a different machine?

Visseroth

Guru
Mounted the hard drive and ISO to a virtual machine and installed the image successfully.
Machine is now booting. Now I need to re-import my old volume so I can restore my old configuration.
Something is DEFINATELY wrong with the installers. I even tried pulling my IPMI card and disconnecting the HD back-plane without success.
I just turned and looked and I have the console up and running.
I seriously hope this is fixed soon.

Visseroth

Guru
Success. Mounting the drive to another machine and installing to the drive using another machine worked. I have successfully brought the server back up.
Thank you jgreco! Your assistance was very helpful. It as always helpful getting input!

Visseroth

Guru
Agreed, and I understand what they are going through building this stuff so I am patient and I understand something like this could be over looked if such an error didn't show up on their testing system but I believe with all the posts on this forum as of 9.3 that the problem has come to light.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, the whole system moved from a flash-image based system to a ZFS based thing, so there could be cases that aren't properly handled. Feel free to submit a detailed bug report...

Visseroth

Guru
Will do. I'm now running on a sata hard drive and was trying to install to one and you would think that would work without a hitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.