Installation crashing Lenovo m700

Whattteva

Wizard
Looks like a HW issue. I've never had a reboot mid base-os install and I've installed TrueNAS more times than I can count.

Whattteva

Wizard
meaning... give up?
No. Meaning you should start the process of figuring out which part is causing stability issues. It could be any number of things from CPU overheating, faulty RAM, or faulty/overloaded PSU. You figure out which one by swapping them with other known stable components.

Blastic

Cadet
No. Meaning you should start the process of figuring out which part is causing stability issues. It could be any number of things from CPU overheating, faulty RAM, or faulty/overloaded PSU. You figure out which one by swapping them with other known stable components.
I believe all hardware is ok. I am able to install windows and PF Sense, etc. Ram I put in is from a known computer. hardware diagnostics check out. Tried with both a m.2 drive and a standard sata.

Not sure what to try next.

Thanks for your help BTW.

Blastic

Cadet
Update: Nata, still no go. Is there any way to install this on a similar computer and swap the hard drive, like one could with Windows... Or does the setup HAVE to be done on the exact hardware it will boot into?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there any way to install this on a similar computer and swap the hard drive, like one could with Windows.
Sure, and there's no pesky activation to deal with.

Now, nothing about "mini PC" sounds like "suitable hardware for a NAS," and you have half the minimum RAM, but it doesn't seem likely those are causing your immediate problem.

Blastic

Cadet
Sure, and there's no pesky activation to deal with.

Now, nothing about "mini PC" sounds like "suitable hardware for a NAS," and you have half the minimum RAM, but it doesn't seem likely those are causing your immediate problem.
I have 8 GB ram in it and its a 6th gen i5. I thought 8gb was the min?

Davvo

MVP
I have 8 GB ram in it and its a 6th gen i5. I thought 8gb was the min?
It was 16GB since a while ago, now it appears to have shrunk back to 8 again. The majority of this forum's users consider 16 to be the minimum, meaning if you go lower than that you have to expect instability (but could be good enough for basic storage).

It might be a corrupt installer, try redownloading the OS and reflashing it on the boot media.

Last edited:

sretalla