Important announcement regarding FreeNAS Corral

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamerns

Dabbler
I really hate judging comments towards people who switched to FreeNAS Corral and I can see this thread being full of them. So, first of all, let's get one thing clear. This industry is moving forward because of people who adopt technology early and report bugs, deal with problems and etc and not from conservatives who are "waiting" for others to test it first. We are not talking about product that was in early stage of development, or even beta, we are talking about Release. And for iXsystems having those early adopters now stranded is definitely not going to do you any good. Your conservative customers won't move to 9.10.3 probably in next century or so, and early adopters will become more conservative after this too. I for sure am not jumping into dealing with mess of backporting to 9.10 anytime soon.

jpringle03

Dabbler
Can someone from iXsystems please comment if we will be getting any more Corral patches or is it just dead?

Sidenote: Please don't use the Corral name with another product. It's going to only add more confusion.

mow4cash

Contributor
I can't help but think all of the users that are still unaware of this announcement, does anyone even check the announcement forum. I found out through the Google news feed. Maybe sticky this on the other forums and push an update with a notification popup? You can still download Coral on the FreeNAS site with no warning. I agree with the others on the lack of clarification now and going forward.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Thanks Kris for the announcement. This new path looks promising.

bass_rock

Dabbler
It would be helpful to know when the Docker support is coming, as that was one of my main reasons of going to Corral, and now with all my jails transitioned to a Docker like setup, it would help with the transition back to 9.10.

JoelN

Dabbler
Sidenote: Please don't use the Corral name with another product. It's going to only add more confusion.

Agree. Talking about the "next FreeNAS Corral product" is not only confusing but seems a little silly at this point.

MisterE2002

Patron
I wonder how many updated linkedin pages we will see in the next couple of days (jakub, suraj, pierre, josh).
Throwing away the complete asynchronous Middleware/CLI/GUI.
Corral was in a bad shape but not beyond repair.

I do not have inside info or something, but it seems there are two camps by iXsystems.
This new GUI is not created in a couple of days.

Going to stick to 9.3. Just using FreeNAS for serving files.
Using another linux server for Docker i guess.

(still grateful for this free piece of software. But very cautious about its future)

Mod note:
its is a possessive pronoun
it's is a contraction of it is

These are two very different words.

Sorry, MisterE2002, but you're just the unlucky guy who made me go over the edge. ;)

- Ericloewe

--
No sweat, i suppose my English is better then/than your Dutch ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FFK

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Michael Schultz

Dabbler
It's been publically available for months now...
Why is there another gui being build along side the current corral gui? Has the plan always been to decom the current one eventually?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Corral GUI was going to be replaced, as explained in the OP. It [the new 9.10 GUI] was a project that had been kinda lurking around for a while, but picked up steam recently.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Middge

Dabbler
Wow... I've spent a good 60-80 hours getting my VM's to work on the new Corral platform. FML.

Will I be able to migrate my VM's to the new new platform? (jesus that is silly)

mrMuppet

Contributor
I still have a 9.10 Bootable usb drive. Will I be able to jump back from corral to 9.10 just by booting it again?

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I still have a 9.10 Bootable usb drive. Will I be able to jump back from corral to 9.10 just by booting it again?

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
See the FAQ. Link is in the OP and you can find it in the Resources section.

Wow... I've spent a good 60-80 hours getting my VM's to work on the new Corral platform. FML.

Will I be able to migrate my VM's to the new new platform? (jesus that is silly)
If not automatically, there will certainly be a guide for how to do it.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Also, can I get the 30-50 hours of testing back I did? I felt like such a bad 'loser' tester when everyone told me off for the stuff I was reporting and look what happened, I feel justified.

MisterE2002

Patron
there you have it...

https://twitter.com/joshuarule?lang=en
"Several people from my team including myself got laid off today at IXSystems So if you need a design engineer / front end work reach out!"

Posted the day after Jordan resigned.
Pierre also left it seems: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pchaussalet

This is really a bummer. Throwing away all this work. I want to thank all Corral team member for their work!!
I am sure the will have a job soon anyway.

boatymcboatface

Dabbler
I just want to state that I appreciate how hard this must be for anyone involved in FreeNAS development or support. Conversations must have been tough, and seeing forum posts of people ranting no doubt make that feeling worse. I fully sympathise, and hope you don't get stuck with that feel too long and can move on soon. Regardless of valid reasons, decisions and events, nobody signs up to deliver something to then roll it back.

Personally I jumped on the Corral wagon. I dabbled with the dockers, and spent time tweaking and posting support questions/feedback.
I LOVED the black UI :) The future UI looks pretty promising though from the one screenshot I saw.

I understand the decision to go back to a solid, proven platform and then focus on backporting functionality from Corral to that platform.
It will cost me some time to set things up again, but that's the price I pay for being an early adopter (and a price I'm always willing to pay for free software!).

As far as designing my server needs goes - I will move away from the Docker approach. I like the system and understand it, but always felt like a NAS should be "clean", if that makes sense. I prefer a (virtualized), clean file serving NAS over one running stuff on the side. I'd rather run a second or even more VM's outside the NAS than dockers.

That leads me to a question actually - provided I pass through controllers, are there any caveats when virtualizing the future 9.x releases through ESXi that I should be aware of?

Many thanks, and keep the faith!

Cheers,

BmcBF

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.