FreeNAS Corral 10.0.3 update now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Please read this before using FreeNAS Corral.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/important-announcement-regarding-freenas-corral.53502/

Please update using the FreeNAS-Corral-STABLE train or go to http://download.freenas.org/Corral/10.0.3 (or http://www.freenas.org/download/ - whichever you prefer). If you are on the FreeNAS-Corral-Nightlies update train, you will also get all of the changes in this update as the trains have, for the moment, been synchronized.

Note for those having (or reading about) concerns with USB boot device reliability: Due to https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/23029 which is a behavioral change between 9.10 and Corral (9.10 force-migrated all system datasets OFF your boot pool the minute you created the first additional pool; corral waits for you to do this manually with System->Preferences->System Dataset Pool), we are now adding a critical alert to warn users whenever their system dataset is on a USB pool, Since both 9.10 and 10 log to this dataset (9.10 actually logs a little more, in our measurements thus far) but again, this is mitigated in 9.10 by auto-migrating the user off, we recommend that everyone simply go to the system configuration and do this once in Corral. Unless the selected volume is then destroyed, the system dataset will remain off the USB device.

We have fixed a LOT of problems with this update, targeting all of the top issues identified with Corral so far. We obviously have more tickets to fix and more evolution to do, but this is a pretty solid build with am much better 9.10->Corral migrator, so if you jumped off for a bit and want to jump back on, this is a good time!

## FreeNAS Corral 10.0.3 Update series

Welcome to the third minor point release of FreeNAS Corral!

Updates of note in this release (culled from the usual array of resolved tickets).

* Migration fixes (If you were holding off from ugrading to Corral or rolled back to 9.10 for any of these reasons, please give this update a try and let us know)
* Migration of iSCSI shares from 9.10 to Corral fully works now!
* Migration of non-dataset (directory based) shares for nfs, afp, smb, and webdav was broken and is fixed in this update. So please retry the 9.x to Corral upgrade again.
* While migrating a passphraseless encrypted volume from 9.x to Corral, the auto-unlock feature post first/every boot is now migrated.
* Also fixed a few other 9->Corral migration tickets, so migration in general is much better and more robust now.
* If you had your webui bound to an ip (either you had this in 9.x or you did this on a fresh install), the webui would not come back up post a reboot (or post 9.x to Corral migration). This is now fixed.

* Active Directory ID mappings are now configurable in the CLI. New Active Directory configurations use same ID ranges as FreeNAS 9.10, thus are entirely compatible. Existing setups need manual adjustment using CLI.
Example, assumes that directory name is `my_ad`:
```account directoryservice directories my_ad properties idmap set rid_start=20000```
(20000 is the typical value of `rid_start` in FreeNAS 9.)

* Several important UI fixes for encrypted volumes management
* Fixes to Directory Services UI: Can modify search path, remove configuration
* VM VGA consoles now work with HTTPs and custom Web UI ports
* Automatic removal of expired snapshot is fixed
* Re-added netdata service for charting / viewing performance (see service CLI)
* Multiple issues related to NFSv4 and Kerberos have been fixed
* Issue with Web UI not starting after setting up custom bind IP addresses has been fixed
* Bug allowing Container ports to overlap with host ports (like 80!) has been fixed. This may explain some of the "hey, my GUI went away!" tickets.
* Fixed bug where updating docker containers broke them.
* Fixed NFS maproot / mapall UI regression
* Fixed GUI regression in creating LAGGs
* Fixed group creation UI
* Fixed some bugs in encrypted volume unlock UI
* Additional GUI seatbelts added to yell at people more before deleting things, and to make shutdown / reboot a little harder to do accidentally.
* Fixed file downloads with firefox
* Improved performance with firefox

Complete ChangeLog:
## Blocks Until Resolved
* 22038 Can't remove wheel group from additional groups
* 22273 Upgraded to Corral: iscsi share wasn't migrated
* 22860 Refactor users/groups selector

## Regression
* 22496 docker images tab alternates between two image sets
* 22544 NFS maproot and mapall user/group selector does not send "none" value to middleware
* 22897 Tried to add an IPv4 address to a VLAN interface. Javascript KABOOM
* 22930 Docker container update breaks it
* 23064 Many dashboard widgets no longer updating
* 23069 GUI: user create / modify - Submit button inoperant

## Critical
* 21785 save DB (config) fails in Firefox?
* 22114 upgrade the zentyal VM from version 4.2 to 5
* 22177 GUI doesn't open new user or group queries when entering the Users or Groups views
* 22244 VM disk device size shown as 0 after creating the device.
* 22253 Not possible to create 2 zvols in sequenze
* 22256 (debug) screen: save handling erratic
* 22338 VM disk being automatically resized to 0
* 22369 add vm disk without datastore gives infinite loading
* 22371 two other problems with topology disk
* 22400 Rogue Directory Service cannot be deleted
* 22405 Directory service alerts don't show up in the GUI
* 22417 Must refresh GUI (re-login) to unlock more than one encrypted volume
* 22462 Download key task does not complete
* 22538 Some services not waiting for network after update to FreeNAS-10.0.1
* 22558 FreeNAS Corral: nfsuserd: died or didn't start
* 22578 Unable to create groups due to missing filed in Web UI
* 22618 Can't set LDAP encryption to TLS (always ends up being NONE)
* 22648 check box for "Automatically Check for Updates" -> set on "checked" can't be saved.
* 22649 Fix readonly users/groups such that it doesn't break creating groups
* 22670 Port Option Missing in RSync Tas for SSH
* 22728 Make things that delete data or extra objects present an additional confirmation and fix data leak with deletion confirmation fields.
* 22779 Deleting iSCSI shares does not remove config entries in MongoDB
* 22918 default iscsi portal is not shown under portals in CLI
* 22935 Allocated ports table seat belt does NOT work :(
* 23008 Web interface processor use in Firefox
* 23037 FreeNAS-Corral-MASTER-201704030031 ISO installer won't, well, install
* 23048 Permissions are getting smashed somewhere during the pkg installation / re-mastering process
* 23059 Directory services search path selector is totally hork
* 23063 Interestingly enough, I reported this ticket from Corral GUI and it set See in to BETA2, I have RELEASE version
* 23073 FreeNAS-Corral-MASTER-201704040629 - unable to set/edit dateset/share ownership

## Expected
* 21038 ChangeLog field in Update UI does not render markdown
* 21814 Calendar > rsync fails with "mkdir "/None" failed"
* 22176 User home directory displays incorrectly in Users display
* 22243 Blank VGA console when trying to install Windows/CentOS/etc with UEFI boot loader
* 22419 Save button doesn't always work in Safari
* 22532 Remove file browser namespace from CLI
* 22570 Kerberos Realms UI Seems Very Broken
* 22685 10.0.0.2 installer doesn't recognize that Corral is already installed
* 22690 Corral U2 - Mirroring existing boot stops system from booting
* 22718 Stale guid in freenas 9.x database causes pool to be not imported during migration from 9.x to corral
* 22837 FreeNAS-Corral-MASTER-201703261749 syslog not being forwarded
* 22932 Disallow changes in the GUI for LOCKED volumes
* 22960 Encrypted volume master key save/restore does not do its job anymore
* 23085 Can't save changes to directory services search path
* 23099 Container update from GUI sends wrong value of Command field

## Important
* 21493 Re-Integrate Netdata Into FreeNAS
* 22239 9->10 Drive activity lights no longer working? (possibly sgpio issue?)
* 22251 Recycle bin is corrupt on folders within SMB datastore and directory share
* 22378 Invalid container name (u), only [a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_.-]
* 22427 Entire system hangs after reboot. GUI and CLI alike
* 22510 Shares' JSON descriptor has the wrong ownership/permissions
* 22528 Encrypted actions do not update on locked/unlocked state change
* 22688 Unknown DHCP option 66, skipped
* 22689 SMB - AD member server. Corral changes winbind idmap range for RID backend. Appears to result in permissions problems
* 22865 authorized-keys-helper script adds 10 second delay to ssh login
* 22959 It's far too easy to shut down in the GUI
* 22990 HDDs recognized in boot log but unavailable for volume creation
* 22994 SSH login slow after update
* 23021 Searching for LDAP users using uid= in search base fails on some servers.
* 23102 Available docker networks are not displayed in the container create UI when 'docker host' value is 'default'
* 23104 set empty_password=yes

## Nice to have
* 13748 service/nfs/config is missing "Support>16 groups" property
* 22498 Time is wrong in autogenerated snapshot names

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Great news. I'll be pointing people to this version now.

userseven

Dabbler
After the shockingly smooth upgrade from 9.10 to Corral 10.0.2 I must report that the new update broke everything for me. I mean, the shares still worked, I'll give it that. Everything else, including the GUI started to manifest horribly. UI would freeze upon clicking certain elements (and by certain I mean everything, like simply clicking calendar or going through to topology and clicking individual drives) and remain frozen for good - a different login was required. The worst part was that although the boot volume window was still showing and not crashing the UI, active boot environments part was missing completely, so no easy way to rollback to previous boot for me. I guess it was time to dust off the old VGA and keyboard console, that got me back running with 10.0.2. I'll abstain from any upgrade until at least 10.0.4 or so.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've heard from a few others that 10.0.3 fixed issues so I guess it's not perfect for everyone.

@userseven Please submit a bug report.

J

jkh

After the shockingly smooth upgrade from 9.10 to Corral 10.0.2 I must report that the new update broke everything for me.
That obviously does not conform to our testing results, nor have I heard any other reports like this (at least not as yet) and we actually sat on that release for almost 10 extra days just to beat on it a whole bunch before publishing it, so that's odd to say the least. Please file a bug report with your debug info - maybe we can spot something about your particular configuration that might explain this. There is a lot of "interesting hardware" out there, some of it not actually hardware (we get a lot of Xen / Virtualbox / KVM virtualization too).

gearhead

Contributor
I am having problems with GUI. I am using latest firefox. @userseven what browser are using you using to interface with 10.0.3?

nvertigo21

Cadet
* Active Directory ID mappings are now configurable in the CLI. New Active Directory configurations use same ID ranges as FreeNAS 9.10, thus are entirely compatible. Existing setups need manual adjustment using CLI.
Example, assumes that directory name is `my_ad`:
```account directoryservice directories my_ad properties idmap set rid_start=20000```
(20000 is the typical value of `rid_start` in FreeNAS 9.)

I made that change but are there any other changes needed to migrate an existing setup? Permission changes made through windows explorer seem to disappear. Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man

Sassy34

Cadet
Hi,
Im try to install corral 10.0.3 version , in the installation menu i press (1)
to install but notting happen .
now i try to install 10.0.2 and get the update from the GUI .

Thanks in advanced , Sassy .

lukyjay

Contributor
Is the update server offline? How can I check the current status?

When trying to update from the GUI, I keep getting Update server could not be reached.

Edit: Nevermind, I had to set a static gateway, even though everything else was working fine with the DHCP gateway (which is the same IP btw). Possible bug.

lukyjay

Contributor
Wow updating killed everything. Dockers won't start and can't access the web ui to figure out why... I thought this was release software?

I don't recommend anyone update. A simple search will show many issues and bugs

darkwarrior

Patron
Wow updating killed everything. Dockers won't start and can't access the web ui to figure out why... I thought this was release software?

I don't recommend anyone update. A simple search will show many issues and bugs

Hi there,

These kind of comments are not helpful at all in solving the issues that you encountered...
please file bug tickets.

Corral is out only since a few weeks, give it some time to reach more maturity. ;)

userseven

Dabbler
Corral is amazing even though is a few weeks old. That's not the point, i don't think anybody would try to dismiss the work these people put in it and what they are accomplishing with every iteration. But information is never a bad thing, even if it's not necessary directed towards bug tracking. A warning that some users could end up with the GUI not working could help enormously, if only to belay the update to a moment when you know you have time to react in case the unspeakable happens.

lukyjay

Contributor
I managed to get the GUI working after a few reboots (resolved itself).

These kind of comments are not helpful at all in solving the issues that you encountered...
please file bug tickets.
Whilst I think that's nice of you, I'm not trying to make comments. I'm trying to let potential users know that Corral is not stable enough for the real world at this time. I'm sure it will be in the future, but for now I wouldn't put anything business on it. In my opinion it should still be labelled beta software until it's more stable.

Not my software not my brand or userbase at risk, so all I can do is provide my opinion.

darkwarrior

Patron
Personally, I don't consider it production ready yet either.
But the more people play around with Corral the more quickly the DEVs will be able to hunt down the last gremlins.
BTW: It's not without reason that there's a message on the download page : Perform a full external backup before attempting a migration ;)

zuzuzzzip

Dabbler
I updated from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3 and I also am experiencing lots of issues.

I believe it broke some networking stuff as I had to but my lagg, child and vlan interfaces to up manually after updating.
This in turn causes bhyve not to work, even after putting interfaces up and thus docker not to work.

Also I still cannot auto-unlock my encrypted volume 'tank', so lots of settings seem to have been gone.
I always need to import the zpool manually (geli attach + zpool import). Through the GUI/CLI I just can't get it imported. (tank already exists, after detach, guid not found for volume ...)

So yeah, there are still some major issues for people who just want to use the GUI ...

darkwarrior

Patron
I updated from 10.0.2 to 10.0.3 and I also am experiencing lots of issues.

I believe it broke some networking stuff as I had to but my lagg, child and vlan interfaces to up manually after updating.
This in turn causes bhyve not to work, even after putting interfaces up and thus docker not to work.

Also I still cannot auto-unlock my encrypted volume 'tank', so lots of settings seem to have been gone.
I always need to import the zpool manually (geli attach + zpool import). Through the GUI/CLI I just can't get it imported. (tank already exists, after detach, guid not found for volume ...)

So yeah, there are still some major issues for people who just want to use the GUI ...

Hi there,
You filed a ticket for that ?

My IPSec VPN tunnels site-to-site (I have 6 at the moment) to my clients in a pfSense VM I'm using stopped connecting in 10.0.3. If I boot back to 10.0.2 they all connects instantly.

Booting back to 10.0.3 it doesn't connect at all.

It's a bug?

s

LBitner99

Cadet
Anyone having issues on 10.0.2 and the only update trains available are for 9.3 and 9.10? I would love to update to 10.0.3 but just can't seem to make it happen!

Lapse4

Cadet
I am seeing the same issue where I only see 9.3 and 9.10 update trains on 10.0.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.