Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Varun Chugh

Dabbler
Hi, need help. I had updated to Corral but I dont have any 9.10 configurations saved etc. I am okay to reconfigure FreeNAS right from scratch. If I do a clean install of FreeNAS 11 on a USB stick and boot up with that, will FreeNAS 11 recognize my datasets?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

johnjaylward

Dabbler
Are the VMs from corral compatible with the VMs in 11? It would be nice if I could just copy my vm configurations from 10 to 11 and be back up and running.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, you can't just copy over a configuration file, but you can copy over the disk image.

flederohr

Cadet
You can check your pool for the acl mode discard_aclmode with following command:
zfs list -H -o name,aclmode | awk '/discard_chmod/ { print $1 }'

and update them to the restricted acl mode with this:
zfs list -H -o name,aclmode | awk '/discard_chmod/ { system ("zfs set aclmode=restricted "$1) }'

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can check your pool for the acl mode discard_aclmode with following command:
zfs list -H -o name,aclmode | awk '/discard_chmod/ { print $1 }'
Does zfs list gracefully handle unknown aclmode values?

flederohr

Cadet
As long as you are still in the Corral environment, zfs list recognizes the mode discard_chmod.
I'm not sure if that would still be the case on an FreeNAS 11 system.

But i successfully was able to fix my pool with this commands prior to migration from Corral to FreeNAS 11.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Okay, that's still useful. I'll update the Resource tomorrow, hopefully.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ericloewe updated FAQ: Migrating from FreeNAS Corral to FreeNAS 9.10 / 11 with a new update entry:

Updated detection method

Contrary to what I had been previously told, the current aclmode can be checked using zfs list. The document has been updated to make use of this important detail, to more clearly direct users to the datasets that need fixing.

Special thanks to @flederohr for bringing this to my attention and providing the awk-fu.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Posting here in case there are other novices like me who were as unlucky as to build their first NAS in that 2 month window that Corral was being pushed as the shiny new thing...

If you created a volume in Corral; FreeNAS 11.1 will import it just fine.

At least it did for me. You will have to redo the shares, but I found 11.1 to be easier to understand and more reliable when setting up permissions, unlike my experience with Corral shares, 11.1 just works. I'm much happier with my experience so far on 11.1. Just follow the documentation for importing volumes and setting up shares.

At first, reading the forum, it seemed like it was only possible to get back on the current live branch of development if you had upgraded to Corral from an earlier version of FreeNAS, but impossible if you set up your initial volume in Corral.

If that was true at some point, it is no longer the case. If it wasn't, then I just misunderstood the information. Either way, thanks to the developers for making it easy to migrate from Corral to 11.1.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Note that, for late pre-release and release versions of Corral, you will have to fix the aclmode on any affected datasets and possibly redo permissions.

At first, reading the forum, it seemed like it was only possible to get back on the current live branch of development if you had upgraded to Corral from an earlier version of FreeNAS, but impossible if you set up your initial volume in Corral.

If that was true at some point, it is no longer the case. If it wasn't, then I just misunderstood the information.
It was never true, unless you specifically used the new features - and I'll venture a guess that literally nobody did.

Either way, thanks to the developers for making it easy to migrate from Corral to 11.1.
I'd hardly call it "easy", all the ease is more of an accident than anything. Except for encrypted pools, for which a helper script was written.

Status
Not open for further replies.