FreeNAS Corral: The long road to 10 RELEASE has reached its destination (but heralds new beginning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I
Is there a simple guide for how to do this? I have a Docker container up and ready to go, and working, but I'm not sure what step to do next. I was only running Plex and Nextcloud; the Plex I'm happy to recreate from scratch since it has no "history" associated with it, but my Nextcloud previous versions... :'(
Sorry, no easy guide. Roughly it should work like this:

1. Install FreeBSD. I created a VM from scratch because all the templates use ZFS and I wanted to conserve memory in the guest environment.
2. Archive (tar) your jails.
3. Extract them into e.g. /var/jails/jail1, /var/jails/jail2, ... in that FreeBSD VM.
4. Configure your FreeBSD VM with bridged networking and as many IP(v4) addresses as you have jails plus one.
5, Familiarize yourself with the jail(8) man page.
6. Create rc.conf entries like this:
Code:
jail_enable="YES"
jail_list="jail1 jail2"
jail_sysvipc_allow="YES"

jail_jail1_rootdir="/var/jails/jail1"
jail_jail1_hostname="jail1.some.domain"
jail_jail1_ip="1.2.3.4"
jail_jail1_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail1_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"
jail_jail1_procfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail1_parameters="allow.raw_sockets=1"

jail_jail2_rootdir="/var/jails/jail2"
jail_jail2_hostname="jail2.some.domain"
jail_jail2_ip="1.2.3.5"
jail_jail2_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail2_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"
jail_jail2_procfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail2_parameters="allow.raw_sockets=1"

7. Additionally you need to export your FreeNAS volumes for the jails via NFS and mount them into the appropriate locations in your jails' directory structure. You do this from outside the jails, i.e. your FreeBSD "host" VM.
8. You will need to adjust user and group IDs inside the jails and in FreeNAS for the NFS shares, too.
9. Optionally use VNET instead of IP aliases ...

So, it's really not difficult for the experienced FreeBSD admin, but definitely quite the can of worms ... lots of nitty-gritty details.

HTH,
Patrick

Last edited:

Soloam

Contributor
There is no direct replacement, you will need to do it manually! What I'm doing is see which files contain the service of the jail configuration, for example databases. I'll copy those to the new FreeNAS docker container! I've done this on the past when I needed to reinstall a jail for some reason!

There will be some work to have it all working again, but I think that it totally pays of! On Saturday I'll give it a go!

TM Rydland

Dabbler
Looks great, but i now get "ops youre token has expired, please log back in", that does not work. And I am effectively locked out of the webui. What can I do to get back in?

It also seems like I cant su to root with ssh client

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
Sorry, no easy guide. Roughly it should work like this:

1. Install FreeBSD. I created a VM from scratch because all the templates use ZFS and I wanted to conserve memory in the guest environment.
2. Archive (tar) your jails.
3. Extract them into e.g. /var/jails/jail1, /var/jails/jail2, ... in that FreeBSD VM.
4. Configure your FreeBSD VM with bridged networking and as many IP(v4) addresses as you have jails plus one.
5, Familiarize yourself with the jail(8) man page.
6. Create rc.conf entries like this:
Code:
jail_enable="YES"
jail_list="jail1 jail2"
jail_sysvipc_allow="YES"

jail_jail1_rootdir="/var/jails/jail1"
jail_jail1_hostname="jail1.some.domain"
jail_jail1_ip="1.2.3.4"
jail_jail1_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail1_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"
jail_jail1_procfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail1_parameters="allow.raw_sockets=1"

jail_jail2_rootdir="/var/jails/jail2"
jail_jail2_hostname="jail2.some.domain"
jail_jail2_ip="1.2.3.5"
jail_jail2_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail2_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"
jail_jail2_procfs_enable="YES"
jail_jail2_parameters="allow.raw_sockets=1"

7. Additionally you need to export your FreeNAS volumes for the jails via NFS and mount them into the appropriate locations in your jails' directory structure. You do this from outside the jails, i.e. your FreeBSD "host" VM.
8. You will need to adjust user and group IDs inside the jails and in FreeNAS for the NFS shares, too.
9. Optionally use VNET instead of IP aliases ...

So, it's really not difficult for the experienced FreeBSD admin, but definitely quite the can of worms ... lots of nitty-gritty details.

HTH,
Patrick

I would love to see that as more of an idiots guide (perhaps with some examples of the most common jails, such as plex, owncloud, etc.) as you've made it sound so simple. I suspect for a non-FreeBSD admin, it would be anything but o_O

IceBoosteR

Guru
Wow, congratulation to you all.
I am happy to hear that FreeNAS10 aka Corral is now out. I'll upgrade this weekend and I've been waiting for that a long time. Now I can realize all my virtualisation dreams, without using ESXi.

Thank you guys!

mysticpete

Contributor
J

jkh

Looks like there are issues with migration of encrypted volumes and plugins, interesting Plex ninja tutorial on moving Plex into a docker https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/263720/migrating-from-freenas-9-plugin-to-freenas-coral-docker
Those issues have since been addressed and will be in an upcoming software update in the next few days.

It's just a pity that they didn't check the upgrading FAQ on the wiki first, which specifically warns about more complex encrypted pool scenarios.

IceBoosteR

Guru
Those issues have since been addressed and will be in an upcoming software update in the next few days.

It's just a pity that they didn't check the upgrading FAQ on the wiki first, which specifically warns about more complex encrypted pool scenarios.
To be honest, I have read the wiki and followed the steps - and it worked, for some time.
But hey, this is learning by doing. I made my homework, and have a backup, and yes, encryption could also lock out the owner of the data :/
Code:
    1. Update to the latest FreeNAS Corral release by switching trains on your FreeNAS 9.x machine and rebooting
    2. The splash screen finally comes on the console, upon which you will eventually see the migration progress and status information.
    3. The CLI prompt shows up on the console screen and provides the GUI IPs. Note: if you are installing without access to the console screen, ignore steps 2 & 3.
    4. Log in to the WebGUI, and look to the top right screen where there will be an alert prompting you to import the passphrase encrypted volume. The message will look like this: Please import passphrase encrypted volumes: foo, bar and resume migrations from CLI.
    5. Go the CLI, either from the GUI's Console tab, or by ssh-ing into the system, and enter this command: cli. Once in the CLI, excute the commands specified in the next steps.
    6. Use the following command to import your passphrase encrypted volume: volume migration_import name=you_passphrase_encrypted_pool_name_here passphrase="mysupersecretpassphrase"; wait Execute this command for each passphrase encrypted volume on the system. Next, resume the migration by issuing this command: system advanced resume_migration; wait

If I would have know that this could be solved by waiting for a newer release, I would have done this. Now I am restoring Terabytes of data...

eklof

Cadet

I followed it to the letter, but ended up with an orphaned pool which I have to unlock and import manually now. Glad to hear issues have been found. I will try to import the pool again in a few days then ;)

pomah

Explorer
I must say that the new UI looks amazing and the NAS does feel good, but I cant use it...

I must have missed the big text saying that if your CPU does not support virtualisation you cant runt any plugins...

All I need is transmission, but my good old Celeron CPU 1037U does not support VM, so I cant...

And back to 9.10 I go...

The 1037U (which is a mobile/notebook processor) does support VT-x but perhaps your motherboard doesn't.

HippoBaro

Cadet
I've updated to FreeNAS Corral. Congratulation to the team. It is amazing so far!
The UI is a huge leap forward. Setting-up Docker containers on FreeNAS feels weird, but it's for the better.

Last edited by a moderator:

pomah

Explorer
The 1037U (which is a mobile/notebook processor) does support VT-x but perhaps your motherboard doesn't.

Well I must say thank you to you, after looking for some other hardware, I saw you comment and looked through my motherboards manual and saw a setting for VM in UEFI, rebooted saw that it was off, turned it on and now everything seems to be working, trying to learn how dockers work now.

Thank you, so far so good, seems like a major improvement to the old FreeNAS, and the old FreeNAS was almost perfect as it was, during 4 years not a single issue with it...

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
cor·ral
kəˈral/
verb
  1. 1.
    gather together and confine (a group of people or things).
    "the organizers were corralling the crowd into marching formation"
    synonyms: get, capture, collect, pick up, round up
    "she corralled some new volunteers"

Makes perfect sense with post #15

cliffboss

Dabbler
Just upgrade from 9.10 and everything is so far running smooth.

Running it with a AMD A6-5400K APU and containers work :)

Congrats to the dev team.

rtlite51

Dabbler
Thanks to all the administrators and contributors for all their hard work. Well done!!

pschatz100

Guru
Check your bios settings. Many times, virtualization is disabled by default.

diedrichg

Wizard
Fl2p3HF.jpg
Haha! Now that's some funny sh!t right there!

Status
Not open for further replies.