Corral to FreeNAS 9.10/11 Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartikmani

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 4 TB FreeNAS home server which I upgraded to Corral in 03/2017. Since then I did add a new user for Apple Time Machine purposes but made no other configuration changes. I did not upgrade my zpool.

The resource page for transitions suggested we post a new thread for these situations so wondering if anyone has a good strategy for migration to 9.10/FreeNAS 11 in this case. I can provide any other details about the installation.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!
KM

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Since then I did add a new user
That's it? Do you have an existing 9.x/11 config? If not, it doesn't matter, you need to redo all your users anyway.

If you do, just be sure to add the user once 11 is up and running.

In either case, don't forget that UIDs and GIDs must match before and after, otherwise you'll have to completely redo your permissions.

kartikmani

Cadet
Thanks for your reply! Yes the only change was adding a new user. I don't believe I have the 9.1 config backup, but I do still have the boot environment available. From the original post with transition instructions I was under the impression that I couldn't revert after making the user changes - is that correct?

Is it preferable to just do a fresh install of 11 and reconfigure it manually? Just wondering what the best strategy would be.

Thanks again.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
From the original post with transition instructions I was under the impression that I couldn't revert after making the user changes - is that correct?
You can, you just have to add the user with the correct UID, member of the same groups, etc.

If you don't, nothing too bad happens, but you'll have to redo your permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.