Important announcement regarding FreeNAS Corral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It is the easy way, from an engineering standpoint. However, let's put things into perspective:
  • Continuing with 9.10 means there's a solid base that can gradually receive the cool new features
  • Much of the dev work that went into Corral was not wasted. Some features can be quickly ported to 9.10, other features can benefit from hindsight after significant development and avoid past mistakes, ...
  • Having a stable OS is a necessity. TrueNAS was not going to move to Corral before it was rock-solid, so 9.10 dev effort had to continue. This way, it's possible that what Corral should have been may be upon us sooner than if Corral was the main focus
  • 9.10 has been getting many under-the-hood improvements to bring it closer to what Corral wanted to be

JB82

Cadet
I'll be honest, I'm a bit pissed at this. I've just gone from 9 to 10 on various client NASs and now I've got to roll everything back again. Starting to wonder if I'd be better of using xpenology as at least Synology maintain their updates and the interface is perfect.

gotenks

Cadet
After seeing nuggets of restrained negativity here need to put my two cents in. So glad this is happening because I was considering moving it all back to 9x anyway, with 40TB I have no hangups about backing up the configs of PlexPass and Emby in docker, re-installing the system with jails and switching to nightlies to support importing the volume. The time and resources of the FreeNAS team are better spent working on 9.10.3 rather than trying to accommodate some kind of silly one button switch over for those who took the plunge too early like me. They're just two different systems and it's an unexpected relief is all I can say.

Sidenote: If this can happen, who knows maybe BlackBerry can admit they made a mistake and restart production of BB10 devices but I'm just dreaming.

Michael Schultz

Dabbler
After seeing nuggets of restrained negativity here need to put my two cents in. So glad this is happening because I was considering moving it all back to 9x anyway, with 40TB I have no hangups about backing up the configs of PlexPass and Emby in docker, re-installing the system with jails and switching to nightlies to support importing the volume. The time and resources of the FreeNAS team are better spent working on 9.10.3 rather than trying to accommodate some kind of silly one button switch over for those who took the plunge too early like me. They're just two different systems and it's an unexpected relief is all I can say.

Sidenote: If this can happen, who knows maybe BlackBerry can admit they made a mistake and restart production of BB10 devices but I'm just dreaming.
I feel like the removal of none freebsd virtual machines is a much larger part of this than 1 button upgrades... It's a straight up removal of features. I'm not waiting a month for 9.10.3 to start my 30 vm reinstalls.

lukyjay

Contributor
I have read some comments in this thread and am a bit confused. Currently on 10.0.3, can I install Freenas 9.10.2 stable and import my current volume?

SavageAUS

Patron
I have read some comments in this thread and am a bit confused. Currently on 10.0.3, can I install Freenas 9.10.2 stable and import my current volume?
From what I read you will need to go to the 9.10 nightlies. As this is what I will need to do if I'm correct I'd like to hear a yes or no answer as well.
10.0.x > 9 stable
Or
10.0.x > 9 nightlies till 9.10.3.

Edit: I have a backup config from 9.10.2 u2 I think it is once reverting either to nightlies or stable will I be able to import that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've just gone from 9 to 10 on various client NASs and now I've got to roll everything back again.
I don't want to be negative, but it's been a very short and somewhat troubled time for Corral. Updating machines that were in production is not a very good idea, under those circumstances. And, in your case, the process should be relatively simple - just boot into 9.10 and everything will be back to the way it was before.

chrisada

Explorer
Asynchronous middleware (different, and fully documented, implementation) yes. CLI, no.
I could live with that, but still wish CLI makes a come back in future releases.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I could live with that, but still wish CLI makes a come back in future releases.
I was really looking forward to the cli. I think there is much more flexibility and straight forwardness.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Peter Friedrich

Dabbler
Thanks for the update and listening to your customers. I personally upgraded to the new version too, with excitement, to then see all my jails (especially Plex) disappeared, and when i wanted to reinstall as VM/Docker i got the message that my CPU doesn't support this feature. So i had to revert to 9.10 to get my system back up and running. Thankfully that was a quick and easy fix.

You guys are doing a very good job, and as a Software Developer i completely understand that things like this happen. As soon as the software is being used on a wide variety of hardware.

Maybe i can suggest to have any upgrade or at least major upgrades test, if the current hardware configuration actually allows all features....

def con

Dabbler
If I Initially installed Corral, Can i still change trains to 9.10 stable/9.10 nightlies and reconfigure it without losing datasets?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, data is always safe.

FFK

Dabbler
I have just - as a newbie with zero prior experience with FreeNAS - successfully set up a home server now running 10.0.4. So far, issues have been minor and I am running a few Docker containers (Plex, Duplicati and Transmission) with no problems.

Now, I think you need to be more specific and elaborate in your message here. It is impossible to fully gauge the issues that have warranted this major reversal - can someone highlight the main ones, please?

Initially, I have two questions:

1. Are my data in any danger because of the issues with Corral?
2. Are Docker going away or is it coming back for the 9.10-based FreeNAS (and if the latter, when - with 9.10.3?)?.

Last edited by a moderator:

melloa

Wizard
I'm not blaming jkh for anything. I'm just disappointed at the direction things have taken.

Not saying you did, that's why I've removed your name from the quote. As a developer and a manager I know what happens behind the scenes, so want to express my support to @jkh, even having had some disagreement with him in the past.
I'm a die hard FreeNAS fan, running two 9.10 and two Corrals. as a home user. As many of us here, I have spent several hours troubleshooting Corral. Corral is a great project; GUI is awesome; bhyve I can't comment as I'm on ESX(i); Dockers nice to have, but better when FreeBSD native.

Now I only need to find a way to migrate my pool from Corral to 9.10, until and if Corral will continue.

Eniqmatic

Explorer
I have just - as a newbie with zero prior experience with FreeNas - successfully set up a home server now running 10.0.4. So far, issues have been minor and I am running a few Docker containers (Plex, Duplicati and Transmission) with no problems.

Now, I think you need to be more specific and elaborate in your message here. It is impossible to fully gauge the issues that have warranted this major reversal - can someone highlight the main ones, please?

Initially, I have two questions:

1. Are my data in any danger because of the issues with Corral?
2. Are Docker going away or is it coming back for the 9.10-based FreeNas (and if the latter, when - with 9.10.3?)?.

If you take a look at the roadmap on the announcement (page 1) Docker support is scheduled for 9.10.3.

Data will not be in danger, ZFS is the underlying filesystem in both 9.10 and 10 and functions the same.

melloa

Wizard
I don't want to be negative, but it's been a very short and somewhat troubled time for Corral. Updating machines that were in production is not a very good idea, under those circumstances. And, in your case, the process should be relatively simple - just boot into 9.10 and everything will be back to the way it was before.

Can't agree more on migration not been indicated for business on a so young software.

MikeWi

Cadet
So after committing to Corral, and deleting my jails to recover disk space, I might have to start over from scratch? Unacceptable. Will we be able to continue using Corral? I have no trouble with it, and love the implementation of dockers instead of the jail system.
Releasing it too early was irresponsible at best, but this is really bad.

Ir13h

Dabbler
what a super disappointing shit show. Waited patiently during FreeNAS 10 development for it to be usable because of the great features and now it just turns out that wait was a complete waste of time. I understand not calling something stable if its not actually stable but this smacks of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

The ui framework reason seems like a red herring, If you are updating anything to angular why not the new ui?
what about the async nature of the corral ui?

Last edited by a moderator:

FFK

Dabbler
So after committing to Corral, and deleting my jails to recover disk space, I might have to start over from scratch? Unacceptable. Will we be able to continue using Corral? I have no trouble with it, and love the implementation of dockers instead of the jail system.
I second the sentiments and the questions.

Eniqmatic

Explorer
So after committing to Corral, and deleting my jails to recovuer disk space, I might have to start over from scratch? Unacceptable. Will we be able to continue using Corral? I have no trouble with it, and love the implementation of dockers instead of the jail system.
If you are working fine on it, then great. No issues and you can just continue to run it.

We need to wait for a little more clarity on whether there will be ANY updates going forward for the Corral platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.