Important announcement regarding FreeNAS Corral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy C

Explorer
Spent a lot of time migrating to Corral. Now, the Corral cheerleader jkh has left and hey, guess what, Corral has been sidelined. Not impressed.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Wow, this took some balls to do.

I kept trying to test 10, I kept posting bug reports, I kept commenting here and people ignored me or told me I was wrong.
Thanks for the hard work, god damn you've taken on a messy project. Thank goodness 9 is so good for me.

Dramos

Cadet
Just a bit curious, if we've upgraded our volumes on 10.0.0.4, can we roll back to 9.10-2-U2 or do we need to wait for 9.10.3?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

danjng

Explorer
im a lil confused right now, im on freenas 10 since betas and went thru all nightlies.

after the release in march, we decide to migrate our production data to freenas corral, so for now 90% of migration is completed.
and the current 10.0.4 is up and running fine on my end.
spent many hours / weeks / month, for testing, configurations, building vms + containers

so did that mean when 9.10.3 has released, there will be a way to update/migrate everything ? except importing pools.
incl. config. or did we have to build a new configuration ? rebuilding vms + containers, configuration ?
My understanding is that there is not going to be a way to "upgrade" from Corral to 9.10.3. Still waiting to hear back on whether there will be a migration guide or some sort of way to migrate settings and configuration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jpringle03

Dabbler
I hope they end up putting in the effort to make people on Corral a path to "upgrade" to 9.10.3. I feel like this should be a high priority features request of 9.10.3 because they did make us all think Corral was stable when they released it.

melloa

Wizard
Spent a lot of time migrating to Corral. Now, the Corral cheerleader jkh has left and hey, guess what, Corral has been sidelined. Not impressed.

One will never know the pressures @jkh might have suffered to release on time a product that wasn't ready, so you can have two sides here. Corral is great as a concept; ready for release? No. A company isn't made of one person, decisions are collective, so blame one for lots of people errors seems wrong.

Andy C

Explorer
One will never know the pressures @jkh might have suffered to release on time a product that wasn't ready, so you can have two sides here. Corral is great as a concept; ready for release? No. A company isn't made of one person, decisions are collective, so blame one for lots of people errors seems wrong.

I'm not blaming jkh for anything. I'm just disappointed at the direction things have taken.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not sure I understand this. I can roll onto the nightlies from 10? I don't care about the docker. Just want to roll back to the stable version.
I'm not sure, but worst-case you can either do a fresh install of the nightlies or first switch trains to 9.10.2-U2 and from there switch trains again to the 9.10 Nightlies.

maydo

Contributor
I hope they end up putting in the effort to make people on Corral a path to "upgrade" to 9.10.3. I feel like this should be a high priority features request of 9.10.3 because they did make us all think Corral was stable when they released it.
+1

m3ki

Contributor
Wow!
It takes guts to guts to own up to a mistake!

I am confident that FreeNAS team will make it right, in time.

For us who made a jump to Corral and currently on 10.0.3 what is the safest path to going back to 9?

Not all of 100tb of data is backed up at the moment and no way of doing that.

I am using docker containers that's pretty much it.

Will there be a simple tutorial what to do?

Are the following steps what I need to do?:
  1. 10.0.3 -> Corral Nightlies [UPGRADE]
  2. Corral Nightlies -> 9.10.3 ?
Will there be a docker and cli support on 9.10.3?

Michael Schultz

Dabbler
I'm so pissed off right now. I refuse to look at the 9.* gui ever again, which is required until the new gui is done. Whats the best FreeNAS alternative?

D

dlavigne

I was really looking forward to the asynchronous (is that the right term?) UI commands in Corral, where you could start a task and leave that page in the UI without causing issues. Will this make it in to 9.X? I would imagine this requires an architecture change, but is it on the roadmap?

Beginning with 9.10.2, we've been implementing an asynchronous middleware that is expected to be feature complete in the next few months. This middleware is being documented as it's created. To read its docs, type /api/docs after the IP address of your FreeNAS system. Once the middleware is complete, we'll also be publishing the API docs (similar to how api.freenas.org contains the docs for the old middleware).

janw

Cadet
It takes guts to guts to own up to a mistake!

Acknowledging failure does not necessarily mean you have to drop everything you've achieved so far. I'd even go so far as to say: Rolling back and continuing the 9.10 train is the easy way out. Truly owning up to something often coincides with sucking it up, staying true to a previous bad choice.

Let me be clear, I'm not running this in production. My homelab is my hobby, and in an enterprise environment I would never have migrated that early on. Nonetheless I invested a ton of time, reworking everything and make Corral feel homey. Now all that is shitcanned, and quite frankly the move annoys me deeply.

I will suck it up eventually. But don't expect me not to vent about it.

Jon K

Explorer
I commend the FreeNAS team for taking this path. I haven't been in full investigation of Corral but I did roll out the upgrade for my VMware ZFS storage node and found no post-init scripts and limited iSCSI configuration and rolled back to 9.10 U2. That said, gents, lets leave the politics out of it - it takes a bigger person to say "Hey that thing we released isn't actually ready yet and so we're pulling it back from GA to tech preview." Meanwhile, commercial products, I mean big, big commercial storage solutions, make similar roll outs and then drive the product that's not ready to the finish line... but by time they get there it's on fire, leaking oil, full of trash, and everyone jumps out screaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.