How to Setup Native OpenVPN server?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
The right way to do it is to forget that this "feature" exists in TrueNAS, and run the VPN server on your router instead.
You can run the VPN on TrueNAS, you just should not mess with IPFW and NAT. A single static route is all that is necessary.

Second best:

If your Internet router does not support static routes but does allow setting of DHCP parameters served to clients in the LAN then set the default gateway to your TrueNAS system and again VPN will magically work without NAT. And there is no performance penalty, because ICMP redirect exists.

fcorbelli

Explorer
He already has. The right way to do it is to forget that this "feature" exists in TrueNAS, and run the VPN server on your router instead. But you're having trouble getting past your butthurt to see it.
With even a basic knowledge of FreeBSD's networking no need to buy another router

fcorbelli

Explorer
"Can anybody point me in the direction a non jargon guide to setting up the openvpn on core 13"

I am sure somebody will post this guide
Soon, very soon
A step-by-step tutorial
Not that hard, afterall
At least, not hard for me

fcorbelli

Explorer
So it is impossible to use the TrueNAS OpenVPN server?
Or maybe nobody knows how to make a guide, tutorial or whatever, to make it work?

Perhaps it is deprecated, and remains there only for historical reasons?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What's missing from this one?

fcorbelli

Explorer
What's missing from this one?
It's the old adage isn't it. Don't ask and you will get nowt. So here goes . Can anybody point me in the direction a non jargon guide to setting up the openvpn on core 13. Managed ddns but totally failed on truenas procedure. Thanks in advance

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I sincerely do not understand your question. Probably your guide was mostly ok. Just don't recommend using NAT and replace that with a paragraph about setting a static route in your Internet router?

People who followed Youtube guides and enabled unsupported NAT tunables came to the forum in droves with "help all my plugins are not reachable anymore". Well ... then the YT guide is probably crap. I did not ask you to remove your entire procedure. I only pointed out that some very specific tunables are harmful.

fcorbelli

Explorer
I sincerely do not understand your question. Probably your guide was mostly ok. Just don't recommend using NAT and replace that with a paragraph about setting a static route in your Internet router?
I had already done it
People who followed Youtube guides and enabled unsupported NAT tunables came to the forum in droves with "help all my plugins are not reachable anymore". Well ... then the YT guide is probably crap. I did not ask you to remove your entire procedure. I only pointed out that some very specific tunables are harmful.
I do not agree. It is basic openvpn routing on FreeBSD.
Nothing particularly complex or strange.
"Daily bread".
I had put a disclaimer [in the post] like "if you have jail, or VM, or just don't know what to do, keep the 1:1 connection and be happy"
Because this is a huge limitation (of the default configuration)
And if you search this forum you'll see a lot of such requests

For me, the problem does not arise: I have been administering a ~ hundred servers halfway around the world for over 30 years, and I wrote my first operating system on Alpha AXP (with vi) even before Linus. Where routing was written in C, not even C++.
However, I realise that what seems easy to me, is not easy for the average user, and impossible for the "home user".
Even just the absence of * in the Common Name is a catastrophe (for the user who has no idea what a certificate is).
And yes, the TrueNAS core OpenVPN plugin works (kicking, but it works), if we really want to discuss it technically it has a slightly high CPU usage for light machines.
When I'm forced to use TrueNAS core, I use it.
Not a big deal.

I don't know about the TrueNAS debian version, I never use it, but the question is really for the core, by a user asking for some kind of 'tutorial' or 'notebook' or whatever you want to call it

I could also reply 'get an information science degree', or 'get another router', or 'don't use TrueNAS altogether', but I didn't think that was the best answer to the question posed.
Of course I can be wrong

Davvo

MVP
I want to remind everyone in this discussion that user fcorbelli has in the past engaged in behaviour which resulted in the closing of the thread in question.

Personally, it's the only user in my Ignore list. Take what you want from this information.

fcorbelli

Explorer
I want to remind everyone in this discussion that user fcorbelli has in the past engaged in behaviour which resulted in the closing of the thread in question.

Personally, it's the only user in my Ignore list. Take what you want from this information.
Thank you for your comment.
I will give it the consideration it deserves

fcorbelli

Explorer
@Davvo, if your comment wasn't convincing, that individual's response certainly was. *plonk*
Thank you for your very interesting and technical comment!

Have you already prepared the tutorial requested in this thread?