SOLVED OpenVPN failed to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

white_noise

Dabbler
Can anyone assist with my issue, i'm stumped and its likely someone very simple.

This is inside of a transmission jail and i getting the following error when i try to start up OpenVPN but from what i can see the file is present in the correct directory.

[root@transmission_1 /usr/local/etc/openvpn]# ls
keys openvpn.conf
[root@transmission_1 /usr/local/etc/openvpn]# cd keys
[root@transmission_1 /usr/local/etc/openvpn/keys]# ls
ca.crt
[root@transmission_1 /usr/local/etc/openvpn/keys]#

[root@transmission_1 /usr/local/etc/openvpn/keys]# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn start
Starting openvpn.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn: WARNING: failed to start openvpn

output from messages

Feb 22 14:57:05 transmission_1 openvpn[47954]: Options error: --ca fails with 'ca.crt': No such file or directory
Feb 22 14:57:05 transmission_1 openvpn[47954]: Options error: Please correct these errors.
Feb 22 14:57:05 transmission_1 openvpn[47954]: Use --help for more information.
Feb 22 14:57:05 transmission_1 root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn: WARNING: failed to start openvpn

Check first if the path in the OpenVPN config for the certificate(s) is /usr/local/etc/openvpn/keys/(ca.crt)
(mine are in the OpenVPN folder, not in keys for example)

Also check that the OpenVPN user has access rights to the crt file

white_noise

Dabbler
Thank you! you are correct the keys did not need to be in a folder keys.

djrkd

Dabbler
im trying to set this up for the first time, can someone help me and tell me where to get or create the user.crt user.key and ta.key ? I have the ca.crt from PIA (my VPN provider)

Thanks!

You only need the ca.crt file (and config file of course)

If you read a little more (as in: the whole thread), you'll see that some mention they only have that one file. I only have one also. Just follow the steps. Make sure you select the option to enable password saving for auth-user-pass when you install OpenVPN and later that the path to the .crt file is correct in your config file. That are the most important additions to the initial post there.

Supa

Patron
I'm having the same problem actually.

Whenever I change my server to a 2 word one.. I get this error: Options error: --ca fails with '/ usr/local/etc/openvpn//usr/local/etc/openvpn/ca.crt': No such file or directory Options error: --crl-verify fails with '/usr/local/etc/openvpn//usr/local/etc/openvpn/crl.pem': No such file or directory

while if I keep it on like Switzerland/Mexico... any server with 1 word it works just fine. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Filenames with spaces should be addressed like this "/path/file name.ext" or this '/path/file name.ext'

Supa

Patron
I'm pretty sure i've tried it both ways...

openvpn_configfile="/usr/local/etc/openvpn/US_California.ovpn"

and

openvpn_configfile="/usr/local/etc/openvpn/US California.ovpn"

When i put a space it says:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn: WARNING: /usr/local/etc/openvpn/US is not readable.
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/openvpn: WARNING: failed precmd routine for openvpn

When I put an underscore openvpn won't even start...

Dumb question maybe, but did you also change the actual filename accordingly?

Status
Not open for further replies.