[How To] Install Plex Plugin for FreeNAS 11.3 (or newer) - Plex Support Article

andrewjs18

Contributor
any particular directory we should set our destination mount point for plex in 11.3?

Nokes

Cadet
Hi Yorick,

Installing FreeNAS 11.3 RC2 (or newer) Plex plugin with static IP address:
The notes below are not scientifically proven but to reproduce myself a fully functional PMS ;)
Sir, I created an account specifically to thank you. none of the documentation has been helpful, so thank you so much for your instructions, everything finally works!

Randall_64

Dabbler
Sir, I created an account specifically to thank you. none of the documentation has been helpful, so thank you so much for your instructions, everything finally works!
Hi Nokes,
Glad I could help. All the best and keep safe.
R.

cameronkeel

Dabbler
Hi Yorick,

Installing FreeNAS 11.3 RC2 (or newer) Plex plugin with static IP address:
The notes below are not scientifically proven but to reproduce myself a fully functional PMS ;)

Create user ‘plex’ with ID 972 at Primary Group ‘wheel’. The Plex plugin allways uses this username in it’s jail with corresponding userid. You need this user at the next step.

At the Dataset where the media is located, choose edit ACL.
Under File Information choose User -> plex and Group -> wheel
Check Apply permissions recursively
Confirm, Continue, Save.

Install Plex plugin with DHCP settings. Just enter the name of the jail and there you go. Just accept DHCP because static IP address is not possible initially to get it right. You can change the IP config later to static IP. The Plex plugin with it’s jail will be started after install automatically.

Stop the Plex jail
Edit the Plex jail

Basic properties:
· Uncheck DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4
· Leave VNet checked
· LeaveBerkely checked
IP4 interface: leave ----------------
IP4 address: (free IP address for your jail)
IP4 netmask: (your netmask)
Default router: (your gateway)
· Leave Autostart checked

Jail properties:
· Check Allow raw sockets

Network properties:
· Leave all unchanged

Custom properties:
· Leave all unchanged

Save settings
Start the jail to check if it’s working

If yes:
Stop the jail again
Create mountpoints
Start the jail

Now you’ve created the dependencies for the Plex web gui. At this gui you can create your media entrances without errors ‘no soup for you’ or ‘no items available.

Regards, R.
Randal-_64. Following your notes, I finally got PMS running. Though I am having one issue. I think it is user permissions, and I am struggling here. I can not browse to my Plex media folder in my pool/share. I have a share at /mnt/NAS/Plex Entertainment. But I can not add it as a library. any help would be awesome. **Been a rough day, FreeNas crashed, had to reload - actually upgrade to True NAS and install my PMS plugin...I'm so close.

Randall_64

Dabbler
Randal-_64. Following your notes, I finally got PMS running. Though I am having one issue. I think it is user permissions, and I am struggling here. I can not browse to my Plex media folder in my pool/share. I have a share at /mnt/NAS/Plex Entertainment. But I can not add it as a library. any help would be awesome. **Been a rough day, FreeNas crashed, had to reload - actually upgrade to True NAS and install my PMS plugin...I'm so close.

Hi Cameroonkeel,
If you think the issue might be permissions, please verify the permissions for the Plex dataset as I decribed in my notes. Especially the ‘inherit’ part. Just for testing, if you have space enough, just create a small new dataset with user Plex as the owner. Again, all according to my notes about the permission part.
Grtz, R

cameronkeel

Dabbler
I actually figured it out. Not sure if your notes cover this, if so I totally overlooked it, but I need to set a mount point for the plugin. Once I did that, bingo, all was good.

Randall_64

Dabbler
I actually figured it out. Not sure if your notes cover this, if so I totally overlooked it, but I need to set a mount point for the plugin. Once I did that, bingo, all was good.

Hi Cameronkeel,
Good to hear you figured it out. And yes, you need mountpoints! My notes are to setup Plex with a static IP address. They do not cover the mountpoint part, however it should help people which are not familiar with the mechanism of mountpoints.

Some hints from me: if you ever want to move your data to another volume you need to recreate mountpoints in the jail and recreate libraries in Plex. In my case editing mountpoints and libraries did not work when the data has moved.
- Start with removing the library in Plex (your data will be untouched)
- Continue with removing the mountpoint (your data will be untouched)
- At last move your data to the required location
- Create the new mountpoint in the jail
- Create the new library in Plex

If you start with moving your data, you can remove still remove the mountpoint but you can't remove the library in Plex at last. This because Plex does not have a connection with the data anymore. I learned the hard way and had to uninstall en reïnstall Plex.
Have fun with Plex!
Grtz, R

Dantron

Dabbler
these instructions are extremely helpful and the only thing that has worked for me.

This almost diserves it's own KB for Randall_64's instructions

victort

Guru

This is what you should be using in place of plugins. They are deprecated.