How to keep plex plugin up-to-date

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I originally installed my plex plugin via the plugins section of my FreeNAS server. I kept it up to date via the PMS_updater script on github, e.g. this here:

After the update of FreeNAS to TrueNAS and also updating my plex jail to newer version, it has become a real hassle to update the plex plugin. So I wanted to know what is currently the preferable to install and updating the plex plugin and keeping it up-to-date?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

André Fettouhi

Contributor
OK, so it is still the same way. I think I will make a fresh install of the plugin. How do I copy over the data from the old jail/plugin so that I don't have to set everything up in plex again?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There are already many threads on how to separate out your data from a plex jail... Ideally you have it in an "apps" dataset in your pool and you mount that (and your media share(s)) in during setup of the fresh jail and presto, your library and media are ther just as you left it.

The Database will live by default in "/Plex Media Server" in the root of the jail (recent installs). Convention is to move that to a subdirectory of /config, mount your plex apps dataset there in the jail and run sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_support_path="/config" in the jail.

You will also need to think about permissions (which may need to be set on your now separate plex dataset).

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I don't I understand quite what you wrote. What I am asking is how I move all the custom configurations I have done inside my plex jail (custom covers for tv shows etc.) over so that I have to do everything over? If I try to update plex inside my currently jail it fails with this below:

Code:
File ‘/tmp/PlexMediaServer-1.21.2.3943-a91458577-FreeBSD-amd64.tar.bz2’ not modified on server. Omitting download.

Download Complete
Verifying /tmp/PlexMediaServer-1.21.2.3943-a91458577-FreeBSD-amd64.tar.bz2 .....Done
Removing previous PMS Backup .....Done.
Stopping Plex Media Server .....plexmediaserver_plexpass does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d), or is not executable
Done.
Moving current

sretalla