How to extend or remove the download time limit for apps on TrueNAS Scale Cobia?

Aden MGB

Dabbler
Hey everyone,

So I recently upgraded from TrueNAS scale Bluefin to TrueNAS Scale Cobia, and a part of the update was the replacement of docker for containerd, now on TrueNAS there is a time limit for when downloading docker images, now where I'm from here in Australia our download speed is 6/Mbps and for large images such as Qbittorrent it exceeds the limit. Now previously when docker was around I would head into the TrueNAS shell and type "sudo docker pull *image*" and that worked great. But now that docker is gone I cannot and is there a new command because ctr images pull doesn't work or is there a way to extend the deadline,

Thanks, Aden

haifisch

Dabbler
I have the same problem. Have you found a solution? I only updated to Cobia because TrueCharts is no longer supporting Bluefin and I could not update or install any apps. Now I still cannot upgrade or install apps because of this stupid timeout.

Last edited:

Aden MGB

Dabbler
I have the same problem. Have you found a solution? I only updated to Cobia because TrueCharts is no longer supporting Bluefin and I could not update or install any apps. Not I still cannot upgrade or install apps because of this stupid timeout.
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION

Similar to the way I used to get around it before there is a command to manually pull the images with no limit on time, one TrueNAS click System Settings, then shell, use the command "sudo k3s ctr images pull *image goes here*" and that should work! It's a shame it wasn't document anywhere though,

sincerely, Aden

Aden MGB

Dabbler
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION

Similar to the way I used to get around it before there is a command to manually pull the images with no limit on time, one TrueNAS click System Settings, then shell, use the command "sudo k3s ctr images pull *image goes here*" and that should work! It's a shame it wasn't document anywhere though,
funnily enough whenever i use that command it complains it cannot resolve the host :mad: so i cant use it

haifisch

Dabbler
I also get the error when trying to pull any image manually for example:

~# sudo k3s ctr images pull tccr.io/truecharts/uptime-kuma:v1.23.2
tccr.io/truecharts/uptime-kuma:v1.23.2: resolving |--------------------------------------|
elapsed: 21.2s total: 0.0 B (0.0 B/s)
INFO[0021] trying next host - response was http.StatusNotFound host=tccr.io
ctr: failed to resolve reference "tccr.io/truecharts/uptime-kuma:v1.23.2": tccr.io/truecharts/uptime-kuma:v1.23.2: not found

Anyway, I spent too much time trying to like TrueNAS in the last year or so and I had so many annoyances like this with Scale that I think I will move to something else. There is just too much fighting not only to set up something but to keep it running... I am afraid to move to Core because who know how long it will be supported and then all my time investment is going to waste again.

Davvo

MVP
I am afraid to move to Core because who know how long it will be supported and then all my time investment is going to waste again.
At least until end of 2024.

I am afraid to move to Core because who know how long it will be supported and then all my time investment is going to waste again.

You mean statements, such as the following, don't raise your confidence in the longterm prospects of the product?
No new features expected. We have no plans for a FreeBSD 14-based TrueNAS at this time, and the 13.1 release will be a longer-lived maintenance train for those who want to continue running on the BSD product before migrating to SCALE later at some later date.
( . . . ) I am giving the soft warning that the data is showing us that CORE will become non-viable at some point in the future. Without divulging too much, I can say that SCALE is seeing roughly a 5x growth rate compared to CORE and we don't see any reason for that trend to reverse. Being realistic about it, if somebody is just starting off with TrueNAS today, I'd highly recommend starting with SCALE since that's where the momentum is and is growing.

Go figure.

Davvo

MVP
If iX plans to abandon CORE and FreeBSD they should just state the fact and draw a clear line. There will be (non-paying) user recoil anyway, I don't think drawing things out will be of any benefit for them.

That's my personal prospective as a non-paying CORE user.

victort

Guru
If iX plans to abandon CORE and FreeBSD they should just state the fact and draw a clear line. There will be (non-paying) user recoil anyway, I don't think drawing things out will be of any benefit for them.

That's my personal prospective as a non-paying CORE user.
100% agree. I hate living in constant worry that I’ll have to move to some other FreeBSD based OS, as I absolutely love jails.

victort

Guru
The one thing that prevents me from going with SCALE is the disability to retain data (especially the database) when deleting and reinstalling apps.

Why it can’t be possible to mount all necessary data outside is a bit confusing to me, but oh well.

I know that there is the heavy script backup, but…jails, scripts, and mount points are awesome.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I'll be outa here when they drop FreeBSD. Period. Linux and Docker are a train wreck without any reasonable architecture. Not putting mission critical data on a system that doesn't even have a single modern reliable filesystem by default. Of yourse you can make ZFS work on Linux by brute force but why? Illumos and FreeBSD exist.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sun was where much of the good stuff came from.

Davvo

MVP
Linux and Docker are a train wreck without any reasonable architecture. Not putting mission critical data on a system that doesn't even have a single modern reliable filesystem by default. Of yourse you can make ZFS work on Linux by brute force but why? Illumos and FreeBSD exist.
Totally agree with this, and it sucks because I really like TrueNas and its community.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Illumos is a general purpose OS like FreeBSD. I do not know of any turnkey appliance built on top of it. So yes, you can run X11 or Wayland (probably) plus Gnome or KDE desktop but that is probably not what you meant :wink:

victort

Guru
Illumos is a general purpose OS like FreeBSD. I do not know of any turnkey appliance built on top of it. So yes, you can run X11 or Wayland (probably) plus Gnome or KDE desktop but that is probably not what you meant :wink:
Nah, I’m just looking to a NAS that can do ZFS, jails, run scripts, and so forth…

danb35

Hall of Famer

Aden MGB

Dabbler
um guys this doesn't help my problem