Help with dataset configuration

Z_Ema_46

Cadet
Hello guys,
today i'm experiencing some troubles configuring my TrueNAS.
I moved from a ReadyNAS to a Truenas yesterday and now i want to make dataset as it was in my old NAS.
All this because i got lots of links in my Desktop from files placed inside the NAS which i usually found in this kind of path "\\nas\SAVE-LCT\SAVE EMANUELE".
The trouble is that if i put "nas" as hostname and build a pool called "SAVE-LCT" i cant copy things inside the pool (since i got unauthorized warning when try to copy something there) and the only way to use the pool is to create a Dataset and then it works.
If i do this i wont be able to use my existent links anymore since the new path will be \\nas\SAVE-LCT\SAVE-LCT\SAVE EMANUELE".
How could i be able to create a path like i need it to be?
Thanks a lot for the support!

Davvo

MVP
I don't think you can. Iirc you can't edit root datasets (aka pools) permissions.

Morris

Contributor
To emulate that link, your NAS host name must be NAS
You need to create an SMB share named SAVE-LCT
Create a directory inside SAVE-LCT named SAVE EMANUELE
Create a user on the NAS with the same name as the one on the PC and on the NAS give that user RW or full access to the dataset the SAVE-LCT points to.

Z_Ema_46

Cadet
Thanks for reply me.
@Davvo it's such a shame you cant edit root permissions.
@Morris i'had tried and it works but the main problem is that i should create like 250 datasets in order to copy all of i had inmy old NAS.
I cant copy all my data inside the root pool since it's not a dataset as @Davvo said.
So bad situation, i saw that time ago FreeNAS was able to edit even that kind of permissions. :(

Morris

Contributor
When you create your pool, create a directory inside of it and point your SMB share to that directory. That will work. Hosts outside of your NAS don't know from the underlying structure. They only know the share and what is inside of it.

spuky

Explorer
you can create the dataset anywhere:

Host name must be nas data can reside anywhere

the //hostname/sharename

so your data could be in:

/mnt/cracypoolname/dataset/subdataset/data

and your share would be named SAVE-LCT

Windows/SMB Clients would see: //nas/SAVE-LCT