Help please - Corral to what/when (with Dockers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim1962

Patron
Hi I have been running Corral (happily) since before release and now (not so happily) waiting for a replacement. I have a fresh install of corral so nothing to roll back to. I don't really mind too much about losing data as its all mostly backups of backups but prefer not.

I have enjoyed the relative simplicity of Dockers, using Crashplan, Nextplan, and OpenProject on Docker. I also backup to Timemachine. SO I was waiting for FN11.Docker (!) but felt I was in a bit of a deadend and wishing to get things back into the mainstream. Unfortunately my Timemachine backup seems to have broken and this has increased the pressure to consider a wipe and restart.

I was considering FreeNAS, with a Linux VM with Dockers therein until Docker gets supported again>>?

I had hoped that IX or someone else would documented a "best current plan" for the various Corrall orphans (esp for Docker users) but particularly with the forum re-organisation I don't seem to be able to find any particularly for my situation. Apologies if I've missed it (perhaps thereis a value in a "Corral - What to do in these scenarios" sticky?? with pointers

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

danb35

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, I don't know nearly enough about Docker to suggest much of anything, but if any such information comes my way, I'll be sure to add it to the guide. It's basically the missing bullet point.
Well, there are a couple of extant guides for FN11 on installing RancherOS and Rancher/Portainer for Docker management, which would seem to get at least most of the way there. But the filesystem integration isn't going to work out.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Right, I guess I can mention those. I've updated the Resource accordingly.

danjng

Explorer
This is the de facto guide on getting rid of Corral:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ng-from-freenas-corral-to-freenas-9-10-11.36/

Unfortunately, I don't know nearly enough about Docker to suggest much of anything, but if any such information comes my way, I'll be sure to add it to the guide. It's basically the missing bullet point.
Maybe it's my mobile client, but that link brings me to some RAID discussion from 2011. Or maybe it's Tapatalk. Either way, thanks for creating and updating that guide! I'm in a similar position to OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Maybe it's my mobile client, but that link brings me to some RAID discussion from 2011. Or maybe it's Tapatalk. Either way, thanks for creating and updating that guide! I'm in a similar position to OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The link works fine for me. My guess is that tapatalk is being stupid and just taking the number from the link, which would naturally lead to the 50th thread on the forum, which is of little interest.

Tim1962

Patron
Thanks all, esp EricLoewe and danb35. Very helpful. I was looking around at Portainer/RancherOS, though the guides so far are stretching my confidence, not sure I am trailblazer enough for the minute.

Zwck

Patron
Late to the party.

What i did might also not be the best solution but worked for me just as good as before in corral. I only run low importance docker containers, such as couchpotato and rss server couple of databases and other "i dont mind if service is interrupted for a day" things.

I set up a quick ubuntu system with a docker-machine and used docker compose to set everything up. takes about 60 minutes of your time and runs quite smoothly. I mounted NFS shares to ubuntu and used it as persistent storage without problems. Some specific containers cannot handle this. For example i did run a mongoDB container from bitnami, which will not run on NFS storage, however if you just use the mongo/mongodb container it works fine.

The only tricky thing for me was, which might not be relevant for you at all, to set up a reverse proxy to deal with loadbalancing and ssl shit for some of my things.

Tim1962

Patron
Thanks, thats sort of what I was contemplating... few Q's
any reason for Ubuntu beyond familiarity?
Could you re-use your Corral disks and shares etc to get the host storage or did you start over?
Does anyone with better understanding know if this sort of set up would be transferrable going forward if Docker does eventually get incorporated officially in some similar way to Corral? (or would this arrangement be strictly temporary and burn afterwards?)

Zwck

Patron
So in Corral I basically saved everything persistently, configs and dbs, via mounts.
I had around 20 docker containers up.

When I moved to 9.10 I just had to mount the nfs shares with the same naming patterns and create docker run lines.

Which if it helps I can post mine when I come home from work.

I used ubuntu, because of familiarity. Currently I am playing with rancherOS.

Also, I thought the docker implementation in Corral was quite weak and I ran in a lot of problems with it, hence my 150 posts about all sorts of issues. At some point I just hosted all my dockers on a second ubuntu machine. To get familiar with docker in the command line, and noticed its much quicker and faster to write a one line of docker run hello-world than clicking through a gui.

Last edited:

Tim1962

Patron
Anything would be helpful!!! :)

Zwck

Patron

Tim1962

Patron
Many thanks. Weekend project or cut the lawn...

Status
Not open for further replies.