warden to iocage not until 11.2 - oh boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasmart

Dabbler
I am a long time FreeNAS user and have long said nothing after the corral fiasco, but seeing the full switch of warden to iocage has been moved to 11.2 on the roadmap, i just have to make the plea to the devs:

pleeease just at least start finishing the plugin situation and put other things aside (new interface!!, docker,...) to give us stranded on corral a way out.

after almost half a year of waiting i am faced with:

- stay on corral, less than ideal :(

- go back to 9.10, redo all dockers as warden plugins, pray that someday the warden to iocage script works or redo plugins again :(

- go to 11.1 now and as before, switch everything to warden, redo everything when iocage is finished :(

- go to 11.1 now, switch everything to unfinished iocage :(

-go to 11.1 now, use makeshift vm-docker solutions, probably redo everything soonish :(

...what a mess.

nevertheless I want to thank all devs and ixsystems. i am sure you are all working very hard, but i just had to get that out of my system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

nasmart

Dabbler
iocage replacement of warden:
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/20169

if i already have to redo all my docker stuff as jail plugin, i'd much prefer to do it with the new system than again apply some conversion script at some later time.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Iocage is working on 11.1. It's just the replacement of Warden that will happen in 11.2.

There's some information in the FreeNAS 11.1-beta1 manual

Code:
Beginning with FreeNAS® 9.10.1, the iocage (https://github.com/iocage/iocage) command line utility is included
for creating, and managing jails.

Note: The jails infrastructure is transitioning from the old warden backend to the new iocage backend.
This transition process requires the middleware API calls to be rewritten for the new UI. It is expected that
the transition will be complete with FreeNAS® version 11.2. Since jails created in the old UI use the warden
backend, jails created in the new UI use the iocage backend, and both use different API versions, they are
not compatible. While a migration script will be made available when the transition is complete, it will not
be able to anticipate every configuration scenario for every application installed in jails. At that time, the
recommendation will be to: create new jails using the new UI, copy over any existing con1gurations, and
delete the old jail datasets once the new jails are working as expected.

millst

Contributor
If jails are created with iocage from the command line on 11.1, will the middleware/UI pick them up automatically in 11.2?

-tm

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Read that note again. Iocage has been included since 9.10.1. The new GUI, starting with 11.1, uses iocage as its backend.

millst

Contributor
So "the transition will be complete with FreeNAS version 11.2" just means that the old GUI and warden will be removed, not that there is any iocage feature work remaining?

-tm

diskdiddler

Wizard
Iocage is working on 11.1. It's just the replacement of Warden that will happen in 11.2.
Hi Eric,

Can you translate what this actually means to the common layman? Sorry I'm trying to comprehend this thread.

Stux

MVP
Hi Eric,

Can you translate what this actually means to the common layman? Sorry I'm trying to comprehend this thread.

It means, use the new gui to make new jails, report bugs.

diskdiddler

Wizard
It means, use the new gui to make new jails, report bugs.
I thought I'd read in the past few months, of some kind of change to jails and plugins that might make plugins less painful to develop, was I imagining that?

I really want, long term, docker support - but right now, my box can't take running even a single, small VM - and therefore the RancherOS / docker solution may destroy my little server (she just can't take it)

So is a 'more compatible' plugin system coming with a wider variety?
Thank you.

It doesn't look like there's UI support yet for the iocage based plugins in 11.1-RC1, but you can get a preview from the command line:

The documentation on how to create your own plugin is currently slated for release 11.2

Code:
root@freenas:~ # iocage fetch --plugins ip4_addr="em0|192.168.1.10/24"
[0] BackupPC - BackupPC is a high-performance, enterprise-grade system for backing up Linux, WinXX and MacOSX PCs and laptops to a server's disk. (backuppc)
[1] bru-server - BRU Server™ Backup and Recovery Software by TOLIS Group, Inc. (bru-server)
[2] BitTorrent Sync - Resilient, fast and scalable file sync software for enterprises and individuals. (btsync)
[3] ClamAV - ClamAV® is an open source antivirus engine for detecting trojans, viruses, malware & other malicious threats. (clamav)
[4] CouchPotato - CouchPotato is an automatic NZB and torrent downloader. (couchpotato)
[5] Crashplan - Computer backup and data storage made simple. (crashplan)
[6] Deluge - Bittorrent client using Python, and libtorrent-rasterbar (deluge)
[7] Emby - Home media server built using mono and other open source technologies (emby)
[8] GitLab - Powerful features for modern software development (gitlab)
[9] Jenkins - Jenkins CI (jenkins)
[10] Jenkins (LTS) - Jenkins CI (Long Term Support Version) (jenkins-lts)
[11] MadSonic - Open-source web-based media streamer and jukebox. (madsonic)
[12] NextCloud - Access, share and protect your files, calendars, contacts, communication & more at home and in your enterprise. (nextcloud)
[13] Plex Media Server - The Plex media server system (plexmediaserver)
[14] Plex Media Server (PlexPass) - The Plex media server system (plexmediaserver-plexpass)
[15] Quasselcore - Quassel Core is a daemon/headless IRC client, part of Quassel, that supports 24/7 connectivity. Quassel Client can be attached to it to. (quasselcore)
[16] Redmine - Redmine is a flexible project management web application written using Ruby on Rails framework. (redmine)
[17] SickRage - Automatic Video Library Manager for TV Shows (sickrage)
[18] Sonarr - PVR for Usenet and BitTorrent users (sonarr)
[19] SubSonic - Open-source web-based media streamer and jukebox. (subsonic)
[20] Syncthing - Personal cloud sync (syncthing)
[21] Tarsnap - Online encrypted backup service (client) (tarsnap)
[22] Transmission - Fast and lightweight daemon BitTorrent client (transmission)

Type the number of the desired plugin
Press [Enter] or type EXIT to quit:

SavageAUS

Patron
If you test the nightly train the iocage plugin system is implemented, unsure how ready it is but it works, except for transmission.

ChrisUK1978

Dabbler
Hi,

Thanks and great work on FreeNAS!

I've noted today that it appears that the Warden -> Iocage replacement has slipped from 11.2 to 11.3: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/20169

I have a failing system based on Warden that I want to replace with a new machine. If I create Iocage jails in at the command line at 11.1 will they be picked up and manageable via the GUI at 11.2/11.3 (whenever this functionality is finalised)?

All best,
Chris.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If I create Iocage jails in at the command line at 11.1 will they be picked up and manageable via the GUI at 11.2/11.3
They already are.

SlackerDude

Explorer
lol... I guess we (me) of the "Chicken Little" club will continue plucking along on v9.10.2U6 until a solid migration from Warden-based jails is made available. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I have great respect for the devs and the work being done and for what has already been accomplished.

rungekutta

Contributor
Move virtualisation to ESXi instead and leave FreeNAS to focus on what it does best (as the name implies)? Also with greatest respect to iXsystems, but Christ what a mess this seems in comparison and I have no idea why you would do that to yourself.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Move virtualisation to ESXi instead and leave FreeNAS to focus on what it does best (as the name implies)? Also with greatest respect to iXsystems, but Christ what a mess this seems in comparison and I have no idea why you would do that to yourself.

Freebsd seems to be pretty robust. If you've got adequate, quality hardware, why not do it with FreeNAs?

rungekutta

Contributor
Agreed FreeBSD extremely robust and with great ZFS support too so ideal for NAS. As for virtualisation I’m less convinced and as far as its implementation in FreeNAS I think the discussion above is pretty telling (if focussing more on plugins than VMs).

I experimented some myself under 9.10 and after some issues was recommended to enable VIMAGE, problems continued and I noticed in the FreeBSD documentation VIMAGE itself was labelled “highly experimental”. That sealed it for me and I haven’t looked back since moving to ESXi (and my NAS is rock solid). I understand it works for some which is great, personally I struggle to see the rationale though. Seems at odds with the reputation for robustness in all other aspects of FreeNAS as a NAS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
As for virtualisation I’m less convinced and as far as its implementation in FreeNAS I think the discussion above is pretty telling (if focussing more on plugins than VMs).
The discussion above has nothing whatsoever to do with virtualization, and neither does your anecdote--it's all dealing with jails, which are a different animal entirely, and in general are quite solid. Though there have been some quirks noted with VIMAGE.

Status
Not open for further replies.