warden to iocage not until 11.2 - oh boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rungekutta

Contributor
Fair enough but semantics I'd argue and if you're going to be picky I'll play ;-)

From the FreeBSD documentation (https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails.html)

"Jails improve on the concept of the traditional chroot environment in several ways. In a traditional chroot environment, processes are only limited in the part of the file system they can access. The rest of the system resources, system users, running processes, and the networking subsystem are shared by the chrooted processes and the processes of the host system. Jails expand this model by virtualizing access to the file system, the set of users, and the networking subsystem. More fine-grained controls are available for tuning the access of a jailed environment. Jails can be considered as a type of operating system-level virtualization."

Iocage docs (http://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faq.html):

"What is iocage?
iocage is a jail management program designed to simplify jail administration tasks.
What is a jail?
A Jail is a FreeBSD OS virtualization technology allowing users to run multiple copies of the operating system. Some operating systems use the term Zones or Containers for OS virtualization."

Anyway I'll go back to my corner. ;-)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
OS virtualization, not hardware virtualization.

It may seem like a trivial distinction, but it is not. The former presents the same interface it presents to a regular process, which is free, open source and properly documented and induces little overhead.

The latter presents an interface based on mixture of abstract concepts and reverse-engineered hardware, all of a very closed nature. It also has a lot more overhead, as it is a very complex task.

rungekutta

Contributor
Hey @Ericloewe, understand that and don't disagree - several other types of virtualization possible too. However what I was responding to was this;

The discussion above has nothing whatsoever to do with virtualization, and neither does your anecdote--it's all dealing with jails, which are a different animal entirely, and in general are quite solid. Though there have been some quirks noted with VIMAGE.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Fair enough but semantics I'd argue and if you're going to be picky I'll play ;-)
I don't think it is semantics. As @Ericloewe pointed out, OS virtualization is very different from hardware virtualization--if you're grouping them both together under the general heading of "virtualization", then I misunderstood what you were saying. But in that case, I'd have to disagree with what you were saying--as I noted, jails have been quite solid, with the only exception I can think of being some strangeness surrounding VIMAGE.

rungekutta

Contributor
Indeed they are all types of virtualization as is bhyve and docker. Anyway it’s great that jails in FreeNAS works well for some/many, long may that continue for those who consider it the best solution for them. YMMV.

murphys_law

Dabbler
lol... I guess we (me) of the "Chicken Little" club will continue plucking along on v9.10.2U6 until a solid migration from Warden-based jails is made available. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I have great respect for the devs and the work being done and for what has already been accomplished.
I'm with you. The jails and plugins I currently use are a very big part of the reason why I fell in love with freeNAS.

Berend de Boer

Dabbler
Suggestion: instead of using iocage to list the jails, please use jls, that way every kind of jail shows up, even though it may not be manageable.

Last edited by a moderator:

diskdiddler

Wizard
Will warden ones still work in 11.2, just can't create more?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Warden is still as functional as before in 11.2, in the old GUI, which has been relegated to secondary - the new GUI is the default now.

Alecmascot

Guru
Warden is still as functional as before in 11.2, in the old GUI, which has been relegated to secondary - the new GUI is the default now.
Ah, so the old gui will still be useable with 11.2 ? I thought it might have been removed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Nope, just relegated to not-default.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Thank god for that,.......

fracai

Guru
how are warden jails going to be handled with 11.2?
Presuming the conversion script is available, will that be automatic? Or will warden jails still be functional in 11.2 under the old GUI and there will be a shiny button in the new GUI that allows converting one or all jails to iocage?

Alecmascot

Guru
11.2 must not do an automatic conversion........

diskdiddler

Wizard
Will an iocage jail UI / toolbox be available to the old UI?

Or will it be iocage and warden UI available in FreeNAS 11.2 new UI
And only old warden in the old UI ?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

diskdiddler

Wizard
I've seen the new GUI, I sure hope the old GUIs legs are strong then,....................

bestboy

Contributor
We soon need a proper update path for the old jails.

/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

*** Error code 1

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

bestboy

Contributor
Manually recreating all warden jails with iocage is not what I consider a proper update path.

Status
Not open for further replies.