Solved Dockers, but Moving to FN11 and Jails for Plex - Help with data folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzaj

Explorer
So I spent quite a bit of time on Corral and figuring out dockers, etc. Unfortunately the system is just to unstable and I figure now is as good a time as any to move on to FN11 and the first app I am tackling in Plex. I am getting confused with how to configure data locations etc.

Jails root folder -> (mnt/jails)

I started by creating a Jails volume -> apps dataset -> plex dataset (mnt/jails/apps/plexjail)

Then I created a Jail called plex which of course created a dataset? called plex in the the Jails root (mnt/jails/plex)

As I did with Dockers in Corral, my plan was to have a dataset per app to store the application data. Do I need to add storage to the jail pointed to (mnt/jails/apps/plexjail)? If so what would the associated Plex folder be for all of the data settings, etc.

Thank you.

I think you're way overthinking it all.

First of all your jails dataset should be put either onto a drive that is dedicated to the jails or on to your pool. So lets say you named your pool "tank"

You would then likely have a dataset in something like /mnt/tank/jails/

Once that dataset is created you go into the FreeNAS jail configuration UI and select that dataset as the place to put your jails. Once that is done you will create a new jail and name it. The corresponding dataset for the jail will be created automatically and then you can ssh into the FreeNAS and type "jls" to find the correct jail number and then jexec into that jail and begin your setup. No need to manually create a dataset for each jail and yes it is a dataset that you can snapshot on it's own.

Once Plex is installed you will then go back to the jail UI in FreeNAS and click on the storage tab, add the storage to the jail in question and it would be best to place the mount points into something like
/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/Plex Media Server/Media/Movies/ if using the plexpass version or
/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media/Movies/

After that just add the folder into plex and let it run.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I started by creating a Jails volume -> apps dataset -> plex dataset (mnt/jails/apps/plexjail)
Huh? Why? Create the jails dataset, set the jail root to that, create your jail. If you really want all your jails to be on their own pool, I guess you can, though I don't know why you would--in that case you'd just set the jail root to /mnt/jails.

Edit: You don't typically mount storage to a jail to be used for its configuration files and things like the Plex metadata. You would mount storage for things like the media you'd be using Plex with. Suggest reading the manual's section on jails.

bigzaj

Explorer
Well I think I have it mostly figured out. I created a dataset for the jails root and set it in the jails configuration: /mnt/ssd/jails

Created a jail and installed plex: /mnt/ssd/jails/plex

I also created a dataset for the appdata: /mnt/ssd/apps

For plex I pointed the /usr/local/plexdata to /mnt/ssd/apps/plex to hopefully keep all of the configuration data separate

danb35

Hall of Famer
For plex I pointed the /usr/local/plexdata to /mnt/ssd/apps/plex to hopefully keep all of the configuration data separate
That's a valid, but unusual, configuration. Why don't you want the Plex metadata in the jail?

bigzaj

Explorer
I want to be able to migrate to docker or destroy / recreate jail as necessary so I figure keeping the metadata separate will make that easier

Status
Not open for further replies.