Help Choosing hardware for TrueNAS

windtorm

Cadet
Hi everyone.
I am happy to be part of your community

I am new and want to build new TrueNAS Scale for home use.
*Low energy consumption (if possible)

My use will be
  • Media storage
  • Pc & Smartphones Backup
  • Cloud Backup
  • Linux VM
  • Torrent
  • Storge
  • home assistant
  • plex

Hardware
  • Case: Fractal Node 804
  • HDDs: 40T

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it

Davvo

MVP
Welcome to TrueNAS!
To start I suggest you reading the following resources in order to gain a basic understanding about how ZFS works.

Then I suggest you to look at the Hardware Reccomendation Guide:

Now, it is my opinion that given your needs it will be hard to build a system around low power consumption since:
A) given your listed uses, it will be hard to reach deep C states;
B) given the amount of space you listed (40TB) you will have quite a few drives.

Now, I would really like to specify what do you mean by that HDDs: 40TB. Please specify how many HDDs you have, their model and their sizes.

You will need at least a pair of SSDs for your Apps and VM pool alongside your storage pool.
Without knowing how many HDDs you have it will be difficult to suggest you a motherboard since you want to use its sata ports and not use an HBA (since afaik they don't like to go to deep C states).

windtorm

Cadet
Welcome to TrueNAS!
To start I suggest you reading the following resources in order to gain a basic understanding about how ZFS works.

Then I suggest you to look at the Hardware Reccomendation Guide:

Now, it is my opinion that given your needs it will be hard to build a system around low power consumption since:
A) given your listed uses, it will be hard to reach deep C states;
B) given the amount of space you listed (40TB) you will have quite a few drives.

Now, I would really like to specify what do you mean by that HDDs: 40TB. Please specify how many HDDs you have, their model and their sizes.

You will need at least a pair of SSDs for your Apps and VM pool alongside your storage pool.
Without knowing how many HDDs you have it will be difficult to suggest you a motherboard since you want to use its sata ports and not use an HBA (since afaik they don't like to go to deep C states).
thank you for your replay

Low energy consumption is optional so I can build without

HDDs: 6 X 10T = 4 storge +2 backup
SSDs: 2

Davvo

MVP
You need 6 (HDDs) + 2 (SSDs) + 1 (boot SSD) at the very least. You will need an hba, so pleas read the following resource (as well as the second I linked you in my previous post).

An used X11SSL-F could do the job, probably with an i3 and at least 32GB of ECC memory.
If you need to transcode with plex things might be different though. I am no expert for that.

EDIT:
A 6 wide RAIDZ2 is a good option for your storage (HDDs) pool layout, and you should go with mirror for the apps/vm one.
You also want to make sure you have a proper PSU, see the resource below.

Make sure your hard drives are not SMR but CMR. You want CMR. Also, try to use lower RPM ones if you can.

Last edited:

windtorm

Cadet
You need 6 (HDDs) + 2 (SSDs) + 1 (boot SSD) at the very least. You will need an hba, so pleas read the following resource (as well as the second I linked you in my previous post).

An used X11SSL-F could do the job, probably with an i3 and at least 32GB of ECC memory.
thank you for your replay

Davvo

MVP
As a side note, 6x10TB in RAIDZ2 will give you 30.96 TB of usable space (80% of total space). For reference, I used this calculator.

Davvo

MVP
With a X11SSH-F you wouldn't need the HBA since you would have 8 SATA ports (6 HDDs + 2 SDDs) and a M2 slot for the boot pool. This should help you to save more energy.