Hardware suggestion

patronmaster

Cadet
Hi Experts,

I'm going to build/buy my first NAS.
I tested TRUENAS, TRUENAS SCALING and Synology software. And what I liked the most was TRUENAS SCALING but it becomes more difficult due knowing what hardware we need to use.

I'm going to use NAS few times per week. I want something that consumes little energy but sometimes can process some information quickly. I noticed we can hibernate TrueNas (during the night for me is ok and this will reduce the average consumption per day).

I will use NAS for:
  • As a media center (5 hours per week)
  • Backup of photos, videos and documents (I need at least 5TB), I am thinking raid 5 (3 hard drives of 5TB).
  • 2 or 3 docker applications created by me to be used only by me (requires some memory about 8 gb for 1 hour per week). I am thinking ssd (1 TB will be enough) for the docker apps.
  • A database (mariadb to be used by applications).
  • Jenkins for some jobs with selenium (runs some jobs 1 or 2 times per week).
  • Some scripts (cronjobs) BASH (runs some scripts 1 or 2 times per week).

I do not have any hardware with exception this old cpu i7 2700k and 32GB memory compatible with this cpu from old PC.

My hardware knowledge is very limited, so what I'm going to do is go to a store and ask to build a PC with a build suggestion.
My goal is having something can be turn on most of time with less energy cost possible (for me it is fine when I request a service it takes 1 minute if it is in a sleep state, idle, or something similar). If it consumes less than 36KW per month it is great for me.

I already check hardware guide but for me is Chinese.

Any build suggestions you've made that I can copy for myself?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Please have a look at the recommended readings in my signature. If you feel that this is too steep a learning curve, I would probably recommend that you also check Synology, QNAP, or another NAS vendor.

TrueNAS is a wonderful system, but you pay a "price" for it being available without a license fee. And to be clear: TrueNAS is such a powerful software, that in comparable areas you would pay at least 50 k USD/EUR for the software alone. In other words: Free is a relative term.

patronmaster

Cadet
Thanks maybe will be better, I do not want spend my time in learning hardware.
I noticed that is already some solution like truenas mini but it seems only in USA.