First time NAS build

EAOP

Dabbler
Hi,

First time poster, first time NAS builder - with a need for help...

My current set up

Server #1 (Dell Poweredge R220) - Ubuntu server and Docker containers running: Home assistant, Logitech Media Server, Pi Hole, ZWave to MQTT, MQTT broker, etc etc -> Slow but stable
Rack mounted in garage
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz, 2 cores (4 threads)
24 GB RAM

Server #2 (Dell Optiplex 3080) - Ubunto server and Docker containers running: Plex server, Minecraft server, Handbrake -> For GPU/CPU intensive stuff
Rack mounted in garage
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10500 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 6 cores (12 threads)
16 GB RAM

Server 3# Intel NUC - Ubunto server and Docker containers running: Pi Hole (#2), Zigbee2MQTT -> Centrally placed for good zigbee coverage.
In a cupboard on the main floor.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2 cores (4 threads)
8 GB RAM

NAS #1 - (QNAP TS-469U-RP) (4x3Tb, Raid 5)- Stores UHD media (NFS server, Samba server, Rsync client)
Rack mounted in garage.

NAS #2 - (Synology 1812+) (6x4Tb + 1x3TB, Synology Raid) - Stores HD media, photos, personal files etc (NFS server, Samba server, Rsync client)
On a shelf in the rack, in the garage.

NAS #3 - QNAP, 5-bay, Rsync server, boots up once per week for back up from NAS#1 and NAS #2
In a spare room, next to the garage.

NAS #4 - QNAP, 4-bay, Rsync server, boots up once per week for back up from NAS#1 and NAS #2
In a spare room, next to the garage.

My plan for the future...

I have seen the light, and I have also stumbled across a deal to good to say no too...
Or not - at least I bought two identical old 4U Tyan chassis för around 160 USD.
These I have gutted. They each can easly be fitted with ten 3.5" HDD after I buy some HDD cages.

I hope too equip the two 4U chassis identically, and have NAS #1 as my main NAS, and NAS #2 as back up for NAS #1.

I intend to use the HDD:s I already have (mostly WD40EFRX) and sell off the Synology and Qnaps.
I also have two Samsung EVO 250 Gb 2.5" SSD:s I intend to use for OS/boot.

As you can see I already have plenty of toys for other stuff, so I'm really only looking for the NAS functionality (NFS, Samba, Back up) - nothing else really.

My use case

- I have based this list of the very well written and thourough "Hardware 2021 R2a.pdf" document.
- I'm cost conscious, so I prefer buying used parts when possible / viable.
- Noise is not a problem, but If possible a lower energy consumption is nice.
- I'm aiming at around 32 Tb per NAS (before ZFS/ZRAID kicks in and "shrinks" it) and this is done with 8-10 HDD:s per NAS.
- The system doesn't have to be blazing fast, I prefer slower but stable.
- Living in Sweden, I'm pretty much stuck to find used parts on ebay (mostly German sellers)

My need for help

So HDD:s and chassis I have, but I would gratefully ask for your kind assistance in "ok:ing" my suggested shopping list, before I order the wrong stuff (for two NAS:es...)

My shopping list (per NAS)...

Motherboard : Supermicro X11SSL-F (X11SSM-F would have been nice, but I can't find any on Ebay in Europe). - Used
CPU : Intel Intel Pentium G4600 (or Intel Pentium G4400 if I can't find that used on Ebay). - Used
RAM : 32 Gb of ECC UDIMMs (4x8 or 2x16, depending on what I find used on Ebay). - Used
HDD Cage : Two that hold five 3.5" HDDs each. - New
Chassi fans, front mounted : 2 x 120 mm PWM, pulling air in and dragging air through the HDD:s. - New
Chassi fans, rear mounted : 2 x 80 mm, sucking air out of the chassi. - New
CPU-cooler : One the blows the hot air towards the back of the chassi, not straight up (like a stock cooler does). - New
PSU : Corsair RM 650 Watt.- New
Additional SATA/SAS connectivity : I see a lot of "LSI 9207-8i (IBM M5110)" from China on Ebay for around 35 USD - are these legit? - New

Do you see anything glaringly wrong in my shopping list (given my use case)?
Do I need a VGA-monitor to complete the set up? I don't own one...Will IPMI save me?

Thank you for having read all this!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do I need a VGA-monitor to complete the set up? I don't own one...Will IPMI save me?
IPMI should do what you need, and I'm pretty sure the X11 boards give you a HTML5 KVM rather than the Java nonsense of some of the earlier boards. I'm not sure if you'll be able to mount the installer ISO over the network, but it should certainly give you a virtual console.

IPMI should do what you need, and I'm pretty sure the X11 boards give you a HTML5 KVM rather than the Java nonsense of some of the earlier boards. I'm not sure if you'll be able to mount the installer ISO over the network, but it should certainly give you a virtual console.
Unfortunately, SuperMicros IPMI can still make your head ache.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, SuperMicros IPMI can still make your head ache.

I thought I'd remembered seeing that. Kind of funny that HPE can do virtual media over HTML5--it's slow as molasses in January on a Microserver Gen8, but it still works--and on a Gen10+, it's pretty snappy. I can get IPMI on my X9 working under Chrome on Windows--so much for Java being cross-platform.

So in that case, OP still needs to burn the ISO to a USB stick or CD, but can have the console over IPMI.

EAOP

Dabbler
So in that case, OP still needs to burn the ISO to a USB stick or CD, but can have the console over IPMI.

Ok, thanks. Yes, this was my intention, to install from a USB stick. Hopefully without a monitor, but we shall see...

I aim to run my NAS:es headless anyway, so I'd hate to have to buy/borrow an old monitor with VGA, just to use it during the installation process...