Rebuilding my old X99 workstation/gaming system into a NAS/VM/Plex server

Abaddon

Cadet
Hello all,

I am building my first NAS/VM/Plex server using an old workstation/gaming PC with the following system specifications:

• Motherboard: Asus x99 deluxe
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K
  • RAM: 64 GB (unknown speed)
  • GPU: EVGA 1660TI
  • SSD: 500 GB Samsung Evo
  • HDD: 1 TB Western Digital Blue
I am planning to replace the hard drive with four 10 TB Western Digital Red Pro drives, with one set aside for redundancy in a RAIDZ1 configuration. The 500 GB Samsung Evo SSD will be used as the operating system drive. I am also considering using the Asus HYPER M.2 X16 CARD V2 with four Crucial P3 1 TB Gen3 M.2 SSDs in a mirrored configuration, giving me 2 TB of usable space and 2 TB of redundancy. This setup will be used as a NAS/Plex server with the ability to run some VMs and Docker containers. Do you have any recommendations or changes you would suggest for this setup?

Thanks for any insight!

dxun

Explorer
A few thoughts off-the-cuff:
  • if this is going to be a 24/7 system, ECC RAM is a must
    • even if it won't be expected to be up 24/7, there will always be a chance of subtle failures creeping by as scrub won't be able to detect RAM errors
    • if you choose to go with ECC, it will mean a different CPU (E5-16xx/E5-26xx v3/v4) and new RAM (it doesn't have to be faster than DDR4-2400, though)
      • both of these are relatively cheap - on fleaBay, the CPU for this configuration is going to be in the range 20-150 USD and 64 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM can be found for 50-150 USD (depending on the RAM type and seller)
      • check motherboard compabitility with these CPUs
  • for HDDs you might want to consider looking for a SAS2008 or 2308 HBA controller (TrueNAS should work ok with Wellsburg PCH but I don't have hard data to support this expectation)
  • RAID-Z1 level of redundancy is no longer recommended, especially with 10 TB drives and doubly so with non-enterprise HDDs (check the WD Red Pro spec and its BER [bit error rate] rating - anything below 1-in-10^15 means a fairly high chance of read errors during re-silvers with such high-capacity hard drives)
    • suggest trying to aim for RAID-Z2
    • for filer duties and sequential reads/writes, RAID-Zx are fine, but don't run any IOPS-intensive workloads against it (i.e. random read/writes)
  • you'll probably want a mirrored boot SSDs
  • the Hyper card ought to work fine, providing the board does the bifurcation correctly
Question: you mention running VMs and Docker containers - I assume you will be running these on TrueNAS Scale?
Also, make sure the motherboard implements the Intel VT-d correctly as without it, virtualisation performance will be poor at best (or VMs won't be able to run, at worst).
Additionally, make sure motherboard implements SR-IOV correctly if you're considering GPU passthrough to a Docker container or VM (e.g. for transcoding purposes).

EDIT: attached WD's spec - if you're running RAID-Z1 with these drives (and if the data can't be reconstructed easily), I'd make sure I have a very good backup/restore strategy.

1672341136759.png

Last edited: