Planned Build...Check my parts list and plan

Astraea

Dabbler
I am working on the shopping list for my new system build and wanted to get some feedback not only on the parts selected but how I intend to configure the system to make sure it will function as I am planning. My goal is to build a single system that uses Proxmox to run three virtual machines, the first will be a Windows gaming machine the other will be a Linux workstation and the third will be a TrueNAS machine.

Here is my parts list:

1 x AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
1 x ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
2 x HyperX Fury 32GB DDR4 Kit (64 GB total)
1 x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
1 x Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
1 x Corsair Axi Series AX1600i
2 x Samsung EVO 250GB 3.5” SSD
2 x Samsung 980 250GB M.2 SSD
4 x Seagate 4TB IronWolf NAS HDD
1 x Fractal Design Celsius S36 CPU Cooler
1 x GeForce GT 1030 2GB
1 x GeForce GT 710 1GB

The current plan is to use PCI-E pass-through to assign the 3080 as well as assign 3 of the USB 3.0 ports to the gaming machine and also assigning 1 of the m.2 disks to this machine. Then assign the 1030 as well as 3 of the USB 3.0 ports to the Linux workstation and the second m.2 disk as well. The 4 IronWolf drives will be assigned to the TrueNAS machine using either direct disk pass-through or adding a PCI-e card and passing the entire card through to TrueNAS. The remaining USB 3.0 ports will be left for use by Proxmox or TrueNAS as needed and the 2 USB-C ports will be split between the gaming and workstation machines. The 2 3.5” SSDs will be setup in a ZFS mirror for Proxmox as the OS drives and will also hold the OS disk for TrueNAS. The memory will be divided up between the three machines and Proxmox based on the following plan, 20 GB to Windows, 20 GB to Linux, 20 GB to TrueNAS, and 4 GB left for Proxmox.

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
No ECC RAM = no recommendation
Only 32GB for essentially 3 systems? .. just from a "Gaming PC" perspective .. You are going to want at least 16GB ..
TrueNAS likes RAM .. so at least 16GB for it
Linux likes RAM too ...

Astraea

Dabbler
I miss typed the ram allocations as I plan for 64GB totally system memory and will look into the cost of getting ECC instead.