Hardware suggestion

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Thanks for the suggestions. I see it has 2 core 4 threads and 4 SATA3. Since I am going to run Truenas on it as well as a ubuntu server as VM on it, would it be a bit underpowered? Also this board seems to pack lots of functionality that I don't seem to know how to use these...

Thanks to the HBA, that board can handle 20 SATA connections at once. 2 of them are SATADOMS, which can allow you to run your boot disks right off the motherboard.

If you’re into VMs or the like, then more cores likely makes sense. You could order the next size up, which uses the D1537, at a slower clock speed but with additional cores to play with.

However, for your case it might make more sense to go with a removable CPU rather than an embedded model. That way you can tailor the CPU to your needs.

I like to plan for the future which is why I went for a motherboard with on board SFP+, a PCI 3.0x4 m2 connector, a msata slot, and two full-sized 3.0x8 PCIe slots. That combination is basically future-proof for my use case. The m2 connector is perfect for a SLOG, the msata for a L2ARC, Etc.

I’d have a look around here for more context. For example, some folk swear by having an IPMI interface on their motherboards to allow easier remote management. I’m a fan of SATADOMs and L2ARC for my use case. Etc.

dak180

Patron
I don't have any older AMD cpu, can this motherboard do a bios upgrade without a cpu?
One of the nice things about true server boards with a BMC is that you can do stuff like that without even having to turn on the main power.

adfafd

Dabbler
@adfafd - No, you don't need to worry about the "On Linux system doesn't support Raid mode". This is a good thing, as ZFS handles the RAID functions. No, it will not affect TrueNAS. Just make sure the BIOS is in non-RAID mode for the SATA ports.
Then its a nice board. However, I do see people complain this board doesn't come with the needed bios to support Ryzen 5000. And the review of this board doesn't seems too promising.. They said it will block the memory slot... And the upgraded version of this board, X570D4U, cost like $450...

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Have you looked at used enterprise gear? An X9 or X10 board from Supermicro would be a good starting point. And since you are based in the US, it shouldn't be too difficult to get one. These boards may look old to the private person, but are more than capable to run what you described.

As an example: I built my new NAS in September 2020 with an X9SRi-F and a 4-core Xeon (details in my signature). The CPU is basically sitting idle.

dak180

Patron