HDD temperatures - how critical are they... really?

TheColin21

Dabbler
Hi,
I recently switched from a WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra to a self-built NAS.

Hardware is the following:
Ryzen 2200G
2x8GB DDR4-3200
ASUS Prime B450M-K II
Patriot M.2 P300 128GB boot SSD
2xTOSHIBA_MG09ACA18TE 18TB HDD (in a ZFS mirror)
1x80mm Noctua NF-A8 PWM fan in the back of the case
1x90mm Noctua NF-A9 FLX fan on the side pannel

Both fans pull air in (and push it out the front cooling the HDDs). Or at least I hoped they would.
The rear fan is controlled by the CPU temp, the side fan is running with a low noise adapter directly from the PSU to keep the HDDs cool.

In theory I thought this was a good setup but my HDD temps are basically never under 40°C, often above 45°C and sometimes even touch 50°C.

My question is: how bad is that really?
I know that the drives would probably be happier sitting at 20-30°C but I really don't have a lot of space for a bigger case with more/bigger fans and the NAS currently sits between two shelves so there isn't really a lot of fresh air around it.
Also I really wouldn't like having the fans constantly spinning any louder if I can help it...

Is it probable that the drives will fail much earlier this way?

Best regards

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My question is: how bad is that really?
I know that the drives would probably be happier sitting at 20-30°C but I really don't have a lot of space for a bigger case with more/bigger fans and the NAS currently sits between two shelves so there isn't really a lot of fresh air around it.
Also I really wouldn't like having the fans constantly spinning any louder if I can help it...

Is it probable that the drives will fail much earlier this way?

There is a school of thought in the data center community that suggests HDD's that run at a constant temperature may not be as susceptible to failure as once thought, even if that temperature is relatively high. I don't have a link handy right now. Many manufacturers spec their drives to run as high as 60'C, so it may not be a total catastrophe. On the other hand, drives are a fickle thing, so running your drives unnecessarily warm may not be a great idea.

TheColin21

Dabbler
Okay so you're basically saying it's not great but not terrible either probably?

joeschmuck

Old Man
1x80mm Noctua NF-A8 PWM fan in the back of the case
1x90mm Noctua NF-A9 FLX fan on the side pannel
I was unable to locate a picture on the internet of that case with a pair of drives installed so I'm not sure what the best fan placement is, but you want to have airflow across the hard drives. This might mean you need to make all the fans exhaust. You might need to tape up holes around the case to promote good airflow. But if you do change the fan air flow direction, keep an eye on the CPU temps. If you do it properly you should be able to force the air where you want it to go.

If you have the rear fan exhausting and the side fan pushing air into the case, the hard drive air flow is likely minimal as you are putting air in at the side rear of the case and then sucking it right out the rear fan, it does not force air across the hard drives. If both fans are exhausting then air flow comes in from the front of the case and goes across the hard drives and out the case.

NAS currently sits between two shelves so there isn't really a lot of fresh air around it.
Yes, not ideal but if you can help the airflow then the drives should become cooler.
Okay so you're basically saying it's not great but not terrible either probably?
The drives are rated for up to 60C operation according to the data spec sheet, which means that the warranty is likely void once the drives record a maximum temperature above 60C. I personally do not like to go over 45C but that is my personal preference.

TheColin21

Dabbler
If you have the rear fan exhausting and the side fan pushing air into the case, the hard drive air flow is likely minimal as you are putting air in at the side rear of the case and then sucking it right out the rear fan, it does not force air across the hard drives. If both fans are exhausting then air flow comes in from the front of the case and goes across the hard drives and out the case.
Currently both fans are pulling air in. Maybe I should really close up all other holes but the ones in the front "behind" the drives. I think it shouldn't make a great difference (cooling-wise) if the fans both push or pull as long as the air moves where I want it to. I just use them both to pull so the front vantilation holes don't dust up very quickly as it is really near the ground. Or does the airflow direction have any other impact?

The drives are rated for up to 60C operation according to the data spec sheet, which means that the warranty is likely void once the drives record a maximum temperature above 60C. I personally do not like to go over 45C but that is my personal preference.
Is there actually like a S.M.A.R.T. parameter or something similar recording the max temperature the drive was operated at and would a one time spike in temperature actually void warranty?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is there actually like a S.M.A.R.T. parameter or something similar recording the max temperature the drive was operated at and would a one time spike in temperature actually void warranty?
Yes, one spike would void the warranty. Yes there is a command. From the command line type smartctl -x /dev/ada0 assuming ada0 is one of the drive id's. You will need to scroll down towards the bottom of the data, look for Lifetime Min/Max Temperature.

Also, I just looked at this specific drive model SMART data. Below is data form this drive model. And I may have been wrong with the 60C because according to this drive data, 55C is the maximum recommended operating but 70C is the max. I'm pretty sure that if you go over 55C operating that the warranty is void. Also you can see the Power Cycle Min/Max temps and the Current Temp.

Code:
SCT Status Version:                  3
SCT Version (vendor specific):       1 (0x0001)
Device State:                        Active (0)
Current Temperature:                    25 Celsius
Power Cycle Min/Max Temperature:     14/35 Celsius
Lifetime    Min/Max Temperature:     11/35 Celsius
Specified Max Operating Temperature:    55 Celsius
Under/Over Temperature Limit Count:   0/0
SMART Status:                        0xc24f (PASSED)
Vendor specific:
00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

SCT Temperature History Version:     2
Temperature Sampling Period:         1 minute
Temperature Logging Interval:        1 minute
Min/Max recommended Temperature:      5/55 Celsius
Min/Max Temperature Limit:           -40/70 Celsius
Temperature History Size (Index):    478 (142)

As for air flow, if all your fans are blowing air out of the case, I think you will have cooler drive temps. I would try that first, then if needed, cover up any case holes with some tape to promote air flow as you desire it.

Good Luck!

And I may have been wrong with the 60C because according to this drive data, 55C is the maximum recommended operating but 70C is the max.
Yippee! My WD Red Pluses all have a maximum recommended limit of 65C. :cool:

Looks like I can remove the fans since I don't need to worry about exceeding the limit anymore.

NickF

Guru
Code:
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Grown defects during certification <not available>
Total blocks reassigned during format <not available>
Total new blocks reassigned <not available>
Power on minutes since format <not available>
Current Drive Temperature:     40 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        85 C

My HGST helium 10TB SAS drives say the maximum temp is 85. I am not sure what happens when they trip, though.

TheColin21

Dabbler
thanks that looks highly interesting. I'll thoroughly read it soon. From scanning over the first one it looks though, as if my temps weren't even that bad.

Yes, one spike would void the warranty. Yes there is a command. From the command line type smartctl -x /dev/ada0 assuming ada0 is one of the drive id's. You will need to scroll down towards the bottom of the data, look for Lifetime Min/Max Temperature.
Damn. In that case I'm lucky that none of my drives exceeded 50°C so far. The specified max is indeed 55°C.

As for air flow, if all your fans are blowing air out of the case, I think you will have cooler drive temps. I would try that first, then if needed, cover up any case holes with some tape to promote air flow as you desire it.
I should've waited for you to reply. I just sealed most other case holes and am now going to let it sit for a while and see if anything changes. If not I'll reverse the fan directions.

I am not sure what happens when they trip, though.
You're misreading the stat.

"Drive Trip Temperature": Those drives cannot be transported in a vehicle where the ambient temperature exceeds 85C. If they're going on a trip, you should leave the air conditioner running nonstop to minimize the chance of exceeding this limit. (It usually only applies to cross-country trips. Intra-state trips aren't as risky.)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Or Drive Trip Temperature means the drive will shut itself down when this temperature is reached, but I like the description above as well.