Graphed: cooling improvements Silverstone DS380B + Noctua industrialPPC fans

entilza72

Dabbler
Hi team,

Posting because I found other threads here really helpful, and I hope to help others in turn.

I have a Silverstone DS380B with the usual HDD heat issues, running FreeNAS 11 on a Gigabyte H270N-WIFI LGA 1151 Mini ITX Motherboard, Intel Core i5 7600K Quad Core LGA 1151 3.8 GHz CPU (6 x SATA ports), and 2 x Kingston 16GB 2133MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM.

3 x Western Digital RED Pro NAS WD6002FFWX 6TB for the tank and 2 x mirrored 16 Gb USB sticks for the boot/system side.

I had kitted it out with SilverStone 30cm Slim SATA Cable Low Profile Connectors. I had one cable that was DOA, but no issues with the rest. Their impossibly thin wire-like appearance has to be good for airflow, and I've seen no evidence of errors in syslogs (DOA cable not included). The cables do not connect nicely to my mobo because the cable exits the side of the "head" instead of the end, and that puts the cable in direct conflict with its neighbour. But it fits. Just.

I was having the usual cooling issues with just 3 disks, trying to space them out optimally in the case. Disks would typically exceed 50 degrees Celsius (122F) on a summer's day. I wanted to add a 2 disk SATA controller and max the system out to 8 disks, but I needed to solve this heat issue first.

I removed the 3 case fans and replaced them with:
1 x 3000 RPM Noctua 120mm NF-F12 industrialPPC IP52 PWM Fan (REAR OF CASE/HOT EXTRACTION). This fan's speed is set by the temp of the motherboard's chipset (not perfect, but seems to work).
2 x 2000 RPM Noctua 120mm NF-F12 industrialPPC IP52 Fans (SIDE OF CASE/COOL AIR INJECTION). This speed is constant (I think) and is run from the disk bay backplane.

The airflow rate of the 2 input fans is only marginally more than the single 3000 rpm fan.

I also added the "cardboard duct" modification that directs all injected air onto the drives and doesn't splash it into the rear, per https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/04/creating-a-cooling-duct-for-the-silverstone-ds380.html

The graph below shows the results.

new fan temps.png

Fri @ 0300 I turned on the Air Conditioning (prior to modification).
Fri @ 0600 I turned the Air Conditioning off (prior to modification).
An hour later I took the server down to install the fans (and have a meal. Yummy).

The server was back with new fans and duct, operating under load by 0930. No air conditioning!

You will note that ada0 and 1 both run significantly cooler with the new fans and NO air conditioning, than they did when the room was air conditioned with the old fans!

Stunning result! I am very pleased. It's a bit noisier than an old fridge - you certainly know its on and I wouldn't want to sleep in the same room as it, but its quite enough it could plausibly become background noise in the right environment. I can't hear it once I close the door on the room.

I have further modifications planned:

1. Cut a hole for a Noctua 40mm NF-A4x10 FLX 4500RPM Fan (for extraction) in the upper rear of the case (there is a spot for it as-is but I want to remove the metal grill and add a proper fan grill for this). This is to keep hot air from dwelling up the top (hot air rises). I'm planning to put it in parallel with the 3000 RPM Noctua 120mm NF-F12 (same voltage (12v)) but will see what happens.

2. Cut air holes into the back of the disk bay to allow hot air to exit, per this thread: https://forums.freenas.org/threads/photo-files-corrupted-randomly.36519/page-2#post-224091

3. Cut out the case "grill" for the extraction fan and replace with a proper metal grill for better airflow.

(By "metal grill" I mean this: http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/main/fgc-02_2.jpg which I found in another similar thread)

I'm not going to replace the intake filter with 2 grills just yet - I'll see how things go. I am planning to regularly wash that filter.

Cheers,
Ent.

ajfriesen

Cadet
Since I found this post while researching the SilverStone DS380 as well I will leave a link to a blog post I just finished:

It is first about the mod that you can run a full-size HBA with all slots useable for HDDs, but later on, I go into my ~ 2 months temperature data.
I can say Noctuas and a 3D printed plastic shroud from Brian Moses do work wonders! Instead of 3D printing, you can also just use cardboard and duct tape. It is just to force the airflow along the HDD cage.

Here is my blog post:
Silverstone DS380B mod - How To Fit a Normal Size PCI Card into the SilverStone DS380 without losing a HDD slot

rwendt

Cadet
ajfriesen, Did you connect the 2 intake fans to the backplane or to the motherboard headers?

I have no problem cooling now but the fans are running at 100% which doesn't seem ideal. I was contemplating getting a fan controller for it but that's a whole other rabbit hole.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have no problem cooling now but the fans are running at 100% which doesn't seem ideal.
Ooof, I wouldn't like that, having tried NF-F12 IPPCs at 2k RPM.

Macaroni323

Explorer
Just finished a build in a DS380 case.

ASRock Rack C3758D4I-4L board
ST30SF V2 PSU
PNY 120GB SSD for TrueNAS
4 WD Red 4TB data drives

The case is entirely stock except for my fan deflector mod. Thanks for the heads up. Thought I'd share some pix. It was a 10.8" x 3.1" piece cut in 4 locations and bent as shown. Fairly simple fabrication and mounted with the same self tapping screws they use for mounting the fans. Carefully cut to fit the height if the case minus about 0.1" on top and bottom and close (about 1/16") fit against hard drive cage (last pix). Keeps the 4 WD reds less than 32deg (during heavy file activity). I eliminated the front panel USBs and audio connectors since the server board doesn't have audio.

20230403_225325.jpg

20230403_225306.jpg

20230403_230506.jpg
20230403_230226.jpg

Macaroni323

Explorer
Extra note... The system draws about 45W under disk activity (I haven't tried doing any media transcoding or anything that stresses the processors yet). The hottest hardware is the SSD at 37deg C. The rest (HDDs and CPUs) are all under 32deg C.

Last edited: