Are my CPU temperatures/usages normal whilst running plex? (Video attached)

Connor19

Cadet
Hi all, I am new to Truenas and NAS solutions in general but recently decided to build myself a NAS which I will use to store lots of files including PC backups, run a plex server on (the intention is to be able to do multiple simultaneous streams via plex) and also run a virtual machine on so I can do a lot of video converting/editing on (I digitise old tapes and often deal with large lossless files over 50GB and use software to edit and compress the files which is CPU intensive)

My hardware is:
Motherboard: Asus W680 ACE
CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Memory: 64GB (2 x 32GB) Kingston ECC memory DDR5 4800
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 <-- Changed the 3 case fans to noctua PWM fans which has lowered the temperatures slightly as it was previously spiking to 95+ degrees and even saw 100C on one brief occasion
3 x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16TB HDDs running in a RaidZ1 with a 1TB Sabrent PCIE4 NVME Cache
Boot Drives: 2 x 500GB Sabrent NVMEs

The plan with the high specs is to utilise it all down the line with virtual machines but I am taking one step at a time so the first thing I got configured was plex, however what I have noticed is that when I run a plex stream to my TV or IOS device, the CPU usage and temperatures rapidly go up and down which was making me wonder if the CPU is getting too hot due to the cooler not being sufficient. I applied the correct amount of thermal paste and installed it all properly based on the instructions but will reinstall it if needs be to make sure, but I just wanted to check if these readings were normal or if I have some sort of issue here. I changed the case fans as I was aware that the supplied ones were not great and since doing so I have seen a slight reduction in temperatures however the rapid spikes are still ongoing, the idle temperature remains around 30C. I am not intending on running the NAS 24/7 right not but got an air cooler in case I decide to do so, since I know water cooling and AIOs are not ideal for 24/7 use, however I would switch if needs be.

Basically I am just wondering if these temperatures and the rapid spikes are normal or if something needs changing here. I keep on hearing the fan speed going up and down which is what originally concerned me.

If you require more info feel free to ask, I am not sure how is best to showcase the spikes as i did record them via screen recording but videos are not uploadable in this forum so below is a screenshot of the CPU reporting

Many thanks!

Attachments

• temps.png
    temps.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 39

PhilD13

Patron
i7's I think run around 40C-90C and around 95C under heavy load with a decent heatsink. If it hits 99C it would start to throttle to keep from overheating.
My 2 Intel Xeon E5-2640 v4 @ 2.40GHz run on average of 40 and 44 (cpu 1 has a smaller heatsink because of the case) using passive heatsinks) in the rack server.
Make sure the heatsink fins are aligned in the same direction as the case airflow and that may help. Otherwise you will want better cooling. Noctura I found while quiet is not necessarily the best for good cooling.