Feedback requested for TrueNAS Scale build for Video Editing

dirigent

Cadet
I am new to the forums but I have enjoyed reading through the numerous amounts of documentation available and various threads about new builds. I believe I now have a clearer understanding of what hardware might work for this purpose and I would be grateful for any feedback on what I am considering for a build of a TrueNAS Scale system for video editing (1-2 users). This server will also need to run Plex and I would like to install Roon (audio server software) as well.

Here is what I am considering:

DescriptionNotes
CPUEpyc 7302P
MoboASRock Rack ATX ROMED8-2TDual 10G RJ45 Intel -- supports 8 SATA on board (6 20TB + 1 boot drive) + 1 M.2 slot for NVMe
RAMMicron RDIMM DDR4-3200 ECC 32GB 2Rx4128GB total
CaseFractal Design Define 7 XL
HDDWD RED PRO 20TB6 in total in ZFS2 configuration
L2Arc NVMeSabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMeper 1GB ram, 5GB for L2Arc
CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S
Boot Drive SSDSamsung 870 EVO 500GB SATAdual boot drives?
Power SupplySeasonic Prime Titanium 1000W TX-100014x SATA power connectors, 80+ Titanium rating
Case FansFractal X2 GP-14 140mm3 fans already included, add 2 more?
GPU (for Plex Transcoding)NVIDIA Quadro P1000?https://www.elpamsoft.com/?p=Plex-Hardware-Transcoding (75W, 3 HEVC/h.264 streams)

Are there any thoughts on whether I will need to add another pool of SSDs for current video projects in addition to the spinning drives or do you think I will have fast enough read access with 6 drives in a ZFS2 configuration?

I am grateful for any feedback that you might be able to provide. Thank you in advance.

artlessknave

Wizard
if you dont already have the stats to prove l2arc is needed, l2arc is usually not needed. you can attach it later. l2arc is read only, and will always be slower than ARC (RAM). you will likely see better performance by investing that in RAM first.
scale, iirc, is limited to 50% RAM. that means 64GB. iirc, l2arc recommendation is 128GB first, so you would need 256GB to even reach that.
Boot Drive SSDSamsung 870 EVO 500GB SATAdual boot drives?
why the hell 500GB? you only need 16GB or so for the OS...120GB are the biggest you should ever use.
GPU (for Plex Transcoding)NVIDIA Quadro P1000?
I haven't used this but from what I have seen a p1000 is considered solid.

NickF

Guru
First off love the build. Love the table and the formatting because I am tired and lazy.

Workload A:
TrueNAS Scale system for video editing (1-2 users
What resolution? How many FPS?

Workload B:
This server will also need to run Plex and I would like to install Roon (audio server software) as well.

How many users?

dirigent

Cadet
if you dont already have the stats to prove l2arc is needed, l2arc is usually not needed. you can attach it later. l2arc is read only, and will always be slower than ARC (RAM). you will likely see better performance by investing that in RAM first.
scale, iirc, is limited to 50% RAM. that means 64GB. iirc, l2arc recommendation is 128GB first, so you would need 256GB to even reach that.

why the hell 500GB? you only need 16GB or so for the OS...120GB are the biggest you should ever use.

I haven't used this but from what I have seen a p1000 is considered solid.
Ok, thank you for this information. Yes you are quite right, I could use smaller boot drives!

I like your suggestion about trying the build without the L2ARC first and then adding as needed. I think this may be my strategy with seeing if I will need to create a separate SSD pool solely for video editing. Do you think 128GB of RAM would be sufficient or should I consider 256GB?

Thanks again!

dirigent

Cadet
First off love the build. Love the table and the formatting because I am tired and lazy.

Workload A:

What resolution? How many FPS?

Workload B:

How many users?
For workload A: the worst case scenario is 4k footage at 30fps with 4 camera Multicam. The files tend to be large since it is concert footage which is being edited. Usually only one user accessing the footage at a time but possibly up to two.

For workload B: 1-2 users with Plex. Most files are 1080p. For Roon usually only one stream playing at a time and no more than two users.

NickF

Guru
For workload A: the worst case scenario is 4k footage at 30fps with 4 camera Multicam. The files tend to be large since it is concert footage which is being edited. Usually only one user accessing the footage at a time but possibly up to two.

For workload B: 1-2 users with Plex. Most files are 1080p. For Roon usually only one stream playing at a time and no more than two users.
6 disks in a single vdev of RAIDZ2 ain't gonna cut it. You need IOPS for scrubbing footage in a timeline. Try mirrors and you may be fine as -is