Feedback needed on proposed NAS Build

kriziw

Cadet
Dear Community,

This is my first post, so please don't be too harsh when giving feedback - honesty is appreciated.
I am considering retiring my N54L as the poor thing is struggling with the current workload.

The current build includes 4x2TB WD RED NAS drives with an SSD (potentially later an other mirrored one) for boot. The current (and future intended) use is running Plex with transcoding with it's companions (arr apps) and additional VMs.

I have been reading all of the guides posted on here and am considering 2 scenarios.

Option 1 would be an i3-9100 Intel CPU - here I'm struggling to find used motherboard for <130€ with ECC registered memory capability.
Any advice on how to find a cheap suitable motherboard within Europe would help immensely.

Option 2 would be an Intel Xeon E3-1275 V6 (or E-2146G or E-2124) paired with a Supermicro X11SSL-F. Here my concern is around the unbuffered/unregistered RAM. Is there any downside using 4x16GB ECC unbuffered RAM compared to registered memory?

When designing the hardware (excluding the case), are there any aspects I am missing or any hardware pieces I should consider?
My budget is around 200-250€ for CPU and Motherboard.

Please let me know if I missed any details in my post which helps to clarify.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: