Feedback request on proposed SOHO build

Hi,
I have done a fair amount of reading around before posting this, so I hope that I haven't missed anything obvious that wastes the reader's time when they have to point it out. I can't wait to get stuck into this.

Requirements
Most likely going to be using TrueNAS SCALE, as I am more familiar with Linux.
SOHO NAS, serving two desktops & two laptops.
Possible use as a media server, mainly driving content to Raspberry Pi linked to the TV, but also music to various devices.
Likely peak usage: 2 computer users + media server.
Serves as filestore for various devices, including large amount of photos.
There is some moderately confidential info that must be in encrypted datasets.
May use the box for running some Docker containers, unsure.
Must be quiet-ish, as placement is an issue.
Probably must be a tower, as I'm not sure where to store a rack and I can make a quieter tower in less space.
Current network 1Gb Ethernet to the office. May expand to 10Gb in future.
Need UPS for server + network switch + 2 Ubiquiti Wi-Fi APs (more about the surge-suppression for latter devices).

Proposed hardware:
CPU
Xeon E3-1230v6 3.5 GHz

Motherboard
Supermicro X11SSL-CF

Memory
A little hard to find...
4X 16GB
Hynix - 16GB PC4-17000P-E (2RX8, DDR4-2133MHz)
https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/hynix-16gb-pc4-17000p-e-2rx8-ddr4-2133mhz-ecc-unbuffered-ram

Storage
2 RAID Z2 vdevs each consisting of 4 WD Red+ 6TB drives
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/6tb...dd-sata-iii-6gb-s-5400rpm-256mb-cache-ncq-oem

Boot drive
A small new Samsung SATA (still massively oversized)

PSU
Be Quiet Straight Power 11 CM 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
https://www.quietpc.com/bequiet-straight-power-11?product=5510

Case
Antec P101 Silent Mid-Tower
https://www.overclockers.com/antec-p101-silent-mid-tower-case-review/

UPS
CyberPower Value Pro UPS VP1600EILCD 1600VA 960Watts
https://upscentre.co.uk/onlinestore/product/cyberpower-value-pro-ups-vp1500eilcd-1500va-960watts/

Future upgrade options:
Chelsio 10GB card
Change HDs to SSDs some years into the future?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Looks like a reasonable plan to meet your needs.

Maybe consider why you're doing 2 VDEVs and think about Mirrors instead of RAIDZ2 if the answer is "more IOPS".

If not Mirrors, then consider a single RAIDZ2 VDEV and save yourself some capacity (2 disks worth) at the small-ish cost of slower copy on loads of small files.

Thanks for your swift response. I'll use 6x6TB, or maybe use the saved money to bump it up to 6x8TB, I'll have to think.
I'm going to try to buy the drives from several sources, to try to get them from different batches.

artlessknave

Wizard
thoughts:
"be quiet" PSU? desktop, maybe, but a server? no.
as noted above, 8 drives is raid2 or mirrors. 2xraidz2 makes no sense at that size.
I have 3 cyperpower. i will probably never buy more. I have one that turns off and stays off if the power dies. I have to manually turn it on. I think it also just ranadomly turns off. I had to dual power everything I have connected to it (rackmounts) and I just dont trust it.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Most likely going to be using TrueNAS SCALE, as I am more familiar with Linux.
If that is your only reason, I would suggest to reconsider it. You cannot install and/or configure things like on a normal Linux system anyway, since TrueNAS is an appliance. I am also much more of a Linux person than FreeBSD, but as of this writing wouldn't consider Scale for a split second. I want a rock-solid NAS and don't need apps to run on it, so for me it is an easy choice.

The more important aspects will be stability and functionality, which are different between the two.

Thanks @ChrisRJ for your firm steer. After yet more reading around, I had already decided against TrueNAS SCALE, but did not want to clutter this thread. I am veering towards this being a NAS-only box, both for stability and security reasons.

Thanks too @artlessknave for your tip against Cyberpower. A little more googling has made me wary of them. Will this do?
APC 1600VA 900W Line-Interactive UPS

Thanks also for your input on not having two vdevs. I've done more reading and am now aiming for one vdev.

Is there anything wrong with my hanging my sata drives off two of these cables?

Many thanks for the replies already received. I have already got so much out of these forums. Friendly, but no-nonsense with a firm steer towards trouble-free quality setups. I can't wait to get stuck in to quite a lengthy set of quality tests.

artlessknave

Wizard
Is there anything wrong with my hanging my sata drives off two of these cables?
yes. those cables are not load bearing. you can, however, put ssds basically anywhere if you don't have any OCD related objections....gorilla tape em to the case if you want, or just let them sit on the bottom, just dont put the weight on the data cables.

Oops, I was using the word hanging a bit loosely there. I meant attaching. I've assumed yes, no problem and have ordered everything.