Feedback On Supermicro MBD-X11SCA-F-O Build

kilroy232

Cadet
Hi, I hope that everyone is well.

Quick background on me, I have been running TrueNAS Core (previously FreeNAS) for a few years now as a hobbyist and I have gotten to the point where I depend on the systems that TrueNAS is running and I want to take steps to make a more bullet proof system. The current system I have sees a number of crashing issues related to C6 C-State on AMD Ryzen CPUs and more importantly the processor does not support ECC memory. You should be able to see my current system in my signature.

These are the parts I am considering purchasing:
Mother Board: Supermicro MBD-X11SCA-F-O
CPU 1: Intel Xeon E-2234 Coffee Lake 3.6GHz
CPU 2: Intel Xeon E-2136 Coffee Lake 3.3GHz
Memory: NEMIX 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 2Rx8 ECC Unbuffered Memory

These parts would be powered by the 450W LSP ULT-H450W that is currently in there. I understand that the power supply is a little small but I don't plan to add any more disks for some time.

With TrueNAS I am running 2 SMB shares, 1 Ubuntu 18 VM, and 6 jails running (Plex, PiHole and various other things).

Want I would like to know is if anyone reading this sees an problems with these parts as far as them working together and working with TrueNAS (FreeBSD). Also if there are any suggestions or recommendations, as I am still very much a hobbyist. I have seen that the Supermicro X10 and X11 seems to be the board of choice on the forum here.

I would appreciate any feedback.

P.S. Is IPMI a good feature to have? I have never owned a workstation/server motherboard but it sounds like a cool feature to have.

artlessknave

Wizard
have you considered that some of your crashing issues might be because you...don't have enough power?
i would not even consider running your *existing* system on 450W. as PSUs get older, they tend to supply a little less, and when you run them near their max, they age and fail faster.
you want to to be in the peak efficiency mark for the PSU, and thats usually around 60-80%, and, for that matter, you want to be sure a server works correctly and reliably, and so you do not want to be "A little underpowered"

IPMI is very useful. not having to connect a monitor/USB disk for problems is incredibly useful.
note, also, that this is a workstation motherboard, with audio, which will not very useful for TrueNAS.

kilroy232

Cadet
I really hate to admit it but I really didn't think (It hadn't occurred to me) having a power supply that size would be an issue but you make very good points. I think since I am already looking to upgrade parts I will make the PSU an item on my list.

Do you mind telling me what kind of wattage you use in your builds?

artlessknave

Wizard
I added that to my builds, but the summary:

216E26-R1200LPB
supermicro chassis names have the wattage in them, so R1200 means redundant 1200W (way overkill, only SSD in this, but I got the whole chassis new in box for an amazballs price)

I had to check the others, cuz yay, undocumented proprietary
760W for the isilon s200, and 1000W for the even older nl108 Isilon 4U

550-650W would probably be plenty with some headroom for the existing one.
for the x11 board I would probably aim for ~750W, with 800-1000 being fine if thats whats avaiable (PSUs are also having supply issues)
i would probably not go below 650W on that.
also, note that cheapo PSU's typically are less stable, and often dont actually deliver what they say. the main brand PSU's can often be pushed a little harder to to having better components. this is an area where you dont want to cheap out, since literally everything needs power.
there should be a resource around somewhere on PSU sizing. hmm.

artlessknave

Wizard
aha, here is it. I would consider this to be more accurate than the numbers I stated.

Last edited:

kilroy232

Cadet
Thank you very much for your input artlessknave. I am definitely going to be getting a larger power supply to go with my other new parts. I think I will be grabbing a CORSAIR RM850 CP-9020235-NA or something similar.

Sorry for the late resonse, I have been on holiday for the last week.

artlessknave

Wizard
I have a RMi850 in my desktop. i have had it for years, and never found any problems. while it's not server grade (or redundant), it should be solid.
Sorry for the late resonse, I have been on holiday for the last week.
ultimately, the thread was to help you; if you stop needing help, that's basically the goal. there is no "late" response, really.

kilroy232

Cadet

artlessknave

Wizard
had a moment of "uhhh, no e-2200?!?" but then i checked supermicro and it's there. thanks newegg.

kilroy232

Cadet
had a moment of "uhhh, no e-2200?!?" but then i checked supermicro and it's there. thanks newegg.
Haha, I should have definitely mentioned that as a note but yes, I was very careful to make sure the CPU would work with the different mobo.