Fan speed for 24-bay storage

Kosta

Contributor
Hello,
this is more a general question than TrueNAS specific, but it goes hand in hand with the proposed setup. Right, so:
My new case is Inter-Tech 4724.
All is well except the fans being waaaaaaaay too loud. I expected it to be somewhat louder, but this are dBs that I know from our server rooms. Understandable.
However, I am sure I can go down with RPM.
I am aiming toward Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC, be that 2000rpm or 3000rpm.
I previously had a PC case, and this one had 5 120mm fans, but really, the "server" was barely noticeable. And HDD temperatures were all in normal range, around 36°C.
I have to add that beside 3 120mm fans in the middle, the case also had 80mm fans in the back (which will also be replaced), and a separate CPU fan (which will also be replaced).
Possibly important: motherboard is Supermicro X11SPI-TF. It has some rudimentary fan management, but nothing fancy.

So, couple of questions:
Do you find these fans enough for that storage case, if it were filled with 24 disks? ( I am going to reckon it's enough for 10 disks I have now)
Would you rather go 2000rpm or 3000rpm?
Should I get some kind of fan management?

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You should certainly have the 3000 RPM option, you can always spin them slower. You should consider static pressure (and make sure you blank out the empty bays to have airflow moving over your disks and not just through the empty bays), so the fans probably need to be almost the same with any number of disks.

You should look up PID fan control scripts in the forum, there are several out there and it seems your board is probably already ready for it.

Kosta

Contributor
Indeed. I forgot that Noctua actually has those 5V/7V adapters to throttle the speed. Ordered 3000rpm ones.

I am reading about the script for Supermicro motherboards, but I am a bit unsure where to run those? I have bunch of VMs, ESXi, do I need to boot some live CD or something? Because otherweise direct motherboard access isn't possible, if I understand it correctly?

Besides, I have another problem: my HDDs aren't showing any temperatures in TrueNAS. This used to work previously. How are the temperatures read about usually?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I am reading about the script for Supermicro motherboards, but I am a bit unsure where to run those? I have bunch of VMs, ESXi, do I need to boot some live CD or something? Because otherweise direct motherboard access isn't possible, if I understand it correctly?

Besides, I have another problem: my HDDs aren't showing any temperatures in TrueNAS. This used to work previously. How are the temperatures read about usually?
OK, complicated...

If you're doing it right, you'll be passing your HBA through to the TrueNAS VM, so your temperatures will be read via smartctl... if you pass virtual disks into the VM from the hypervisor, that isn't going to work.

I haven't seen anyone sharing information on running the fan scripts to attach to a supermicro board that isn't on bare-metal TrueNAS, so I can't confirm how that might be done (other than knowing that the script calls ipmitool, which can call over IP addresses to your IPMI card, so should be doable with an adjustment to the ipmitool variable in the script to include the IP and login). If that's no good, I use a Corsair Commander Pro to control my fans (no supermicro MoBo for me) and a custom version of the script I created to allow the script to get to the fans via the controller which I pass into the VM over USB.

Kosta

Contributor
I am passing through both HBAs to TrueNAS. I checked the status of one of disks with smartctl -x /dev/da6, and it says RAW_VALUE 33.
However no temperature in Reporting. What am I missing?

Oh I see, I didn't see the IP/login field. Will certainly try executing that from TrueNAS VM itself.

And what is really bugging me. Previous setup was for some reason "sorted". As in, da0, da1 etc, corresponded to disks 1-8 from top to bottom.
However now, all is mixed up, and I have NO idea which disk is which.

Besides, for some reason, some disks are showing errors, which they didn't do in the previous setup. There is a new HBA currently, and all connections go over SAS connectors. Controllers are LSI 9201-8i.

I really thought this would be waaaay less painful.

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I am passing through both HBAs to TrueNAS. I checked the status of one of disks with smartctl -x /dev/da6, and it says RAW_VALUE 33.
However no temperature in Reporting. What am I missing?
I think you need to specify in the additional smart options that your disks are SAS... SATA is expected.

And what is really bugging me. Previous setup was for some reason "sorted". As in, da0, da1 etc, corresponded to disks 1-8 from top to bottom.
Are you talking about the disks list? no idea what you're referring to. You can't rely on the label assignment to remain constant anyway. You need to refer to disks by serial numbers to be sure.

Depending on what hypervisor you're using, maybe there's an option to control the fans directly on it... I think there's something called fancontrol which you may be able to install if your hypervisor is debian based (like proxmox).

Kosta

Contributor
I think you need to specify in the additional smart options that your disks are SAS... SATA is expected.
No no, disks are SATA, connections from the backplane to the HBA are SAS.
A thing changed here with the new setup: previously, I used a SAS to 4x SATA cable, which I connected directly.
Now, disks are hot swap, with SAS 3G backplane.

Are you talking about the disks list? no idea what you're referring to. You can't rely on the label assignment to remain constant anyway. You need to refer to disks by serial numbers to be sure.
Yes, I am talking about that. Still, if I see a failing disk, how do I know which disk in the front is it??

Depending on what hypervisor you're using, maybe there's an option to control the fans directly on it...
It's ESXi. Can ESXi do anything?

sretalla