From FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS Core 12 - Upgrade Stories

Scharbag

Guru
That doesn't surprise me that you have had trouble with Ubiquiti. The Unifi Controller has some old dependancies. I run my UniFi Controller on a Raspberry Pi for that reason.

Perhaps I should run Unifi on a RP3... That is a great idea!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Run it on a Linux VM.

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
I've run UniFi Controller in a hand-built FreeBSD jail, hosted on my FreeNAS box, of course, for more than a year already without any problems. My home network is small, I'll admit, just a UniFi switch and an AP, but I've updated that jail across several FreeNAS releases (currently on 11.3-U4.1), configured UniFi Controller to use my own Let's Encrypt cert, automated it's re-installation from my pfSense VM, and even built my own UniFi Controller packages through poudriere on a FreeNAS-hosted FreeBSD VM, and never had any issues with any of that.

I'm happy to offer any insights if anyone is interested.

ThreeDee

Guru
I've just been running the unifi controller plugin and it's been running great. My 4 old unifi ap's won't be supported for much longer though .. :frown:

indivision

Guru
I

I'd like to think you can upgrade the version of FreeBSD running in the jail to the latest supported in TrueNAS (12.1?) and then the packages should update?

Upgrading Jails
Upgrades are handled with the freebsd-update(8) utility. By default, the user must supply the new RELEASE for the jail’s upgrade. For example:

# iocage upgrade examplejail -r 11.0-RELEASE

Tells jail examplejail to upgrade its RELEASE to 11.0-RELEASE.

Note
It is recommended to keep the iocage host and jails RELEASE synchronized.
To upgrade a jail to the host’s RELEASE, run:

iocage upgrade -r [11.1-RELEASE] [UUID | NAME]

This upgrades the jail to the same RELEASE as the host. This method also applies to basejails.

I'm trying to do this... Right now it appears stuck on a screen with:

Code:
The following files will be removed as part of updating to
12.1-RELEASE-p10:
/bin/rcp
/etc/apmd.conf

Is it working in the background and will continue on its own after this point? Or is it asking me to press some key to approve? I can scroll way down the list and it just shows "End" with no prompts... Sorry if this is a newb question.

I can't seem to see where there are any other guides for completing an upgrading from 11.3 to 12 in the forums...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@indivision you are supposed to press 'q' to exit the pager.

indivision

Guru
@indivision you are supposed to press 'q' to exit the pager.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I had already pressed "c" and it aborted the entire process. So, I will need to go through the whole slow thing again to try that.

Are there any other secret keys needed after that to complete this? Or, any thorough guides for it?

zizzithefox

Dabbler
I honestly haven’t had any real issues with 11. Last time I had any real issues was when Corral came out and I bought need up downgrading cause I hated it.

To tell you the truth, I just find annoying that by reading so many forums it looks like you HAVE to rebuild because upgrading NEVER works. It's frustrating, even though it's actually understandable: people write in forums because they have problems, so, no surprise here.

As for the general philosophy, I too believe that simple is better than easy, so I understand the DIY vibe to a certain point: I don't use pkg for upgrading many things like plex, syncthing, nextcloud: they are pretty easy to configure on their own, and the pace at which they are upgraded in package systems is really too slow. Even ubuntu struggles sometimes, so that you know I am not shitting on anyone, because maintaining software is hard, man.

But, on the same line, if someone bothers to give you a function that upgrades automagically and I can afford the downtime, why would not you try it? Make a snapshot and see what happens. If it just works, ehi, great: I have something else to do in the meantime.

Let's face it: I am getting old, therefore lazy.

Andre Clarke

Dabbler
Hello,
I have migrated to TrueNAS 12 but all my plugins are down, I will update them but I want have possibility to rollback.
If I create for each jail manual snapshot, then its possible to rollback?

p.s: Jails was down because of devfs_ruleset option, I set it to 4 for each jail and it works now...
Having this problem where jails wont start.......will setting the jails to all 4s cause any issue......in 11.3 the numbers are all different

indivision

Guru
I was able to upgrade around half of the jails to 12.1 Release. But, some of them give me this error:

"etcupdate failed! Rolling back snapshot."

I found some reading about this error. But, I'm not sure if they apply to this case. Don't want to cause harm. Any ideas?

Just upgraded to TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE. No issues so far (except for that annoying graphs/theme issue). I'll wait a day or two before upgrading my Emby jails and a week or so before setting any new ZFS flags.

Upgrade went as smooth as silk. Great work iXsystems Team! (Now, if the Ubiquiti team could do as well... :mad:)

--- Edit ---
I should note that everything seems faster/snappier, too!

--- Edit 2 ---
Just noticed the LibreNMS now reports TrueNAS.

ThreeDee

Guru

cadavor

Cadet
Hi,
I ran with the same problem with devfs rules on my jails but thanks to community now it's solved...
I started to upgrade jails from 11.3-RELEASE-p6 to 12.1-RELEASE-p10.
Works well (not as long as expected), launch "pkg upgrade -y" => OK
But then I need to use portsnap because one package is missing and need to be upgraded manually by compiling
And its where I've got a problem with portsnap
$portsnap fetch extract portsnap: Directory does not exist or is not writable: var/db/portsnap
I check and the directory is missing
It worked well on 11.3

What to do to solve this problem ?
- just creating the directory but with which right?

And why I've got this problem?

Thanks

maxikd

Cadet
So, I've just updated to TrueNAS Core 12 (stable) and everything seems to be working ok, except for the Web UI. My Plex and qBittorrent plugins are working as expected. I can access Plex from outside the network and qBittorrent is uploading files as it should. But when I try to log into the Web UI, I get this message
Connecting to TrueNAS ... Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network.
, either via IP or domain name. I've tried to disconnect and reconnect ethernet cable and also shutting down the system, but without success. I also tried Incognito Mode and more than one device. I can't connect it to a monitor for now to check the after-boot config. My system was configured with a static IP and was working fine just before the upgrade. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?

Thanks in advance!

Rand0mUser

Dabbler
Hello,

I just upgraded one server from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE this morning.

Before the upgrade, I exported my jails to zip files using

Code:
iocage export

and I grabbed the files from /mnt/pool-name/iocage/images/

I also made manual snapshot just in case.

Then I stopped all jails, changed update train to TrueNAS and launched the upgrade. I only took a few minutes before the reboot.

Everything went smooth, and all jails were started and running fine at reboot. I wanted to make sure jails were up to date so I upgraded jails using

Code:
iocage upgrade -r 12.1-RELEASE jail-name

I had one FAMP (plugin), one Nginx (not a plugin), one Plex (plugin) and one Nextcloud (plugin). All jails upgraded well, except for the Nextcloud.

Upgrade also updated the jail and I think this is what went wrong. After the upgrade, Nextcloud jail IP was displaying TrueNAS webUI login instead of Nextcloud login. This is not critical for me, since this jail was just a quick and dirty setup made for tests, so I just uninstalled it and I'll create a new one if needed.

Plex went from version 1.20.3.3483 to 1.20.4.3517 after the upgrade so it also updated, no issue with it so far.

About the pools, since I was using old encryption (Gelid) it's now displaying "(Legacy Encryption)". I didn't upgrade the pools, as I'm not so sure I really need new features and I can roll back in case of a problem.

Some things I noticed:

After upgrade, I had an error when trying to SSH to the server using Putty:

Code:
Couldn't agree a key exchange algorithm

This was because I was using an old Putty version. I just downloaded latest version and I could SSH to the server.

I now have lot of those errors in the console:

Code:
Nov 18 12:51:53 freenas 1 2020-11-18T12:51:53.320759+01:00 freenas.local mountd 3561 - - can't open /etc/zfs/exports

I also noticed TrueNAS webUI doesn't keep me logged in, I need to put my username and password often which is not very convenient.

Beside of that everything seems to run fine so far.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

alex992

Explorer
upgraded server from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 to TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE iSCSI 10G connections very slow

Rand0mUser

Dabbler
You can upgrade to 12.2 if you like, support for 12.1 ending soon.

I tried it first but it automatically upgraded to 12.1 instead of 12.2 with a message like there was not 12.2 available.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I tried it first but it automatically upgraded to 12.1 instead of 12.2 with a message like there was not 12.2 available.
You need to iocage fetch first.