From FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS Core 12 - Upgrade Stories

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
I find that the GUI randomly becomes painfully slow, I mean 5-10+ minutes to load jail. Usually gets stuck on the Connecting to TrueNAS splash. Anyone else in the same boat? I have to reboot in order to get things done. I've rebooted more in the past 2 days than I have in months.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Just fyi, upgrade on my main box (SM board w Skylake, nvme bootdrive, onboard SAS3, NVME, NVDimm) failed with a kernel panic on boot-> https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-108096
Probably related to the non-standard H so not really applicable for others.
NVDimms are very unusual and only tested in specific configurations. I'd suggest rebooting without NVDimm and see if that is the issue.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I find that the GUI randomly becomes painfully slow, I mean 5-10+ minutes to load jail. Usually gets stuck on the Connecting to TrueNAS splash. Anyone else in the same boat? I have to reboot in order to get things done. I've rebooted more in the past 2 days than I have in months.
If you can reproduce with another browser and client, I'd suggest reporting this as a bug. Check for other bug reports that might be similar.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Check out this thread:
and this linked one: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/disktemp-py-error.87378/#post-611721

TL/DR:
If you're seeing python3.8 taking 100%CPU in top (I know it will be hard to to that when it's running slow, but with some patience, you should be able to...

Are you running the SNMP service? if so, stop it and kill the python3.8 process. It has worked for me so far.

Last edited:

Rand

Guru
NVDimms are very unusual and only tested in specific configurations. I'd suggest rebooting without NVDimm and see if that is the issue.
I dont' have easy physical access to the box at this time unfortunately.

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
Are you running the SNMP service? if so, stop it and kill the python3.8 process. It has worked for me so far.

I'm not running SNMP but came home to find I couldn't load plex. Jumped on my laptop and sure enough couldn't connect to FreeNAS GUI or anything. Rebooted my server and was able to get back in. What's the command to kill python?

ornias

Wizard
I'm not running SNMP but came home to find I couldn't load plex. Jumped on my laptop and sure enough couldn't connect to FreeNAS GUI or anything. Rebooted my server and was able to get back in. What's the command to kill python?
The same command to totally disable TrueNAS (the backend is python based): Reboot.

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
The same command to totally disable TrueNAS (the backend is python based): Reboot.

I did that and things came back up but I've had to do this at least once a day since upgrading. I'm having the python 3.8 middleware issues and I have SNMP turned off. I rebooted around 11pm last night and already this morning GUI is not loading again.

alex992

Explorer
After update from 11.3 U5 to 12.0 no access to root files SMB trying to enable "Samba Authencation" message : " Password must be changed in order to enable SMB authentication" after changing password next message is :"This attribute cannot be changed" Is it one more bug?

tmack8080

Cadet
Upgraded from last 11.3 build to 12 and lost all of my ESXi datastores. I can see the devices in ESXi but cannot mount the datastores. I can login via iscsiadm. I even rebuilt one of my ESXi host and cannot attach any datastores to it.

zizzithefox

Dabbler
After I learned that TrueNAS Core 12 went STABLE recently (I missed any official announcment regarding this here), I upgraded my FreeNAS-system running 11.3-U5 yesterday.

As I have scripted the creation and building of all these jails, there is an easy fix: I will just rebuild the jails one by one (I did this already in the past on main version upgrades). I saw that TrueNAS Core 12 offers two release-versions for creating new jails, 11.4 and 12.1.

Why on earth are you manually rebuilding the jails? For example, I just do:

iocage upgrade <nameofthejail> -r 12.1-RELEASE

EDIT: Ah, OK. I have seen the replies now :smile:. I don't know what it is with people deciding to rebuild their jails all the time...

Last edited:

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
EDIT: Ah, OK. I have seen the replies now :smile:. I don't know what it is with people deciding to rebuild their jails all the time...

There's a few tricks to speed things up but without them it takes about an hour or so, YMMV, to update the release per jail. With a script or even copy/pasting like I do, rebuilding is much faster.... as long as you have a backup of whatever app's config i.e. Sonarr/Radarr.

tmack8080

Cadet
Upgraded from last 11.3 build to 12 and lost all of my ESXi datastores. I can see the devices in ESXi but cannot mount the datastores. I can login via iscsiadm. I even rebuilt one of my ESXi host and cannot attach any datastores to it.

Update:
I had to remount the volumes as snaps for some reason:

> esxcli storage vmfs snapshot list
> esxcli storage vmfs snapshot mount -l "VMFS_1"

airflow

Contributor
Why on earth are you manually rebuilding the jails? For example, I just do:

iocage upgrade <nameofthejail> -r 12.1-RELEASE

Ever heard of the "pet vs. cattle analogy"? :smile: OK seriously, it's not 100% applicable here, but still I'd like my services to be automagically re-createable, with configs, modifications, customizations etc (all the labor-intensive stuff) logically separated from the individual jail (and with version-control). But I have to admit: In the end my FreeNAS and all what belongs to it is my big pet. And watching jails compile wields a strange meditative power over me. o_O

Kevo

Dabbler
I don't know what it is with people deciding to rebuild their jails all the time...

If they never broke on upgrades I probably would have never rebuilt mine. Just update and upgrade them. Unfortunately it seems that they are just as likely to break as work after a major version upgrade and besides that the upgrades take longer than the rebuilds.

One of my jails is literally install apache, install nano, one mount that houses my sites, and about 5 very simple vhost configs to paste into the apache conf file. I mean if that jail breaks on upgrade I don't know what to say really. Maybe I should have waited until U2 or U3 to upgrade, but this is my home install where I tend to guinea pig things, so I just give it a go and deal with the consequences.

AirborneTrooper

Contributor
I honestly haven’t had any real issues with 11. Last time I had any real issues was when Corral came out and I bought need up downgrading cause I hated it.