Freenas 11.3 to Truenas 12 Missing Dataset

royalbadger

Cadet
I recently upgraded from Freenas 11.3 to Truenas 12. I originally had an issue with my Plex plugin when I upgraded from Freenas 11.2 to 11.3, so I said screw it and just moved to Truenas. The upgrade appeared to be fine, I was able to create a new Plex install, but during the process of mapping the media I could no longer find my mount points for media share. When I looked at the pools in the GUI, I noticed its no longer on the list, but the amount of data used suggest it sees the media. I can also still see all the media on the SMB share from my Windows laptop.
2021-10-24_23-28-05.png

I'm looking for some guidance on if there is something I can run from shell to address this.

Worst case I thought about just moving all the media to some other drives, then recreating the dataset.

Thank you

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Yikes, your pool is 100% full. You've got a very little bit of space free, but ZFS is very, very unhappy when it's that full, and weird things can happen, like you've seen. The rule of thumb is to keep it under 80% full.

How is your pool composed? Click the gear, and select Status, please.

royalbadger

Cadet
You're are right. Its been one of those things I've been ignoring the last few months. I have another server coming online in the near future to solve my space issue. Its taking bit since I'm learning to use Promox and virtualize Truenas.
2021-10-25_9-40-11.png

Thank you for your input.

royalbadger

Cadet
So I copied a bunch of the data to an external drive and I'm now sitting a little below 80%. One thing I noticed is that when I tried to access the pool path from shell, I get permission denied. Is there away to change pool permission from shell since I can't edit in the GUI? Thank you

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please post the exact command you entered when you got that "permission denied".

Looking at the screenshot, I'm assuming you've dumped everything (all files and folders, all multimedia) directly into the top-level root dataset named Media? :eek:

As far as I know, starting with TrueNAS CORE 12+, you cannot change the permissions of the top-level root dataset.

---

EDIT: What is the output for:

zfs list -r -t filesystem -o name Media

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
So you just entered /mnt/Media at a command prompt? /mnt/Media is not an executable program file, so "permission denied" is the perfectly correct answer. The command you probably want is cd /mnt/Media for "change directory". Better learn some Unix basics first :wink:

royalbadger

Cadet
Yes, and it was the move to Truenas that I've now figured out that wasn't good. lol I've seen a few post with the same issue, but I didn't run across a solution. Currently I'm just moving the data to external drives in the event I need to redo the dataset.

royalbadger

Cadet
So you just entered /mnt/Media at a command prompt? /mnt/Media is not an executable program file, so "permission denied" is the perfectly correct answer. The command you probably want is cd /mnt/Media for "change directory". Better learn some Unix basics first :wink:
No doubt about learning basic Unix first. I actually was running cd first and received "No such file or directory". But now I realize I was missing / in front of mnt. So now I can actually access from shell. Is there a way to move them to a new dataset that is not top level? I appreciate the help.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Create new dataset in the UI. Then:
Code:
cd /mnt/Media
ls -l
mv <some-directory-with-files> <name-of-new-dataset>
ls -l

Repeat until all directories/files moved. The ls -l is equivalent to dir in DOS/Windows.

Yes, and it was the move to Truenas that I've now figured out that wasn't good. lol I've seen a few post with the same issue, but I didn't run across a solution.
The best way to view the top-level root dataset is like a "dangling keychain ring" or "fancy placeholder". Never store anything directly into it, but rather create/use datasets underneath.

You can even go one step further and create pseudo-root dataset(s) that serve as placeholders to help with logical separation of the importance of different data and to choose in a "single go" which pseudo-root to backup/replicate to another destination.

royalbadger

Cadet
Create new dataset in the UI. Then:
Code:
cd /mnt/Media
ls -l
mv <some-directory-with-files> <name-of-new-dataset>
ls -l

Repeat until all directories/files moved. The ls -l is equivalent to dir in DOS/Windows.
Thank you for your help. I was able to move the files to the new dataset. It took around a day to run. I was concerned it wasn't going to work because every time I checked the pool status, the new dataset was growing, but total usage for the pool was also going up. I was thinking it would run out of space before it finished.