From FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS Core 12 - Upgrade Stories

bed

Dabbler
I updated from 11.3 U5 to 12.0 U1 today and had no issues migrating my jails. Namely Plex and Nextcloud.

I do however have an issue with iscsi on my vmware esxi 7.0 hosts. ISCSI access is intermittent and will not allow powering up of any vm's. No issues with windows ISCSI connections as far as I can tell. Before I start digging I was wondering if there is something obvious or known that I could have missed?

NasKar

Guru

tiberiusQ

Contributor
So far all cool except I do still get the following error on 12.0 U1:

Eg.
Dec 10 18:00:25 freenas01 1 2020-12-10T18:00:25.009683+01:00 freenas01.awg.at mountd 1797 - - can't open /etc/zfs/exports

Alecmascot

Guru
So far all cool except I do still get the following error on 12.0 U1:

Eg.
Dec 10 18:00:25 freenas01 1 2020-12-10T18:00:25.009683+01:00 freenas01.awg.at mountd 1797 - - can't open /etc/zfs/exports
Now will be fixed in U2

zizzithefox

Dabbler
I updated from 11.3 U5 to 12.0 U1 today and had no issues migrating my jails. Namely Plex and Nextcloud.

I do however have an issue with iscsi on my vmware esxi 7.0 hosts. ISCSI access is intermittent and will not allow powering up of any vm's. No issues with windows ISCSI connections as far as I can tell. Before I start digging I was wondering if there is something obvious or known that I could have missed?

Hi! Well, I don't know where you got 12.0-U1, but I installed 12.0-RELEASE because I am not so advanced.

However, exact same thing here, only with XCP-ng. It turned out that somehow the password for CHAP changed to something far longer. I really don't remember if and when I changed it, but it seems unlikely, otherwise I would notice the iscsi sr missing. The damn thing did it :smile: !!! I am joking, it was really easy to fix. Actually I peeked /etc/ctl.conf and took the new (?) password from there.

The only problem here is that it feels like I am being hacked. But the iscsi target was really without any importance: virtual machines i barely ever use.

As for the transition, it was very very very very very smooth. Did I say "very"?

Ok, I immediately bumped into a bug where you stop a virtual machine and it reports as active whereas it is definitely down. It's already reported and it seems it's going to be fixed in the next release. No big deal for me, as I hardly ever need to turn the virtual machines off. But you have to reboot, which might be bad for someone. I didn't try to restart the middleware, because it only happened once.

So, what I use:

- All the settings are: Ok.
- Tunables: OK. It obeys to arc_min and arc_max now. WOW, not a big deal, but nice.
- Virtual machines: OK. Huge performance boost in Windows VMs, by the way. NOW we are talking, bhyve.
- 11.3 Jails: plex, syncthing, nextcloud, mariadb, xen-orchestra from sources, openvpn. Everything Ok and working as expected.
- SMB shares: OK
- Active directory join: OK.
- I immediately noticed that L2ARC is hitting harder, for whatever reason?
- It seems to me the log device is working better: at this point I think I am hallucinating...

What the heck is that ".bhyve_containers" dataset that appeared in the system pool? I don't know. Somebody?

Still I haven't upgraded the pools. I plan to do that 2 releases from now to finally get ZSTD compression and persistent l2cache. No need to rush really.

Best upgrade in years so far, possibly EVER.

Last edited:

bed

Dabbler
However, exact same thing here, only with XCP-ng. It turned out that somehow the password for CHAP changed to something far longer. I really don't remember if and when I changed it, but it seems unlikely, otherwise I would notice the iscsi sr missing. The damn thing did it :smile: !!! I am joking, it was really easy to fix. Actually I peeked /etc/ctl.conf and took the new (?) password from there.
I am not using any authentication. Wish it was as simple as that.

bigphil

Patron

I think we'd need some more information to see what is going on here. Are you seeing any APD messages in the vmkernel logs or anything else that would help determining why access is seemingly flakey? Without knowing how you have your iSCSI service setup on TrueNAS, and likewise your ESXi iSCSI setup, we're in the dark here. I'd start with looking at the ESXi host logs, vmkerenel log in particular and then an overview of your iSCSI setup too. Is your ESXi host up-to-date? If not, first update to 7.0 Update 1b and see if there is any improvement.

zizzithefox

Dabbler
I am not using any authentication. Wish it was as simple as that.
Maybe you've already thought of that, but what about comparing the old /etc/ctl.conf with the new one? You never know, maybe it is simple...

bed

Dabbler
Are you seeing any APD messages in the vmkernel logs or anything else that would help determining why access is seemingly flakey?
I'm just now getting into the log files. There are a few APD handle created with lock.
Its a basic 2 extents with 2 path MPIO on 2 subnets.
Thank you very much for the help but I'll need to start a new thread to cover everything in proper detail.

Maybe you've already thought of that, but what about comparing the old /etc/ctl.conf with the new one? You never know, maybe it is simple...
I had not thought of that and double checked my ctl.conf as soon as you mentioned it. It was an excellent idea.

twk95

Dabbler
Any idea why after upgrading my jails several times they still show as 12.1-RELEASE-p11? Used the script from a few posts ago and still hasn't changed. Happened on Release and again on U1

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
Any idea why after upgrading my jails several times they still show as 12.1-RELEASE-p11? Used the script from a few posts ago and still hasn't changed. Happened on Release and again on U1
Are they plug-ins? .. I run 3 different "modified" plug-ins and 2 of them won't upgrade from 12.1 (plex and tautuli) and the Unificontroller won't update from 11.3 P14. They all run fine though so I haven't spent too much time on them about it.

twk95

Dabbler
Are they plug-ins? .. I run 3 different "modified" plug-ins and 2 of them won't upgrade from 12.1 (plex and tautuli) and the Unificontroller won't update from 11.3 P14. They all run fine though so I haven't spent too much time on them about it.

Yeah they are. Had a hunch that might be why. Same here though they all work fine so not a big deal.

adrianwi

Guru
Finally felt brave enough to run the update, and I really needn't have worried. Although I had a minor blip with a Docker VM due to the NFS service, everything is running just as it was in 11.3-U5. I still need to update the jails and pools, but I'll leave things as they are for a few more days.

Although very minor, I was expecting to see some lines on the report graphs. I know there were some issues around this with 12.0 but I'm not seeing anything on 12.0-U1

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 13.35.27.jpg

Alecmascot

Guru
Although very minor, I was expecting to see some lines on the report graphs. I know there were some issues around this with 12.0 but I'm not seeing anything on 12.0-U1
Bug report already in.

Sugit

Cadet
Hi, I'm new here and a user of FreeNAS since a year.
I updwted from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12. Re-started the TrueNAS, restarted Windows10.
Now Windows won't accept credentials anymore.
I still see FREENAS in the network, when I click on it, Windows asks for credentials, and correctly suggests "root" as user. I enter the same password that works perfectly in the webbrowser. Windows says "The user name or password is incorrect".
Any suggestion very welcome, I am at a loss and cannot access my files.

Sugit

Cadet
I updwted from FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12. Re-started the TrueNAS, restarted Windows10.
Now Windows won't accept credentials anymore.
I still see FREENAS in the network, when I click on it, Windows asks for credentials, and correctly suggests "root" as user. I enter the same password that works perfectly in the webbrowser. Windows says "The user name or password is incorrect".
Any suggestion very welcome, I am at a loss and cannot access my files.

I think this was because under 11.3 I was using user=root. My theory is that under v.12.0 this has been disabled (I understand why, now, after reading for 2 hours in the manual).
Problem was solved by making a new user name and credentials.

Jatrabari

Contributor
Just updated from 11.3 U5 to 12.0 U1 and everything went smoothly for the OS upgrade. Jails and pools still remain to be updated later.

Services started ok, jails were up at boot and are working, SMB shares are up and running.

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
So, I upgraded from 11.3 U5 to 12.0 U1 today.
  1. I wasn't aware that 12.0 was out for a while already. It would be nice to have a feature that notifies of newly available stable trains.
  2. Upgrading to TrueNAS itself was mostly painless. SMB shares worked as expected right away.
  3. Upgrading jails took some more work: iocage upgrade takes ages. In one jail I had to fix pkg per what's described in this thread.
  4. What really stuck out as a sore thumb was that one of my jails complained about a non-existing devfs_ruleset 6. I ended up setting it to 4, just like the other jail that already was working. But it itches me that I can't easily find a list of possible values and their meanings anywhere in the documentation so that I effectively have no idea of what I actually have done. Also, iocage upgrade does multiple attempts to start the jail and just proceeds regardless of whether it was successful. In hindsight I should have fixed the devfs_ruleset problem before attempting an upgrade. I felt really lucky that in the end this did not seem to affect the outcome of the upgrade.
  5. My boot device apparently was getting a bit full :smile: . So I removed all my old 11.1 and 11.2 boot environments.